HybridZ

Engine swap choices

Ive searched around and cant really decide so I thought I would bounce some ideas off you guys.

Things I want from the swap:

300hp

Reliable enough to run on the track for long periods of time (car will be an endurance racer)

Parts that are decently easy to come by

Straight 6 layout because I love it.

Engines I have come up with are:

Rb25det

2jzgte

Some kind of bmw 6?

Are there any others I havent considered besides the l28et? I already have one thats going in my Zx.

You forgot the 1jz.

Personally since Im doing the 2jz swap im biased. But the L28et is easy but the 2jz basically stock will be the most reliable. 2jz with cams, exhaust, intake and proper turbo will surpass 300 like nothing. Im doing an na to t so all you need is arp head studs and gte head gasket, tap the block for oil return then done. The higher na like compression will be great off boost and on boost itll haul ass. The na block can be had cheap but the trans you can choose r154, 350z cd009, t56, or stick with auto trans. 

The 2j you can get parts over the counter still so wont be a big deal to get a water pump or belts. 

The only issue to the na to t is the early models use the distributor which limits the size of turbo selection. Other than that its a fairly cheap swap, the 2jzgte starts around 2k minimum. A Na motor can be had for $500 with everything minus trans which gives you an extra 1500 to add to the motor build. Both get you to the same goal but the na saves you some money but nothing crazy. 

The hardest part of all the swaps is wiring even for the l28et wiring is always the toughest part. Everything else is easy per say.

Where is a good place to get an r154?

usual suspects, Ebay, Craigslist especially larger cities and states.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-Supra-MK3-JZA70-R154-5-speed-Manual-Transmission-/261961381022?hash=item3cfe1d749e&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R154-R-154-Transmission-from-a-MK3-Turbo-Supra-/131550629426?hash=item1ea1074e32&vxp=mtr

Don't give up on the good old L28et though as it bolts right in and will check off your want list as well.

again the DOHC head Derek is putting together will be cheaper than almost any swap, and guys think over 400HP will be attainable...NA.. thats before you turbo it. obviously 75% of picking the engine is by what you actually want but what other engine can meet your requirments and needs the least amount of work??

however, not an inline 6, I will be buying a Mazda 20b to throw into something in the next 2yrs...

again the DOHC head Derek is putting together will be cheaper than almost any swap

How do you figure that? That head isn't going to be cheap by any definition of the word. $10-15k for just the complete head. Doesn't include EMS or any changes to the block.

Edited by rturbo 930

His pricing says 4 or 5k for the head bare.. It's like post 66. Even if it came out to be 10k fit everything that's about what most 2j swaps are and you'd have none of the hassles of fitment. And who knows what they'll be worth after

Edited by Sovereign Z

His pricing says 4 or 5k for the head bare.. It's like post 66. Even if it came out to be 10k fit everything that's about what most 2j swaps are and you'd have none of the hassles of fitment. And who knows what they'll be worth after

Yes, bare. As I understand it, that means absolutely bare, not even machined. A 2JZ swap might cost 10k, but to say that Derek's DOHC head will be "cheaper than almost any swap" is really just not accurate. If you look through that thread, there are other price quotes for a more finished product, and it's over 10k.

Here:

Because a twin cam head for the S30 can't be produced in the numbers that will be purchased by S30 owners for under $8000.00. And that's if you're creative and can scrounge. $10,000.00 or more if you don't want to scrounge and would like to make reasonable power.

Edited by rturbo 930

Again even so, 400hp na.. Only minimal weight gains and its just because it's not a "new" motor that the option gets over looked.

I'm failing to see a downside.. It's not the cheapest option (sbc??) But it'll give you a car capable of beating 95% of cars off the line and you'll be able to get parts anywhere (not so with an RB)

Edited by Sovereign Z

Derek hasn't even completed the first head yet, so any power numbers are just educated guesses. And, god forbid something happens and you damage the head beyond repair, you're in BIG trouble. And lets not forget that cams are completely custom. Derek's head is going to be interesting for sure, but I don't see it as an alternative to a swap yet.

As for OP's question, I'd look into a BMW swap, specifically an M52/S52. They're easy and relatively inexpensive to find (M52 moreso), and respond well to boost which will easily get you 300hp. Ron Tyler already did this swap and documented it, so the hard work has been done. Parts are easy to find. They're also not too heavy - about the same as the L engine. The 2JZ is pretty damn heavy, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by rturbo 930

Yes, bare. As I understand it, that means absolutely bare, not even machined. A 2JZ swap might cost 10k, but to say that Derek's DOHC head will be "cheaper than almost any swap" is really just not accurate. If you look through that thread, there are other price quotes for a more finished product, and it's over 10k.

Here:

I agree, if you're spending 10K on most swaps, you're doing it wrong, or paying for someone else to do it and probably buying all new parts/crate engine.

I'm not sure I've ever spent more than about $2K on a swap, including the engine, maybe $2.5K. That is of course, myself performing all labour, and I usually use less mainsteam engines, so they will cost less than the "it" engines.

Im actually looking into the 7mgte or 1uzfe swaps now. Either can support the power I want and seem to be cheap.

cog·ni·tive dis·so·nance
noun
PSYCHOLOGY

1. the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.