HybridZ

Jeffp's 3" custom turbo exhaust on a 240

Guest Cusp

This is a link to Jeff P.'s custom 3" exhaust system designed for the 280zx turbo.

JeffP.'s custom exhaust

Has anyone tried to adapt one of these setups to a turbo 240z? I've been looking at the exhaust systems they sell in V.B. to see the length/shape differences from the 240z to 280zx exhaust designs. It's pretty close, but it looks as if the exhaust for the 280zx has to bend under the axles, whereas the 240z's does not. I'd be interested to hear if this has been tried, or if it's cheap enough fro me to just try it.

Maybe Jeff knows if it will fit.

Guest Anonymous

That's awesome, Jeff! And here I was thinking I'd have to be the first to have a custom 3" made for the ZXT. My "exhaust guy" was just as amazed as I, that's a really nice system. Have you made a SS prototype? I'm very interested in buying your system. I will be running a full T4 turbine (p-trim), and I like the expansiveness of the DP design. Exhaust will be the last step of my swap, please keep us informed on progress design.

-980mak rockon.gif

For my 280Z, the three inch exhaust is MUCH simpler than a 280ZX. From my down pipe it is a straight length of pipe with 2 90* mandrel bent pieces at the end. I have not actually built this yet, but I am running the exact thing in 2-1/2" right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yea that turbo diesel has caught a few people's eye. I thought it was cool, so I put it on. It is true the engine is stroked with a LD28 crank and that is why I put it there.

Tell you guys what, if someone was willing to let me have their car for a while(has to be a turbo application) I would be willing to make a custom mandrel 3" system for the 240 cars.

The problem with all of it is that my bender has to make a minimum run of 15 sets to make them after I have designed the proto system. Maybe there are enough turbo 240's out there to make it worth all the time and effort. I csn terll you one thing tho, the system flows excellent snd it sounds excellent also. :D

i have a 3" mandrel bent system under my 77.it only takes 2 90's .i put the muffler under the cat heat shield .any good muffler shop can do it .it bolts to stock zxt head pipe flange.when its smog test time i bolt on system with a cat converter.i used a 3" magnaflow muffler -it has no baffles.its quiet and sounds good.

• 7 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I am looking for a custom 3in system for a 77 280zt usng mandrel bent piping since my car is dropped about 2in the system that the local muffler shop did hits every bump it passes over

• 2 weeks later...

I just wish there were more folks wanting the 3" system for the 280zx, I've been working my butt off saving money to get in on the run of 3" exhaust that JeffP was offering. but since there were not enough folks that wanted the "whole" system I guess just the downpipe part is being offered. :(

• 2 months later...