HybridZ

Requesting an Expert's opinon.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Point: When installing a high performance cam in a used head, you have to buy new rocker arms cause of the wear pattern between the old cam and old arms.

It has come to my attention that http://www.deltacam.com/ sells remanufactured rocker arms for a significant savings: (4$ versus 16$). The way they finish these arms is to grind/polish off the wear pattern. They claim they are as good as OEM.

What do you people think? And is there anyone who has used them? Would it be better just to pay it safe?

In theory resurfacing should work just fine. Regrind the surface to the same specs, harden the surface to the same spec, you should be good to go as long as you take up the material loss in the lash pad and restore the rocker geometry. Had I known of this option, I would have bought them. Instead I got soaked for $300 on turbo rocker arms.

Well, I have to disagree here. Having bought "remanufactured rocker arms" I am not happy with them.

My take is thus:

The stock rockers have a hardened surface on the point of friction,(cam touches rocker arm). When you "refinish" them, you grind it down past this point. On nearly half of my rocker arms, I have a nice divot where the cam rotates....

I think Bryan Little addresses this on his page, the Datsun Garage.

Somewhere I also read recently about using chevy luv rocker arms. Apparently a much better option. Anyone know where that link is? I can't find it.

-Bob

Originally posted by Bob H:

Well, I have to disagree here. Having bought "remanufactured rocker arms" I am not happy with them.

My take is thus:

The stock rockers have a hardened surface on the point of friction,(cam touches rocker arm). When you "refinish" them, you grind it down past this point. On nearly half of my rocker arms, I have a nice divot where the cam rotates....

I think Bryan Little addresses this on his page, the Datsun Garage.

Somewhere I also read recently about using chevy luv rocker arms. Apparently a much better option. Anyone know where that link is? I can't find it.

-Bob

I thought the rockerarm is forged and the contact is braised on :confused: I don't think the contact is forged for the simple fact that the cam is not cut from a forged metal. (Not that I know of. If it is, that's waste of forging) I think they usually design the the cam and its contact surface with same harness of the metal for an even wear. But who knows, It's Nissan tongue.gif

I've hard taking the off the contact suface to re-braised the new one on. But I've never seen that before. MSA had single rockerarm for $12 a piece when I bought mine.

Just be thankful that L6 hcame with 2valve head. (12 rockerarms vs. 24 rockerarms on DOHC)

Originally posted by Bob H:

My take is thus:

-Bob

It sounds like they were not properly treated after refinishing - a serious problem.

I would like to know what the article said.

As for the rocker arms, Delta told me that their rocker arms are fine with all the cam manufacturers.

I have to admit I was skeptical at first, and I do not know what they do to them exactly, but they look almost silver.

I have seen stock rocker arms that have divots and groves in them.

SO far my set is working fine on my crower cam. I have not been able to drive the car around beyond up and down the road since the brakes are still not working right. The cam was shining up nice, and I did not have any abnormal wear like eating a lobe.

I have done a good amount of research on this subject and have found there are a good number of cams out there that were not heat treated the proper way and that is the reason for most of the bad wear tendancies.

The cam is a cast part, I have yet to find a forged stick, or a billet stick. I dont think they exist. Allot of the after market guys dont heat treat the billet and here istheproblem. The stock Nissan cam is cold chilled treated and it is a much better hardness treating then the standard heat treating of the stick. They are harder and way less susceptable to the heavy scoring you find on allot of cams.

The rockers have a silver soldered contact pad, and they also are heat treated.

The best setup you could do is to get a stock Nissan Cam(or make sure the billet you are buying iss cold chilled hardness treated) and have a grinder grind the specs you want. True the base circle will be smaller, but you can correct the geometry with the lash pads. I would like to look into the chevy luv rocker. I would be willing to be they have a 1.5 rocker ratio and not the 1.45 rocker ratio like the stock Nissan rocker. I got mine from MSA and thay were alright. I did not take the time to determine the exact rocker ratios of them. I guess I should have just to be sure.

A good placeto get a cam is at Elgin cams, they use good sticks and they acn grind what ever you want. They are priced very good. Talk to John, he will set you up with a good part. I think I will give Dave a call at innovator about the rockers. :D