HybridZ

Elusive Euro sound

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,

I have a nearly stock 74 260Z that I want to put an exhaust system on that gives me that Euro sports car sound, not too loud, just sporty; Jag, Alfa, Lotus, M3, Ferrari, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions of a combo of resonater(s), pipe diam, muffler to get that "elusive" sound?

I have the idea of maybe a Hooker Aerochamber as the resonater, 2.25" pipe, terminating into a resonated MSA Targa tip, the dual verticle tips. The Euro look, but don't know about the sound..

Or maybe a pair of bullet glasspacks "in series", terminated into the Targa tip??

Anyone Been There, Done that and acheived that XKE sound? Thanks tons in advance!

Steve in Pittsburgh

Guest Anonymous

Before I posted here, I poked around the net, Googling on mufflers, exhaust, Ansa, Abarth. I landed in Miata, Audi, VW, and BMW forums, in Fiat, Ferrari, TR, BMW, Mazda, Holden, and Jaguar sites. Whew.

Basically, what I found out:

Mixed reviews on the Ansa - in general, pricey and not very durable, Ferrari's have anywhere from 1 to 3 resonaters before the muff, Abarth's must be extinct, Daytona's were no where to be found either, BMW folks have long arms and deep pockets for just mufflers alone, XKEs seem to have dual "cherry bombs" at the exhaust tips, etc.

Seems like the obviously Euro muffs are either way too expensive, not up to quality, or hard/impossible to obtain.

Didn't read anything good about Monza'a either, and I had a Monza on a 79 Accord. Sounded really good, but was going out fast at just under 3 years. And it was a disapointment looking into the rusting yellow tips.

That's why I turned to you all to bounce my ideas around.

I'm going to call MSA to see who did their Targa tips - hopefully not Pacesetter. I'm thinking if Jaguar did a resonater after a muff, then maybe my idea of a Hooker/Flow/Dynamax free-flow muff in the usual resonater position may work, or, a pair of bullet resonaters installed bass-ackwards a few feet back from the exhaust manifold. I read somewhere the resonater position should be 48" from the ports. How do these ideas sound?

Depends on how loud you want it.

I ran no muffler and just a dual resonated tip on my 280ZX and sounded fine, with the cat still intact. No header. Was not that loud....really.

Now I have a single tip on my 280Z (no cat, no muffler, header), its pretty loud.

(edit) It has a muffler on it at the moment (I couldn't use the cell phone :D ) I have a flowthough cherry bomb type on it...Its pretty good, still has that "sound". I just want it louder again....so its coming off soon. :D

I haven't used anything but their tips, but I wouldn't run anything different. I just love the sound. This was running 2.25" pipe.

I have a 2 1/2" aluminized exhaust with a center in offset out 2 1/2" Dynomax Super Turbo. It is nice and quiet at idle but sounds killer when you get up in the revs. You'll never really be able to get the Ferrari sound as the flat crank 8 just sounds the way it does to some degree, regardless of the muffler. Same with the other cars. Displacment, firing order, and induction gives different engines different sounds.

I just got my exhuast redone.. i had the MSA 2 1/2" "turbo" exhaust... gave a nice resonating sound from about 2,300 to 2,600 rpm set off alarmas at that range.. but once your out of that.. you can't really hear it... I just put on new galvanized pipe w/ a Magnaflow "street series" muffler.. sounds really good on the car to me.. cruising revs pretty nice.. put your foot down.. and it sounds like a drag car

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My experience with the Monza exhaust from Victoria British is that I was happy with the quality but it was way too restrictive. The system for 240Z would have made a great "Twice Pipes" if you tied two together to make one decent exhaust system. You'll be wanting a higher flow system than the Monza if you're going to make some power.

I understand what you're talking about re the "Euro" sound. I lived in Southern Italy for a couple of years and I loved to drive my Alfa Romeo GTV with dual Weber DCOEs, if nothing else, just to hear it rev.

I was researching some info on BOVs recently and came across a soundmaking device that would produce a BOV-type "whooosh" between shifts for an na car that wishes it were a turbo...now that's desperate!

I'd love to package that Euro sound, or figure out how it's done, it looks like they use a lot of little resonators rather than single, huge low-restiction mufflers. DAW

• 1 year later...
Guest midnitz

Resonators are the answer....

I have a 6 into 1 header, 2.5inch pipe into a 14 inch glasspack resonator,

that traves back into a 2 chamber flowmaster (LOUD)

it rumbles at idle....but above 2000 rpms it sings like a Ferarri....

only thing is at 1200-1600 the resonance from the flowmaster kicks in and rattles your brain....so I am reducing the pipe diameter right before the muffler...and getting the same 2 chamber flowmaster for a 2.25 inch pipe...and having a single stainless resonated exh tip put on.

this should really make it whine like an exotic European car.

• 4 months later...
Here is what it sounds like with a 6-3-2-1 header with ONLY a resonator with no muffler ..)

Mine sounds like that, but better, IMO. It idles a better and has a nice sound at speed.

I have a coffee-can from Meineke, and had the resonator removed for less weight & simplicity (mistake?) but hey didn't have any with dual tips, so I got the 'megaphone.'

About the Euro-sound -- I was thinking that if you had 2 exhaust pipes, with one having 150% the length of the other, you should get a sound that sounds like double the RPM, because you got two puffs out the ends at different times...

WHERE CAN YOU GET ANSA TIPS?

thx.

My dad had an austin healey with a mk 4 jag engine, 3.5 i6. He went through a few exhaust systems over the years I think he used a few different domestic brands but it always had that "euro" sound, its was GREAT but it does depend so much on the engine. Your best bet is to hit a major car show and grab an actual muffler off a european car, my dad is into building classic british cars and thats how he gets all his stuff. Still I have never heard a bad sounding Z.

The old Jags had dual exhaust 123 to one pipe and 456 to the other. The E types had flow through mufflers in the front and glass packs in the rear from what I remember, I had a 140 and my brother and a 120 and E type back in the 60s. Part of the sound is splitting the flow, I do not think you can get the Jag sound through one exhaust pipe.