HybridZ

another spot to put in trans fluid?

ericp501

Having a really hard time getting the fill bolt out.  I keep spraying it with PB and letting it sit, then I'm hitting it with a prybar and tapping a wrench with a heavy hammer.   This combo usually gets anything out for me, but I'm having no luck.  I'll keep at it, but I'm wondering if I can slowly fill the trans by adding fluid at the shifter?

Probably need to throw some heat at it as well.

I don't think that works with the datsun 5 speed, if I recall there is a seal that will prevent that. I think if you are desperate you can access the innards via the reverse light switch, but it really is best to just get the fill plug out and replace it with something like the drain plug.

There is a seal (usually rotted away) that prevents you from filling up through the shifter. You could fill it through the rear tail if you really jack up the rear end and remove the driveshaft. But I think getting the plug out would be your best bet. 

Use a giant lever arm. 

Instead of heat with a Torch, a safer alternative is one of the new Freeze Penetrating sprays. CRC makes a good one. They cool the part to approx -30F, shrinking it and allowing penetrating fluid to Wick in. Works great on Diff housing plugs and Trans housing plugs. Worked fantastic on my Audi with a badly seized diff fill plug. Be sure to apply a small amount of Never-seize to the plug when you re-install it. 

I've used a jack and positioned the wrench in the cup and got the plug to move. Doesn't always work as one plug was so stuck the jack just started to lift the cat higher instead of moving the plug. CR Freeze was then applied, followed by PB Blaster and then the wrench jack combo.