HybridZ

Anybody buy a JCI kit recently?

I've been making slow progress on mine. When I first put it in a few months ago, the part that relocates an idler pulley didn't fit. He calls it the spigot. Went to napa to see if they had a bearing with the same size OD as the one in the LS pulley with a smaller ID. The one he sent was too small. No go. I called John and he said machinist had a heart attack and is in hospital or something and went and checked and batch is made wrong. Of course I got the 1st from that batch. He sent me another bearing with a little piece of metal bent into a curve. It's supposed to take up the slack between the spigot and the bearing but its still not enough and I don't want to use it because its not even a bushing.It has about 1/32 of slop when it's installed. It's been a few months and he said he still hasn't been able to get the proper one. Anyone else has this problem? I don't want to do to a machinist to have this made, or borrow my friends lathe because I paid for the part and got sent the wrong one. I'm getting close to start time and can't even start the car with that piece.

I ordered kit 2-3 months ago and it's been sitting in my shed waiting till I have time to actually put it in. Will be a few till I am able to actually drop the motor, if I have the right piece can give it to you till you get the right one to give back.

I've been making slow progress on mine. When I first put it in a few months ago, the part that relocates an idler pulley didn't fit. He calls it the spigot. Went to napa to see if they had a bearing with the same size OD as the one in the LS pulley with a smaller ID. The one he sent was too small. No go. I called John and he said machinist had a heart attack and is in hospital or something and went and checked and batch is made wrong. Of course I got the 1st from that batch. He sent me another bearing with a little piece of metal bent into a curve. It's supposed to take up the slack between the spigot and the bearing but its still not enough and I don't want to use it because its not even a bushing.It has about 1/32 of slop when it's installed. It's been a few months and he said he still hasn't been able to get the proper one. Anyone else has this problem? I don't want to do to a machinist to have this made, or borrow my friends lathe because I paid for the part and got sent the wrong one. I'm getting close to start time and can't even start the car with that piece.

I had the same problem. I just had a machinist make me another one.

By the way, the picture 280Zcar posted is not how the JCI A/C kit is supposed to be mounted. See picture for proper mounting (According to John).

post-14557-0-22300500-1395777307_thumb.jpg

There is another option that mounts a Sanden SD7 mini compressor on the passenger side down low and back that runs off the back balancer grooves. Keeps the top of the engine a lot cleaner and tucks n very nice..

My AC compressor and alternator are mounted as shown in Alainburon's photo. Don't know if anything has changed since mine was done - it was the first - but the one I have is solid and trouble free.

Edited by Phantom

• 1 year later...

I know I'm bringing this up from the grave but I have questions...

I recently just got my jci ac compressor and mount and there is something that I'm not understanding. The compressor hits my water temp sender! Where can I move it to? I cannot use the passenger side water temp hole as that is already being used by my water temp gauge from prosport. I see phantom has his drilled and tapped into his head? This bothers me because I don't like the idea of drilling my head especially since it's on the engine! Plus if I ever decide to get aftermarket heads.. I can't expect to drill/tap those and keep a warranty. So where can I locate this to? Also the JCI kit proved a very thick and large aluminum washer that is threaded with a bolt and plastic washer in it? The bolt is the exact same thread size as my water temp sender... so I guess this was used to block off that hole? So what is the threaded washer for? Unfortunately no instructions were included in my package.

and last... what belt should I get? Right now I have the ac delete belt on which will be way to small for this. Would a stock belt work? 

that was for using the stock datsun water temp gauge. I use a aftermarket prosport gauge and have used the water temp hole on the passenger side. The ecu on the other hand STILL needs it's own water temp sensor and am currently using the stock location. However the jci mount for the ac compressor causes the compressor to hit that sensor location. From the pix that phantom has, it looks like the moved the sender to the front of the head and drilled/tapped it there... however can that be done with the head on the engine? won't metal filings fall into the fluid? I don't want to spend money on a new head bolts and gasket just to remove my head so I can install a damn water temp sensor. On top of that... if I ever buy new heads aka AFR's, I know drilling and tapping those will void any warranty I have probably.

So where can I relocate my ecu's water temp sensor? And what is that giant threaded washer for?

cause my gauge uses a certain ohm sender vs what the ecu uses. At least that's from what I know. The gauge came with it's own sender so I assume it has a certain resistance it needs to read vs what the stock sensor produces.

Edited by CableSrv

Ok, just called John and he clarified the issue. The head has a freeze plug at the front.. (I thought that was a cast area and was meant to be drilled through) After pulling the freeze plug, his huge thick washer with inner threads for the temp sender gets put in it's place. It acts as the new freeze plug.

So Socorob, you were absolutely completely correct! I guess I assumed you were talking about the block freeze plug that is bolted in. I didn't think that area on the head was a freeze plug... apparently I'm retarded and it all makes sense now.

So when I get home, I'll need to drain the coolant and pop that freeze plug out and get something to hammer in the washer in it's place. 

So last thing I need to know is the belt... anyone got a part number for the belt I need? or does adding back the ac and moving the idler pulley to end of the alternator bracket let me use the stock belt?

So got the washer pressed back in the freeze plug area and got the compressor mounted... went to use the bushing for the alternator and apparently I need to press out the original bushing or else this bushing won't go in... ugh... really wish there was a warning that if you ever plan to go AC on the JCI kit it's best to do it BEFORE you put the engine in the car as it's a complete pain in the ass later to remove all the crap.