HybridZ

Just starting my ls1/t56 build!

After running a stock 72 tank to have a square "baffle" around the pickup for 3 years in a variety of situations:

I would install a small plastic or aluminum tank with an intermal pump.  I might even look at a system that has two pumps for safety in a NO2 situation (I don't know crap about NO2, yet).  The stock tank takes up a lot of room and makes mounting batteries, trailer hitches and parachute mounts a real pain.  Something smaller would be fine for track use and would just give a lot more options.  My tank will run totally dry and keep the car running on the street, autocross and drag racing.  But, on LONG sweepers, I need 1/2-tank of gas to keep from getting sputtering. It is sustained Gs that seem to be a big problem for me.  So, I take a little lawn mower gas jug with me to track days, so I can top up when it starts to sputter.

• 1 month later...

So just bought a huge list of things again.

Summit 16 gallon tank with sender and foam.

Summit tank mount

3x prosport gauges 2 1/16 tinted (fuel level, oil pressure, water temp)

ls1 sender adapters (16mx1.5 to 1/8npt & 12mx1.5 to 1/8npt)

stagg shocks and votland springs (these are apparently on back order from stagg for 5 months.... so ended up getting kyb excel g struts with votland springs)

Wilwood 1in MC with special adapters

vintage air gen 2 mini with face plate and hoses

hatch strut since mine is blown

Speedhut revolution 4.5 in gps speedometer and tach

I have already installed a 8in booster from a 280z and while that seems better I feel I have more pedal travel than before. So trying the 1in mc and seeing how that works.

Also bought new front wheel bearings and ball joints. 

Edited by CableSrv

Put on the new 1in wilwood MC and found out something extremely stupid... apparently I had my brake check valve backwards... So flipped it and went for a drive.. I HAVE AMAZING BRAKES! 280z booster with 1in wilwood is awesome. I also managed to install my new hatch strut and woot no more 2x4 to hold it up.

Now I just need to wait for the suspension and gauges to arrive and she should be a great drive!

• 4 weeks later...

So suspension finally came in and had some issues with defective springs.... but overall rides awesome now! Vogtland springs + kyb excel g's! I also got my summit 16gal fuel tank in and got it mounted and plumb'd and made sure everything still worked, and everything fires right up. Now I have to find a way to cover up that giant hole in the hatch... On other news I finally got my prosport gauges in as well as my speed hut speedometer and tach!! My god are they gorgeous. I will probably post up a few pictures.

I also got my jci compressor and mount kit and got it mounted! As well as the vintage air unit and wired up. She blows pretty well however, I'm still lacking in condenser and dryer/hoses. So with it being close to winter, I figured I'd put it off for awhile and wait till spring to start back up on the ac part. It's actually getting pretty nice temps in Texas now to ride without ac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmc9SGwGR4

there is a video of the vintage ac install plus a small preview of the prosport gauges.

So what specifically was defective on the springs. I also have the the Vogtlands sitting in the garage patiently awaiting me to become unlazy and get the damn car off the rotisserie. Was it something substantial that can be measured free load style, or was it only noticeable upon loading the spring? 

I had a weak set of fronts. For some odd reason when I put them on, the car would bottom out complete just sitting there. As in full coil bind! No one could figure out why, so jdmwerks just sent me another pair of the rears and that works perfectly now. From what I could tell... if I put my weight on the fronts which should be marked VA, it was easier to compress them compared to the rear HA's. It was pretty pronounced on how much less effort it was to compress them. However I chalked that up to the first bit being slightly progressive... and put them on the car and let the weight load them up... cept it just kept lowering and lowering till my wheel had .25 of a gap between fender and tread. Turned my wheel and noticed all the coils were touching each other and was like... hmm that's not suppose to happen. So I assumed I had them on wrong and swapped them to the back... same thing happened back there. Either way ended up getting swapped for a second pair of HA's

VA's are 152lbs

HA's are 170lbs

So now I have a full 170lbs all around!

• 3 weeks later...

Man it's been awhile since I've done an update!!!

So did a rattle can paint job, installed new carpet, and got a stereo + amp being installed this weekend. I will probably take some pictures/videos of everything I've done so far and post them up soon.

So been driving her for a bit and there seems to be a rather big issue. I'm getting maybe 9-10mpg on this engine. The only code being thrown last I checked was the crank relearn code since I put a 99+ pcm on a 98 engine. LS1Tech said this code would not put the engine in limp mode... but why am I getting such shitty mpg ?

I'm running a '98 LS1 with totally stock internals.  The ECU was reflashed to 2002 parameters. T-56 with .5:1 6th gear and a 3.70:1 R200 LSD.  Tires are 225/50-16's.  The worst fuel economy I ever got was when I was racing at Texas Motor Speedway where I got 10 MPG.  Normal driving which is usually fairly spirited is 14-17 around town and 21-24 on the highway.  I calculate my fuel economy with every tankful so I have 12 years of records to back this up. If you're only getting 10 MPG around town you are either going on very short trips where it doesn't really get warmed up, driving it extremely hard, or you need to have someone look at the ECU parameters - or all of these. :-)

Phantom do you consider 17 mile trips short? That's my distance from home to work. I don't drive it hard at all! Only maybe once or twice a week do I actually stomp on it. This is the pcm that chevy thunder gave me with the newer style harness. I think it's a 99 pcm? I'll check my plugs tonight to see if they look fouled at all.