HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Fridge Gnome

280Z GenV L83 Swap

Hey there, there's no genV forum, so I assume this is the right spot.

I'm getting started on swapping an L83 out of a 2017 Silverado into my '77 280z. Progress will be slow as I'm working on a masters away from the car right now, but I figured I'd post what I've gotten so far. Info seems pretty scarce on these engines as well, so maybe someone will find it helpful.

I'll be keeping the engine stock and mating it with a T56.

Here is what I'm starting with:

spacer.png

Here is the engine and transmission, T56 is out of an 06 GTO. The L83 is a bit weird and the crankshaft is not meant to accept a manual transmission so requires a 3/8" spacer on the bellhousing (not shown, but where the gap between tranny and bellhouwing is. Apparently leaving that out will result in a broken block 😕

spacer.png

I got the engine in today, I'm using the Dirty Dingo motor mounts and I'll be making my own transmission mount.

So first difference between this engine and an LS. It has connections on the back of the engine for the high pressure fuel pump. This means it can't get as close to the firewall as an LS.

spacer.png

Theres plenty of room in the front, so engine position is no big deal, however I assume LS engines do need to be near the firewall to allow the transmission to fit around the original transmission mounts. Since I couldn't get this engine too close. I had to cut them off. I'll likely still try to use them as a mounting point for the transmission, but the original flanges wouldn't work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once those flanges were cut, the engine went bolted in without any interference. I haven't made a transmission mount yet, so time will tell if it will be a problem, I don't think it will be though.

That being said, the Dirty Dingo mounts are rather high with this setup. I'm using their adapter plates to use LS mounts with an GenV engine. I'm also using the Holley oil pan, so it has quite a bit of clearance.

spacer.png

Clearance is good, but the engine sits a bit high. I'm using a camaro intake and the throttle body sticks up too high. I'm not sure if anything else will also be too high.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Headers will be interesting, but I'm probably not doing longtubes. The OEM manifolds won't work, but they aren't too far off, so I think I will be able to find something that works.

Anyway, just wanted to get a thread started to at least help me keep some record of the project. Hopefully will finish up a few more things while I'm on break.

Not using the same engine but we are using the same trans (04 GTO LS and T56)  The shifter will likely need to be changed.  Can't remember how far the GTO shifter is behind the Camaro one I used but it was a lot.  This may help with the more forward engine but it will be something to consider.  lowering the engine seems mandatory although the Datsun hood has a lot of clearance in the middle, solid 4 inches above the fender line.  Looks high in the pic.   Keep us posted, cool project, hope problem solving is fun.  I found a lot of good info here even not following the 'recipe'.  HTH, Richard. 

Good to know Richard, it looks like the shifter is a little forward of where it was with the old transmission, it would work where its at with the camaro shifter I believe. I'm hoping with the GTO shifter it will be just a little further back as I'd like it a little closer to me than the original position.

Forgot to snag pictures of the modified mounts, but I was able to drill new holes in the engine mounts to lower the engine about an inch.

From the fender line I'm about 2.25" over, so maybe that will be enough. If not, I should be able to make a spacer to move the throttle body away from the water pump which will allow me to flip it upside down.

spacer.png

The reason of shoving the engine as far back (nearly against the firewall) is to improve fore-aft weight distribution.  This mattered more, in the now ancient-days of cast iron V8s.  But there is still a certain feeling of achievement and engineering-aesthetics, to get that setback to be as large as possible, even if it isn't strictly necessary.  Towards that end, have you considered cutting/notching the firewall, to accommodate the fuel-pump connections?

Looks like the GTO shifter is about 3.5 inches back from the camaro shifter plus the 3/8 spacer.  If the engine is in that neighborhood further forward it will be close.  The 2.5 looks good too.  I wouldn't slam the hood yet but a good start.  HTH, Richard. 

Here is the picture of the modified engine mounts, you can also see another reason I couldn't move the engine back. The vacuum pump flange on the LT block interferes with the mounts so the mount has very little adjustment to move the engine back on the driver side. I would assume it would be possible to modify the mount to fix this, or maybe even trim off the vacuum pump flange.

spacer.png

I made up a transmission mount and got it installed today as well. Its bolted to tabs welded to the frame rails.

spacer.png

Here is where the shifter sits with the GTO shifter. No interference in any gear, so I'm happy with where it's at.

spacer.png

Small update, wiring harness is in. I modified the original harness based on the attached document. Grey lines are the connections I used. Not sure if it's right, but I'll try to remember to edit it if it's wrong.

I actually made the harness at school, while the harness was in the original state I marked the location of connectors on a cardboard box and used that as a template to modify the harness to place the ecu inside the cabin and use a new fusebox.

spacer.png

2018 Gen V l83 Pins.docx