HybridZ

Electric power steering. $100 > $1500

Yes, I do. But my car will be in the resto  phase quite a bit longer before I can test it. All reports I have heard indicate the speedo sensor force adjustment work perfect. Nearly zero assist at highway speed and full assist at stop. 

Edited by wheee!

This is getting a bit confusing.  Different systems using differing technologies, all with the goal of reducing steering effort.  As far as I could tell, the system I used (Zpowersteering) allowed for an adjustment to the amount of steering effort reduction, but it had no correlation to the car's road speed.  This was done via a simple rheostat-type knob connected to the power steering motor itself.  So, if I wanted to reduce the low-speed, parking lot effort required, I had to turn up the dial an appropriate amount.  But, if I left it in that position, it seemed to provide an unwanted, over-assisted, and numbing feel at highway speeds.  And, it was impractical to continually change the setting on that adjustment knob while driving along.

Others seem to be describing a system that alters the amount of assist based on the roadspeed of the car, and that sounds much more ideal.  Can someone provide some links to those people who are producing such a unit?  I'm not an engineer, so it is outside my purview to take a bunch of separate components and try to jury-rig a solution by myself.  But, I might be interested if someone has already assembled a proven, workable kit.  If anyone knows of such a source, please let us know.

• 1 month later...

So, I just sent my own e-mail to Silvermine asking if they are still selling their power steering kit.  We'll see if I get a response from them.  It would be helpful to hear from someone who has installed this particular kit on a road car, and not a competition Z that has been heavily modified for that purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up my install. Equinox unit and Bruno's automatic control. I have about $200 in it. I do have friends in a die shop that wire burnt an adapter for me and gave me access to their machines.This is the 2nd best upgrade/mods I have done so far. The torque sensing differential is the #1 best investment.

I couldn't be more please with the steering unit. Works just like it should. The Z's have always been a heavy steering car and this takes care of it. It's not a track car or autocross but I would want this modification for sure if I was an Autocross guy. I have about 1.5 hrs driving so far and love the way it feels.

I made a 35meg .ppt of the mods I made if anyone would like to see it. The pictures are huge is why the large file.

15 hours ago, davek said:

Finished up my install. Equinox unit and Bruno's automatic control. I have about $200 in it. I do have friends in a die shop that wire burnt an adapter for me and gave me access to their machines.This is the 2nd best upgrade/mods I have done so far. The torque sensing differential is the #1 best investment.

I couldn't be more please with the steering unit. Works just like it should. The Z's have always been a heavy steering car and this takes care of it. It's not a track car or autocross but I would want this modification for sure if I was an Autocross guy. I have about 1.5 hrs driving so far and love the way it feels.

I made a 35meg .ppt of the mods I made if anyone would like to see it. The pictures are huge is why the large file.

davek, congrats!  Yes I would like to see the pics, I 'm very happy with my Equinox/Bruno's system I built, I have pushed my system hard and it works perfectly in all situations.  In fact I had the car out at the track last year and had done a half dozen laps and remembered I had power assist now, turned up the dial a bit and started shaving seconds on my lap times.

Whee

I would say it can be duplicated easy enough. You do have to want it. Once you cut up your steering column your committed:)

Grannyknot, I can see cutting lap times. Just my spirited driving in the country I can feel myself pushing the turns harder. The fatigue from a longer race would be greatly reduced I would think.

both- send me a message with email and I'll send the .ppt via a one of those free large file transfer sites. its 35 meg

Here's a tidbit I couldn't fine on a forum. ------I ran 10ga wire with 30a inline fuse straight from a busbar very near my battery to the pigtail that came with the unit.. The wire never even started to warm up. I was concerned for nothing. Factory has maybe 8ga with 80 amp fuse.