HybridZ

Driveline vibration questions

So is your diff and trans parallel with 2 degrees of angle on both sides to the driveshaft? I'm awaiting the lift to free up so I can check all this out. I will check the u join phasing and angles. Even if they're right I'm still tempted to pull off the shaft and bring it to a local ship to verify the balance. I want to go to zcon but couldn't stand the ride up there as it is.

Edited by socorob

"2 degrees of angle on both sides to the drive shaft".

Correct. The rear flange of the trans and the angle of the driveshaft should not be more than 3 degrees. Same with the differential flange to the driveshaft.

Mine is now 2 and 2. The rear was between 4 and 5 before I shimmed it up.. which I now know was the problem along with the phase of the u-joints. I'm actually surprised my car didn't vibrate more!

Edited by whatnow123

Driveshaft issues were the culprit with my vibration issue last year. Had a 3" custom driveshaft made, no problems anymore. I have also had tape on wheel weights come off and give me fits until I figured it out.

I have a set of 16x7 Centerline wheels on my car. Got them back in 1997. The ONLY way they will balance is with weights on BOTH the inside and the outside of the wheel. I forget how many times people have asked me why I have weights on the outside of my wheels. They look like crap but I don't have vibration.

I have a set of 16x7 Centerline wheels on my car. Got them back in 1997. The ONLY way they will balance is with weights on BOTH the inside and the outside of the wheel. I forget how many times people have asked me why I have weights on the outside of my wheels. They look like crap but I don't have vibration.

Yep. If it only has weights on the inside, you've got a static balance. Lots of cars will have a vibration with a static balance.

I rotated the tires and the vibration moved around with the wheels,

. they ran it twice for me, and said they are all perfect now. I got it out and now the vibration is around 80. The new balancing took over half the vibration out and it moved it up in speed some.

At this point I'm going to trust these guys have them properly balanced and move on down the line trying to figure out what's vibrating.

Trust but verify.  Old cold war saying.  Ronald Reagan.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably going to my 1st track night tomorrow (if it doesn't rain), so I started checking everything I could and found the drivers front spindle nut was slightly loose. I checked them all twice when I first put it all together so not sure how that happened. That took a lot of the vibration out. Now all I'm left with is a slight vibration above 80. Do y'all think if the alignment is off that it could cause a little vibration?

Find a shop that can "true" your tires?  Don't worry too much about getting it perfect-I had a track day when I kept picking up OPR and that caused a ton of vibrations that I couldn't predict nor tune out.  I just kept on driving!

It's hard to find a shop around here to do a proper alignment! I called about 5 shops with my last car trying to find one that would put it as close to my specs as possible. They all told me flat out no, they just get it in the green on the machine. Ended up having to go to a shop 2 towns over to get it done. Chances pf me finding a place around here to do anything specialized is very low. Do you put your konis on full hard when you did a road course? I have no idea what to use for a starting point.