HybridZ

No way procharged v8Z

I saw a nice 71 240 for sale the other day and started wondering what if...this time with a v8? I've taken every measurement I can and see no way possible short of pushing the v8 through the firewall to fit a centrif. style supercharger. The compresor housing would sit right in the middle of the strut tower. Mounting low on the block seems to tight too. I would guess the only alternatives would be roots type or turbo. Anyone heard of a procharged Z8? Maybe I'm overlooking some placement option.

JS

Guest Anonymous

John,

As I have discovered while working on my car...when there isn't a reasonable way to do something...get unreasonable!!!! The alternator can be moved to the upwards location if it isn't already there. Then you can mount the procharger on the bottom left hand corner of the engine (when facing it). You would need to modify the passenger frame rail seriously to keep the strength while fitting the damn thing in there...but it could be done!! This was floating around the the plan book for awhile before the 383 stroker and...oh yeah...the full tube frame...came into existance. It would be an AWESOME setup!!!! (Just think...that 400 block, 327 crank setup suggested earlier...super fast spinup...low piston speed near TDC meaning more boost!!!!!!)

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

have you guys seen the article in the latest

chevy high performace mag? I has a great article about turbos/superchargers/nitrous.

It was very informative for me.. check it out! Hey, can you turn the thing around(so it faces the engine)

and route the belt so it still turns it the correct way?

Of course, what was I thinking! Spence, you could/would probably figure out a way to fit a quad turbo v16 with a tunnel ram, and still close the hood! A low mount would still need room for 3.5" inlet and 3" discharge tube/lines. Here are some measurements to play with. Overall height: 9" Overall depth: 8"(including pulley) overall width 10.250 (compressor discharge clocked to side) (you can rotate discharge up down, any way!) Dry weight is 14 lbs. Go look at my engine picture in members rides. I refabricateded my aluminum mounting bracket to fit it as close to the engine as possible. In fact I dimpled the corner of my valve cover to make clearence. You can't get it any closer to the engine from a top mount. The compressor housing is almost in line with the midpoint of the strut tower.

A V 10!! would put the compressor right where it belongs! Does the ford come with a four valve aluminum block?

One other alternative is a hood scoop! Center mounted compressor, w/ elect. water pump. Maybe one like Myrons would allow some play?? smile.gif

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 09, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

I was just thinking about turning these units around backwards to mkae them fit and I realized that it really wouldn't work. Centrifugal superchargers (and turbos for that matter) only blow air if run in one direction. If they are run backwards the air exit will be turned the wrong way in relation to the blade rotation. John...it can be done dude...don't give up the idea just because the answer isn't perfectly laid out for you.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

Hey guys, you an still mount the unit infront of and facing you engine. you would have to re-plumb your intake and output of

the unit to your carb or f/i... If you take the pully and re-rout the belt you can change the direction that the supercharger turns... this would obviously have to be done with a serpentine belt conviguration..

The only way this would work is to run a 8 or 12 rib drive that runs off of an idler pulley that runs on the OUTER surface of the belt. This will change the direction of rotation. This way the compressor could be turned 180 degrees and face the engine. The BIG problem with this is belt traction. You can't believe how tight this sucker is. I use a two foot snap on pry bar to cinch it up. The turning of the impeller, though very effecient compared to other systems, isn't a freebie. It takes some serious traction to crank up high boosts.The smooth side of the belt would slip badly. A 1:1 transmission that reversed rotation would be possible, but I'm thinking more that a central high mount might be possible. It would still require some creative belt placement to avoid the water pump.You can't reverse the rotation of the compressor. The impeller "throws" the air to the outside of the housing "centrifugal". I'm sure there's a way. 550 hp with around 12 psi boost is too easy to ignore. (350 ci. 9:1 292 cam, stock heads 1.94 valves, 650 Holley, pump gas, no intercooler: data from ATI)

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 09, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Paxton, Vortech, and ATI all make reverse-rotation head units. These are used on the newest Ford mod-motor applications.

No offense, please, but why ATI? Do you already have it?

The other possibility would be a turbo.

