HybridZ

v8 frame twisting with fiberglass body panels

Hi all.

New to this forum and slightly new to Z's. Had an 05 350z before now onto a 76' 280z. I have a 5.3/4l60e waiting to swap in at the moment. I had planned on going full fiberglass front quarters, doors, hatch to rear quarters to drop weight and get the flares built in for a better look. But something that I just thought of is twisting.

With all the steel panels replaced with fiberglass I wonder how much rigidity would be lost from the over all car vs. stock. Especially when you add a 330ish hp tourqe monster v8 in the equation. Would the car just twist like a pretzel as soon as I get on it 1 good time?

Does anybody have experience with this happening or know of such? All the searches I did pulled up people installing body panels nothing after they drive the car.

Thanks for any insight.

Body panels themselves have very little effect on the chassis twisting if at all. The weight lost if anything might reduce the stress on the chassis because it is not strictly power that harms anything it is GRIP with lots of power behind it that causes these kinds of issues. So if you put sticky tires on the back end which I am assuming you will because you are running a V8 then you should reinforce the chassis somehow. Bad Dog Frame rails and/or a cage would probably be worth it. 

Not going full sticky, this will be street driven a lot more then tracked. Probably just some really good P zero's or maybe some cheater slicks.

Thanks for your input, ill look into those frame rails. Probably not going cage just yet. If I start getting serious with the track then defiantly.

The nickname for the 240Z was the "flexi-flyer" because of it's lack of torsional rigidity.  The 280Z has more steel in it and is somewhat stiffer but will still flex.  I would strongly recommend front and rear strut tower braces and at least a 4-pt roll bar.  If you can tie the roll bar to the roof of the car that would be even better.  I have this without being tied to the roof and it has survived an LS1/T56 installation for 12 years of driving.

The 280Z has full length frame rails where the 240Z did not. If you're going for torsional rigidity then stronger frame rails really aren't going to contribute to that all that much.  If your stock frame rails are in good shape you shouldn't have to do anything there.

Look at Racetep strut tower braces.  They are not adjustable but are very sturdy.

yes. strut bars are on my "definitely" list. Im going to keep the truck style intake for its tourqe factor so im undecided on the front bar. ill have to make a custom cowl/corvette type hood(will be a great ram air setup). Not sure i can run a traditional bar with that. Maybe do some triangulation and tie them into where the old hood latch is(going with pins)?

There are people who run no chassis stiffening with huge hp. Not the best idea, but you can do it for a while.

If you decide to go down that road, search "chassis stiffening" and you'll find a TON of info on how to improve the situation. My favorite example for a street car is Dan McGrath's car (username 74_5.0L_Z -- check his photo album). He basically did a convertible cage inside the Z body, so no A pillar bar or halo to smack your head on, and his car was wrecked in the front so he did a whole new tube front end. You could use the existing front and still make use of a lot of his ideas. His whole damn car is pretty awesome.