HybridZ

Cylinder heads with cams - new source? PowerTorque (OReilly Auto)

NewZed

I was looking around the OReilly site trying to figure out who "PowerTorque" is and find that they supply complete rebuilt cylinder heads.  The picture shows a head with exhaust liners, and a camshaft included, but the Compatibility is all the way back to 1976 so there's an issue already.  Interesting though that a  chain like OReilly Auto is selling big parts like this.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PTQ0/2321/02257.oap?year=1976&make=Nissan&model=280Z&vi=1209226&ck=Search_02257_PTQ_1209226_2513&mn=PowerTorque%28R%29&mc=PTQ&pt=02257&ppt=C0332

They sell long-blocks too - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Engine+Block-Long/02239/C0332.oap?year=1976&make=Nissan&model=280Z&vi=1209226&mn=PowerTorque%28R%29&mc=PTQ

although after reading some reviews on "power torque" I dont think id buy anything from them. I came across threads (just googled) deals with all sorts of brands, chevy, ford, dodge.. and all had one thing to say. 

DONT BUY ONE! haha, their warranty claims are a joke. 

but maybe just a cyl head is a diff story.. not many rotating parts to screw up lol

Even if it's 100% straight, clean, non-corroded, with new valves, fresh cuts on the seats, so on and so forth then that's not a bad a deal!

Their price on the MN47 is $760 though... not sure that's SUCH a stellar deal...

Edited by Gollum

Even if it's 100% straight, clean, non-corroded, with new valves, fresh cuts on the seats, so on and so forth then that's not a bad a deal!

When I finally begin tracking down all my turbo swap parts.. ordering a "rebuilt" cyl head dont sound so bad. If you take into account that most used p90 heads are $300-500 on average, factor in the fact that its all rebuilt and all you have to do is bolt it up.. thats a killer deal

Edited by ZXT_bean

If I were to sell a P90 I'd ask for $300 and feel great if/when I actually got it, but times are changing I guess. I bought an ENTIRE ENGINE L28ET about 4 years ago. The only thing I didn't get was the wiring harness, ECU, AFM, and the turbo. I spent $200 on it. I recouped most of my cost selling the bottom end, and still have a spare set of injectors, a spare P90, a spare turbo intake, etc. 

What cracks me up is how many people say "oh well you can't find deals like that anymore"... Ummm, you can. 

Here's a whole freakin car you can DRIVE HOME for under $1,000 which it seems some think is a "reasonable" price for just a pulled L28ET engine

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4015618174.html

Ray's an anomaly nice guy. Guy wouldn't take money for not just a CAT, but freakin cutting up old parts to make reducers to put on my existing pipes so I could bolt in the larger CAT. Got him to let me take his Fam out to ice cream at least.

Ray also understands the market and what he can get for some stuff. He knows that people are willing to pay for "turn key" parts and has made decent money at it. Ray also finds the best deals himself, and thus still makes money when he sells a head for $100 to someone like you Leon. :wink:

All in all, ray is one heck of a stand up guy. I bought my first turbo donor from him back when I was.... 16? Maybe 17.

Somebody must have seen a need and contacted all of the big parts houses.  Autozone sells heads also, but under the name Surefire, plus another brand, Moore.  The Surefire pictures are the same as the OReilly PowerTorque.  Same part number and price too.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1978-Nissan-Datsun-280Z/Cylinder-Head/_/N-ivfvlZ8znuv?filterByKeyWord=cylinder+head&fromString=search

Hopefully these rebuild shops are collecting cores from the wrecking yards and at least keeping the parts from hitting the smelter.  I know the local yards in the Portland area have companies that come in and strip certain parts from cars and just dump them all in a big crate to be shipped out to rebuild houses.

Edited by NewZed

The internet copy makes it seem like they have stock, since they have a core charge, and the part ships in 3-5 days.  The core charge would be forfeited if you don't send yours in. 

Part Number: 2321
Availability: Ships within 3-5 business days.
Warranty: 1 YR

if so, they would have a few cores available.  But I went through the checkout process and find that it's just a dream, probably just a rebuild service.  Send your core in and they probably just farm it out to a local machine shop.  My "requested quantity" was one.

For Your 1978 Nissan/Datsun 280Z 2.8L FI 6cyl
icn_heading_ship_home.gificn_heading_bopus.gif

Part Number: 2321
Availability: Ships within 3-5 business days.
Warranty: 1 YR
Sorry, the requested quantity for this special order item is not available. Please adjust the quantity.

Would have been nice to know that someone else out there was hoarding parts.

Edited by NewZed