HybridZ

Has anyone tried to install 180 degree headers?

Hey guys, looking at options for my build. Has anyone tried to install/make 180 degree headers on their v8 swap? I'm doing calculations on how I could move stuff around in my bay to make space at the moment. They sound amazing, any insight would be appreciated!

hqdefault.jpg

dc46c932d6e1d21872631824dd373366-2.jpg

Edited by M_Dragan
add picture

20 hours ago, jhm said:

Are you asking WRT NA (i.e. non-turbo) applications? 

Also, are you on any of the FB forums?  There's a good one for V8 Z's, with guys doing insane swaps and custom fab...."V8 S30 Owners Group".

Yeah I’m in that group, I just thought this would be a better forum to ask this question in

There used to be a Z that autoxed with us in central Oregon (Eugene/Bend) that used a circle track system pointing forwards.  He had to cut a clearance hole in the strut towers for the primaries to work.  He was using a 400 small block versus an LS.  We also used to have a Ford GT40 replica that ran a set so I know what you mean about cool sounds.  You definitely will want to have good hood ventilation to get both header and radiator heat out of the engine compartment.

The video headers are going to have some problems when it comes to removing or putting them on.  There needs to be a sip fit or flange (like your second image) between sides or getting them on and off will involve a lot of effort.  If you have studs (a good idea) I'd bet they may not work at all. 

If you have access to a 3D printer head to Thingiverse as they have header modelling blocks and LS headpipe (https://www.thingiverse.com/XeonDesigns/designshttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2800881).

Hope that helps,

Cary

On 12/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, tube80z said:

There used to be a Z that autoxed with us in central Oregon (Eugene/Bend) that used a circle track system pointing forwards.  He had to cut a clearance hole in the strut towers for the primaries to work.  He was using a 400 small block versus an LS.  We also used to have a Ford GT40 replica that ran a set so I know what you mean about cool sounds.  You definitely will want to have good hood ventilation to get both header and radiator heat out of the engine compartment.

The video headers are going to have some problems when it comes to removing or putting them on.  There needs to be a sip fit or flange (like your second image) between sides or getting them on and off will involve a lot of effort.  If you have studs (a good idea) I'd bet they may not work at all. 

If you have access to a 3D printer head to Thingiverse as they have header modelling blocks and LS headpipe (https://www.thingiverse.com/XeonDesigns/designshttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2800881).

Hope that helps,

Cary

Thanks for the tips! I’m definitely going to put the flange in between. I don’t see how it would ever come off otherwise lol. I’m going to do a ton of research, in your experience, how much do custom headers usually cost?

That was my initial plan (180* headers) but incorporating tri-y's and reverse megaphone collectors. I have the top part of the tri-y's done and the collectors (1-5/8" to 1-3/4" to 2.5" collector entry iirc - I haven't messed with them since the summer). I have room between the pan the subframe but I'm still on the fence about actually doing the cross over. It's at least 3' of additional piping. I kept the piping relatively small to help keep the velocity up but now I think with the megaphones and a good x pipe I can maximize the curve/ move it to the right (cam should make steam to 7,500). In hindsight, if I knew I was ditching the crossover I would have gone 1-3/4" -> 1-7/8" step. 

It's an 11.0:1 Gen 3 LS (383 stroker) with ITB's. 

IMG_20171130_122429604.jpg

IMG_20171130_184131355.jpg

IMG_20171210_155330095.jpg

IMG_20180521_214508008.jpg

IMG_20171130_122442436.jpg

Edited by SH4DY