HybridZ

Toying with the idea of starting a 240z restoration but...

I have a 96 300zx NA 5-speed that is basically the perfect car. It's a beautiful car and is an absolute joy to drive. PlentY of power for a daily, and a head turner to boot! Plus, it's paid for.

My first car was a 78 280z 2+2 3-speed auto. My dad and I restored the interior/exterior, and I absolutely LOVED that car. Unfortunately it wasn't much of a performer, and I sold it for something with more power. 

Now here is what I want to know: Is a 240z going to drive like a turd? It's hard to compare it to my 280 because that car was the heavier 2+2 and a god-forsaken 3-speed automatic. You also have to consider that I did next to no work on the motor of that car, and I intend to rebuild the motor in a 240 if I get one.

TL;DR - Will I be disappointed going from a 300zx NA to a 240z?

How would you feel about driving a MGB?

The B and the Z are essentially of the same era and level of sophistication and compared to your preferred cars, are way cruder.

You may find them charming, you may find them unbearable.

I moved from a '71 240z directly into a '90 RX-7 and was shocked...the Mazda seemed like a Cadillac after the harsher, noisier Datsun.

After eight years, I'm now working on a 280z and am very interested to see what I think of it when it's done.

Don't get me wrong I love the s30's. I didn't sell my 280z because it didn't have enough options. It had to go because a mechanic I brought it to messed something up and we couldn't figure it out. The next guy that owned it swapped the motor and it didn't fix it even (I'm pretty sure the problem is electronic). Also, I did want something with a little more get up and go. That thing had absolutely no pep.

I think I need to clarify that my TL;DR is mostly directed at how peppy the 240 is in comparison to an NA Z32. I don't care about power windows or anything like that!

Much like the British sports cars I alluded to before, the Z provides the sensation of speed far beyond it's actual performance.

"Peppy" would be a very accurate description actually, they are quick but not particularly fast.

You've got a goodly amount of low end torque ( I almost never used 1st gear in the 5-speed) in a fairly light chassis, so yeah, peppy would be accurate.

The suspension is crude and very heavy, wheel choices are limited as are rubber options.

Brakes are fine for regular use, the electrics are weirdly complicated but fortunately limited (no power windows, etc.).

The interior is very simple, much less sound/weather proofing than we're used to, so they're noisy.

Ergonomics are a personal decision.

my TL;DR is mostly directed at how peppy the 240 is in comparison to an NA Z32.

The main purpose of Hybridz, as I understand it, is to discuss ways to add pep.  Have you browsed through some of the threads?  Check out the FAQ's section.  Rebuilding an L24 wouldn't be high on anyone's list of ways to add pep though.

What does TL;DR stand for?

I have a 96 300zx NA 5-speed that is basically the perfect car.

Now here is what I want to know: Is a 240z going to drive like a turd?

To answer your question...........no, turds don't corner as well.

And in spite of what was mentioned above, don't compare an MGB to a 240Z. They are nothing alike. The MGB is far less sophisticated in addition to being a convertible with the associated noise and rattles that go along with an older less sound structure.

If you're expecting it to be smoother, faster, and more quiet than your current car, you'll be disappointed.

My suggestion is to drive one. No one here can quantify the experience as well as you can experience from a little time behind the wheel. Based on what you wrote, my guess,is that you won't be happy with a 240Z. You seem to be looking for a modern driving experience in a 40 year old car. If you're unwilling to accept it for what it is, you'll be disappointed.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

You can make almost anything on wheels fast with money. With that being said, my 240z puts a smile on my face everytime I drive her.

+1 on browsing the forum...you'll see there are a lot of people on this site with a little extra pep under the hood....

First day I drove my Z, I was counting how many people looked at my Z. And after that day, I lost count. I am not driving any car , I am driving a piece of history. I can't count how many time old folks in their 50 60 come by me , shake hand and told me a bunch of story about the Z being their first car.

@Clocker Thank you for the insight. You said basically what I expected; I just wanted some confirmation!

@NewZed No, I know that the potential in an l24 is limited. I think it's a safe bet that any car I buy would benefit from a fresh rebuild...and I've never done it before so it would be an interesting experience.

Too long; didn't read. It's a summary.

I figure I can start modding somewhere else and end with a swap (l28et probably) in a few years.

@T-Bone028 I'm glad to hear you are happy with your Z. Is it stock?

@psdenno I definitely think you are right about needing to drive one. My hope is that it will have the same feel as driving my 280 but with more response!

You know, I don't really have a problem with the road noise in an S30, but if I end up getting another one I will have to do SOMETHING about the exhaust smell. It comes through the hatch doesn't it?

Also, I don't think I'd ever do a V8 swap into a Z-car. There's something about keeping the car Nissan that I really like.

If you are about driving a sports car, then you can be happy with the 240z with some work. Drive like a turd? if anything, the early Z(well set-up) brings back the driving experience of a sports car.  Stay away from mods that induce harsh road noise, insulate the car, put triples on the L24 and keep up with your 300zx!

Really, That "Drives like a Turd" expression is going to really depend on you. Your 96' is much more comfortable than the S30 started out as. There's 20 years between the two and in the Z32 Nissan really wanted to make a flagship of a car so they put a lot into the Z31's and Z32's. The S30's were built as cheap sports car that would blow the more expensive cars of the day off the track, and that's what they did, but to keep cost down Datsun didn't do a lot more than they had to, and unfortunately didn't use the best steel in the bodies.  That being said, the S30's really carved their nitch in the US and world markets.  They are not underpowered, especially if you upgrade the EFI to a modern MAP based system.  The L28 Is a workhorse.  If you're going to stick with the L24, then I'd definitely recommend going with a rebuilt set of SU's  or better a set of triple Mikuni's. I doubt you'll be unset about it. But really before you spend the money, and get annoyed/discouraged/excites/gisyourpants Go check with your local Z club and find someone with a 240Z and take a ride.  If that doesn't do it for you, consider an engine swap. The VQ Swap can get you near 300HP w/o a turbo. V8 swaps are fun too.  it's really up to you. I know My 92' Z32NA is the slowest of the running Z's in my local Z club. But it's my daily.  

Edited by Pharaohabq

My z had the 280zx block with a 280z head, tripple webors carbs, full lengh header, acell ignition yes it wad fast but, i always got stomped by my friends gt mustang...i dont know alot about the motors to make it faster. i got a suprise for him im stuffing a 5.4 triton motor in mine. It will be reliable and fast off of a stock motor. But thats just my opinion..

Edited by mikey240z

This whole "drives like a turd" thing has been too narrowly defined as "power", and possible lack thereof.

A nice stock Z has more than enough hp, torque and handling to provide plenty of entertainment.

More pertinent to the spirit of Nick's original question I think, would be a discussion of the experience rather than the numbers.

By most metrics, his "perfect" car is in every way superior to the 240 and on paper at least, he'd be crazy NOT to be disappointed.

The very existence of this forum proves that the car must be viewed through a different/wider lens.

Otherwise, we'd all be hypocrites for driving anything but an Ariel Atom.

Changing from the 300ZX to the 240Z is going to feel like stepping back in time.

The ergonomics, such as they are- are stone age crude.

There is little effort made to hide the fact that all the spinny, heated, greasy bits are only a thin sheetmetal thickness away from your body.

The Z is "mechanical" in all senses of the word, the ZX is not.

Whether you'd consider the car a turd or not would seem to be more closely tied to your preference as to how intrusive you want your car to be.

The Z demands/rewards more involvement.