HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

07-01-2023 UPDATE:  I decided to do a little engine work first, by swapping out my old distributor for a new, in box one I bought from a guy online.  I also connected up the radiator hose and poured the coolant back in. I went to start, and everything spins over great, but no fuel to the fuel filter.....so the electric fuel pump I bought will be going on.  I will do a quick wireup and bypass to see if that fixes it.  So, at that point, I closed the hood and went back to sanding.  After sanding the hood and hatch, I turned my attention to the roof sides at the rain gutters.  I was able to get the left (driver's) side done, and the right side is about 75% there.  I tried the wire wheel attachment on the side stickers, and it 50% removes them, 50% smears them.  But after that and then using the orbital sander and 80 grit sandpaper, it takes them all off and down to smooth metal.  So, forward progress on getting her ready to go to the painter's.  PICS:

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

07-02-2023 UPDATE:  I spent a few hours in the garage......I went ahead and mounted up the K&N Electric Fuel Pump and Filter I had, and I rigged it up and tested it, pushes plenty of fuel.  Engine still won't start....I fiddled with it a bit, figured out it was electic, and decided to give it some thought, and pressed forward on body prep.  I removed the flares, the front bumper, front blinkers, and then cut strips of metal out and then bonded them to the inside of the fenders where the side parking lamps holes were.  I also covered the antenna hole.  Once dried, I will use all metal filler and then Glaze with hardener to block sand them smooth.  PICS:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by A to Z

07-08-2023 UPDATE:  Sanding continues.  I have it about 80-90% done now.  I decided to try the Caramel Wheel I got, it actually takes the side stripes off better than wire wheel!  I have been going panel by panel with my orbital sander, first I use 80 grit on it to get it all roughed up, then 320 to smooth it out.  I work on that panel until ready to go, then move to the next.  Using A LOT of 320 grit sanding discs!  I am glad I bought a bunch of them online.  VERY dusty, but not real hard.  Some panels took awhile, as I kept at them until they were done, then moved on as I said.  Here are a few pics. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

07-09-2023 UPDATE.  Car is sanded!  I got the car all sanded and ready.  Needs a bath and taping, and goes to the painter ASAP.  I still have to sand and do some trimming on my flares, but progress.  My plan is to have the flares painted gloss black, or a charcoal grey metallic.  Such a dusty thankless job.  Pics. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Did they paint it in the prep bay with all of the trim on it? Just constructive feedback but I'm surprised you paid to paint it like that after you spent so many hours painting it in your garage.  It's only a few hours to pull the trim and glass, certainly less than a day. 

I made the decision to leave some things on.  It won't be a problem.    So, "the blame" falls on me.  I acted like it was my car and my decision.  The painting I had done previously, was flaking off and didnt work out very well.

Edited by A to Z

07-15-2023 UPDATE: Knowing the Z was being delivered back from the painter today, I went out to the garage to keep prepping the garage and some of the items so that I could immediaelty start putting the stuff back on. I glued some rubber washers on to the ends of the bumpers where they meet the body when tightened down, and 2 rubber washers under the rear spoiler. I then added a 240Z sticker to the back. polished out my tailight lenses and then my Z car showed up. :D Once it was in the garage I started putting the exterior items back on and God willing will do more tomorrow. 5 day turnaround at the painters is great! Pics follow. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by A to Z
trump 2024

12 hours ago, A to Z said:

07-15-2023 UPDATE: Knowing the Z was being delivered back from the painter today, I went out to the garage to keep prepping the garage and some of the items so that I could immediaelty start putting the stuff back on. I glued some rubber washers on to the ends of the bumpers where they meet the body when tightened down, and 2 rubber washers under the rear spoiler. I then added a 240Z sticker to the back. polished out my tailight lenses and then my Z car showed up. :D Once it was in the garage I started putting the exterior items back on and God willing will do more tomorrow. 5 day turnaround at the painters is great! Pics follow. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Nice Joe..... Keep up the photos on your fun project...

On 7/14/2023 at 1:57 PM, A to Z said:

more:

11.png

12.png

13.png