HybridZ

Turn Signal Issues

Hello all!

I have a question for you. 

I have been doing a carb conversion so electrical has taken a backseat. 

I have have been working on rewiring and installing some led headlights and finally got to get the turn signals. I have done some hunting through the forums and thought I would ask just to get some expert advice on my particular situation.

My turn signals do not work in either position, no lights on the dash or from the markers. Hazard switch worked before. Still turns on and runs the left blinker only. I am making the assumption that I have a connection issue at the switch since neither  position works. Will a issue at the switch explain why the hazard will run the dash and signal lights for the left only or would there be a second issue? What is the best plan of attack?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Assuming that you have an S30 (i.e. 240, 260, 280z)? 

Sounds like there might be a couple of issues going on.  For starters, anytime someone has issues with the lights, first thing to check is make sure you have good grounds.  There are a couple of electrical grounds for the taillights, so make sure you check them all....remove the screws, clean the metal connector, inspect for good connection with the wire, and clean the metal that it's connected to.  A little sandpaper and cleaning solvent is all you need.  Next, remove your turn signal switch/combination switch and clean it as necessary.  Usually best to disassemble it to give it a proper cleaning.  While you're at it, check that the electrical plugs connecting to the switches all have good strong, clean connections.  Most of these are inside, or adjacent to, the steering column clamshell cover.  Finally, check that you have good flashers for the signals....they are mounted under the dash, near your left knee. 

If you don't already have the FSM for your year and model, download it here:  http://www.xenonzcar.com/s30/reference.html.

1. What year is your Z?

2. Did you check the fuse panel?

3. Typically, the problem you have is caused by the turn signal and/or the light switch.  Many "how to" posts on switch repair here and on the internet.

4. Information:

http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/datsun-240z-multifunction-switches/

https://www.datsun-240z-upgrades.net/services/

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/turn-signal-repair/

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/34330-72-240z-turn-signal-stoped-workining/

Rebuild_240Z_combo_switch.pdf

Turn signal & Hazard flashers.jpg

Edited by Miles
  • Like 1

Sorry, I have a 76 280z. 

Fuses are okay okay and the flasher units are in good order.

I think I may just be chasing gremlins. I pulled off the clamshell to check out switch. Turns out I have two signal switches. One mounted and one dangling under the column. I checked the mounted one and the contacts were clean and the switch operated smoothly but no signal. Checked the hazard switch, still running left side only. Switched to the hanging switch. Both left and right didn’t work. Checked the hazard; ran left side only. Turned the hazards off (ready to dive into other areas) and the blinker worked. Runs in both directions. Checked the mounted switch to see if it was a fluke and that switch runs both sides now too.... I have a bulb out on the right side I have to find but otherwise the blinkers work great. 

I still cant think of what would cause the left to run and the right not to given the contacts are good throughout. I checked the wires from the hazard to the flasher and they are fine. They also appear to be fine to the lights. Do I have a bad hazard switch?

thoughts?

The answer to your question is "Yes, the hazard switch could definitely be part of the problem."  It is, unfortunately, an integral part of the turn signal circuit.  Fortunately, it can be disassembled and cleaned/checked for functionality. 

It it sounds as though you found a second turn signal switch, and it functions correctly?  So you should be good to go wrt that issue, correct?  And now you're just trying to sort out the hazards?

JHM, you are correct. The turn signals both operate flawlessly but the hazards do not. 

Throughout this his process I have discovered a separate issue with my headlights. 

I am am replacing the original lights with a set of LED headlights. Each beam for each light operates on its own relay, wired in from the original headlight plugs. They are wired direct to a 12V source with the signals coming off the original harness. My issue is this, the high beams turn on when the light switch is activated and will turn off with the high low switch but low beams do not operate and highs do not turn back on when the light switch is active. I’m definitely at a loss for this one. 

Thank you you for all your help.

I may have sorted that issue too, let me know if I figured this right. I wired the headlights up based on normal relay wiring. 12V to the 30 terminal, ground off the 85, trigger on 86 and output to the 87.

i believe that I need to have it wired with 12V to the 30 and 86, the trigger to 85 (headlight switch) and out to 87. Does that make sense? Did I get that right or am I way off?

Glad you got the turn signals working ok.

If I recall correctly, factory  wiring for the headlights is as follows:  12V is supplied to both beams at all times, and the hi/low switch determines which circuit is grounded.  i.e. If High beam is selected, both the high and low beams are grounded, and therefore powered.  If the Low beam is selected, only the Low beam circuit is grounded.

Once you start modifying the circuits with relays, etc; those mods need to be consistent with the original design in order for everything to work as designed. 

It sounds like a previous owner had integrated relays for each beam on each side of your car?  And therefore, four relays total to operate the headlights?  If you've got a multimeter, use that to test your theory on how the relays should be connected....it's less drain on the system and a safer way to troubleshoot.

Electrical gremlins can be such a pain, but it sounds like you're working through it ok...."eating the elephant one bite at a time".  :-) 

Miles,

I did see those but I am trying to take a stab at it myself.

I finally got this one sorted out too. The mistake I was making was not using the signal wire from the combo switch as the trigger to energize the relay.  I have attached a diagram showing how I wired it up, using the OEM plug from the headlight to wire into for the 280z. The only piece you need to add is a ground wire from the headlight to the chassis.IMG_3231.thumb.JPG.08814de8e6e5662d20877d7f8de1e549.JPG

It took me a minute to figure it out but this keeps the headlight functionality. I added a redundant set of relays that keep the headlights from being turned on unless the key is in the ACC or RUN positions too since I have a habit of leaving mine on.

The headlights I purchased also have a set of halos and integrated turn signals. Those can be run off the +12V line powering the relays (in my case) and a splice into the positive (Green-White) turn signal wire. I will be keeping the stock markers for added visibility until I change up the front end.

I hope this diagram will help someone who is not so electrically savvy in the future to wire up LED headlights. I purchased a set of headlights designed for a Jeep.

If I made a mistake somewhere along the line please let me know so I can fix it on my rig too.

Thanks everyone!

Since you seem to be having so much fun with your front lights, here's a really slick little product that allows your front side marker lights to double as turn signal lights....the "DRL-1" module from Daniel Stern Lighting.  There are multiple ways to achieve this, but this was the easiest method I could find if you want to run LED bulbs in all your running lights.  

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html