------------------

Michael Sen-Roy

Houston Performance

281-893-6080

------------------

[This message has been edited by HP Tech (edited May 09, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

From all the research I have done on centrifugal supercharger units, ATI stands out far above the rest of the pack. Their quailty and prices are second to none and they make so many more options for their units. The tech service in uncomparable to most any other cent. supercharger maker (ie...they don't look down their 3 ft. long noses at you) and the few times I have talked to them they were genuinely interested in my projects and ideas.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Ditto on Spence's comment. Paxton was so far behind the times with their ball drive superchargers.(Designed for wimpy sub 300 ci engines that would only see really low psi, silly, bulky carb enclosures, too. Vortech didn't have a clue how to blow through a carb. and didn't have any kits for the chevy. (Vortech was started by a paxton runaway. I talked to him about the possibilities, he seemed pretty set on dealing with whatever was going to make his company the most $$. Wasn't interested in my project. ATI was the first to engineer a really good gear drive transmission, 20+ psi, + the first to offer the intercooler kits. The others after badmouthing ATI for their intercoolers are now all offering a "similar" kit. ATI has challenged all the competitors to a independent dyno test, AND the track. Vortec chickened out! Never saw a NOVI Paxton until Procharger came out and showed 'em how to do it! They're also reasonably priced, give great results, and aren't afraid to try different applications. I wouldn't give you a nickel for an over priced/rated paxton. BTW I wasted a S trim Vortec Cobra so bad he didn't know what blew by him! Four valves and all! There,...I feel better. Thanks, Michael for the info on the reverse rotation compressors. This would look really wierd on an engine, but would open more mounting possibilities.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 10, 2000).]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fast Frog

Hey Dudes:

I'm brand new to this forum. So I don't want step on any toes!!

I've done 383 V8 conversion 4 years ago and 6 mos. later installed a Paxton SN 93. HOWEVER, I had to fabricate the SC bracket, have a good machinist build a .875" thick shim/washer to bring the crank pulley away from the block by that much distance, and beat in the driver's side strut tower about 1 1/2" so the SC canister would "hang" properly. Also, with washers and spacers, the SC bracket had to mounted that 7/8" to line up with the crank pulley. It works-it can be done!!! But the Paxton sucks and its design is archaic. Since I don't drive the car that much and the fact that I've got 9.5+ CR and the damn planetary ball gearing of the Paxton-I go thru batteries like one a year because of the cranking amp draw needed to start this beast. I'm now up to a 1025 cranking amp battery.

I've talked to ATI techs regarding the Procharger Dimensions and bracketry- It is slightly smaller (last fall's edition of Turbo and Hi Tech mag-Top End Performance dropped a 350 ci with a Procharger in Eric Bernstein's 240Z with minimal fabrication and beating up the engine compartment!!)and no initial drag on the engine or battery. And it will rev well past 6000rpm at whatever boost you and the tech decide by matching and mating the crank pulley to the SC pulley. I'm not supposed to rev my Paxton beyond 5200rpm for fear of blowing it up!!

My next project for my Z (family has 6Z's)is to install a Procharger @ 8lbs of boost and dump the Paxton.

Anybody want to buy a Paxton for their V8 conversion? They do work even tho they're not efficient.

• 4 years later...

Did everyone forget Brodys car at the last Hybrid shootout?I have plenty of pics if you need to see 'em.Matter of fact,I think he still has the supercharger setup for sale as we speak,going to a single turbo now...It can obviously be done,however he did put a little hump in the hood.I posted a pic in the hybrid z section in the albums.Can never seem to get a pic in a post

Did everyone forget Brodys car at the last Hybrid shootout?I have plenty of pics if you need to see 'em.Matter of fact,I think he still has the supercharger setup for sale as we speak,going to a single turbo now...It can obviously be done,however he did put a little hump in the hood.I posted a pic in the hybrid z section in the albums.Can never seem to get a pic in a post

showphoto.php?photo=827&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Any idea what brand of supercharger he used?

Although I have no plans for EFI, the mounting location is great and I have no issues modifing the hood to fit. Its the strut towers I don't want to mess with.

Ahh, for those that are running the ls1, magnacharger is the answer it mounts to the top of the motor and is driven from the rear via a bearing supported jackshaft. should fit under the hood quite nicely but they are pricey about 5 grand but it does have the intercooler built into it, there tech dept says they have one for the lt1 also but its for a marine application they also said its being adapted for the lt1 f body cars but when I talked to them they did not have a release date.

"If this thing had wings it would fly"

OK guys,I talked to Brody today and heres the scoop.The ATI procharger he has is for sale.He wants to sell the whole setup preferably but will part it out if necessary.1900 bucks will get you the polished procharger,mounting bracket,all plumbing,blowoff valve,spearco intercooler and all the related pulleys.He has it all boxed up and ready to go.If anyone wants it just reply to this post and I'll get you hooked up.Let the games begin...........