HybridZ

Another LSx S30 Running - Wow! What a Car!!

Here's my 6+ year project, not finished, but finally on the road. It's a solid '73 from California, rattle canned black for now. I've been trying to decide on a paint, wrap, or "dipmycar" scheme.

It has a stock LS2 and 6-spd. out of a GTO with a Speartech engine harness. I had a professional weld in an inconspicuous   (as possible) full cage.

I screwed around with the grill and tail lights, but otherwise it's a typical build, with JCI mounts / TTT suspension arms / Q45 diff. / Modern Motorsports axle stuff / Ariz. Z Car Wilwoods / Coilovers w/Bilstein's / 16 X 8 Rota RB-R's w/ 225/50 sticky Yoko's / Z28 Gas tank / Ron Francis wiring / Single 3" Burns Stainless muffler and Random Tech cats / Fire system… OK, those last two are not part of a typical build.

All this stuff adds up to the most outrageously fun car I've ever owned. I knew 2400 pounds (1089 Kilo's) and 400 torques  would be entertaining, but I underestimated the response, the thrust, the sound!…it's exhilarating!. I still climb out of the sucker with a big 'ol grin on my face.

Please click on the link for many more photo's.

http://s351.photobucket.com/user/oob-la-dee/library/1973%20Datsun%20Z?sort=6&page=1

The replacement grill was needed after doing some aero ducting to the rad. I blocked off air from under the bumper, behind the turn signals, and foamed the gap between the rad support and the bottom of the hood.

I'm going to get into the taillight specifics in a separate "show your rear end" type thread.

The ONLY way this successful build happened was because of this wonderful community- THANK YOU HYBRIDZ!!!

Steve

P1020665_zps4lwwj7ee.jpg

P1020661_zps0ewade6w.jpg

P1020659_zps1hkuihbh.jpg

P1020673_zpsd57keivu.jpg

Way freaking cool!! and I bet it hauls the mail!

One caveat to the Camaro tank, somewhere under a 1/4 tank, if you nail it or heavy cornering for some spirited driving, it will starve the fuel pump and cut off the engine till it gets fuel again. Haven't had any issues at all 1/4 tank + but it freaked me out first time it happened as I thought "WTF is wrong now" but I rarely let the fuel get that low anyway. Just wanted to pass that info on.

Way freaking cool!! and I bet it hauls the mail!

One caveat to the Camaro tank, somewhere under a 1/4 tank, if you nail it or heavy cornering for some spirited driving, it will starve the fuel pump and cut off the engine till it gets fuel again. Haven't had any issues at all 1/4 tank + but it freaked me out first time it happened as I thought "WTF is wrong now" but I rarely let the fuel get that low anyway. Just wanted to pass that info on.

Good to know. Thanks

Wow... as i'm here gathering info on my build, this build is definitley motivation for where I want to be in the near future! nice car!

I daily drive an 04 gto and I know with my odds and ends, and tune I'm hanging pretty well with the LS2 GTO guys. That being said, the GTO weighs 3725 without me or my crap in it, and my car is a blast to drive. I can only imagine the feeling in this 2500 lb car!

I've been considering going single or twins but some builds look like there isnt enough room, but yours makes it look so spacious! lol

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments, I really appreciate it!. Thanks too for the heads up about the fuel level, whatsnow123, great info!.  And I hear ya Keith, my 225's, as you know, don't offer much in the way of traction, I'd really get my senses warped if I ran slicks!. I'll see if I have some more ducting pix.

Steve

Thanks, guys. Good thing I didn't know what an absolute blast it is to drive, I'd probably have rushed to finish the build…. and cut some corners.

More pics of the grill/front, please.

Additional photo's emailed.

Steve

• 3 months later...