HybridZ

How Many of You are Engineers?

speeder

B.S., M.S. Mechanical Engineering (Structure/Composites emphasis)

I was silly enough to do a Master's Thesis option, instead of a non-thesis option. Spent too many years working on a thesis which was an analytical treatment of composite material cylinders in compression/pressure - NASA grant -for space station application.

Moved on to do structural R&D with the Navy at what was known as the David Taylor Model Basin in Bethesda MD. Did a bunch of classic and not-so-classic finite element analysis stuff (stress/strain, vibrations, modal analysis, other weird stuff). Fluid/structure interaction for underwater noise. Got into some other fields and that lead me into what I do now - "characterization" of ballistic missiles. Now at Johns Hopkins Univ Applied Physics Lab for 3+ years - glad I did it. Basically, I moved around into other work as the money in fields dried up in submarine work, etc.

Not much ME work anymore, but it's interesting working in Ballistic Missile Defense.

Yeah, I'm a geek. I know it. :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, some very interesting backgrounds here. Mine: BS Computer Science, Minor in Applied Mathematics (and BS Applied Physics dropout... two degrees at once is too much... ) from Emory University in Atlanta in 2000. I've been an Internet/eCommerce Developer/Consultant for an eCommerce development shop (Priceline.com, BestBuy.com, and Amazon.com were just a few of our major clients before the internet fallout of 2k1), a Software and Controls Engineer/DBA for a company that develops packaging and conveyor controls systems for distribution centers, and currently a Software/Applications Engineer for an up and coming international telecommunications company that continues to grow. it's interesting to have dealt with different aspects and uses for software... just to see how it's really all the same at it's core.

and, yes, i am a gearhead. if there had been a major in Gearhead Engineering, i would have a Ph.D.

Guest Carlissimo

B.S. In Mechanical engineering, M.S. in Aerospace Engineering. Have worked most of my career at Boeing doing design work on helicopters.

A highlight of my career was sucessfully convincing the company to allow me and my team to put an 800 HP turbine engine into a 400 HP helicopter. The pilots loved it so much we went into production with it. It is a real screamer.

Thought you guys would appreciate the fun we had on that project !

i was studying ME then started to think, damn its getting harder half way through,,,now im a CNC operator and programmer. fun stuff...lots of great people on board imagine if we all joined our brains we can really be something to be scared of...heheh

• 5 months later...

1 course away from my B. Eng in mechanical engineering with materials specialty. Have to wait a few more months before I take that last course. :roll:

I had the chance to design 2 formula race cars from a clean slate in between classes. What a blast. Also have worked in some interesting places, doing some interesting things. From turning wrenches on 120,000kg haul trucks in a coal mine in northern BC to operating a "still" that would produce 7L/min of moonshine if it wasn't busy with other liquids, to assembling the worlds largest titanium autoclave and constructing/designing all its sub-systems.

As a side note, I am also looking for employment at the moment. So if any of you engineers out there have a lead for me, shoot me an email. ;)drax77@shaw.ca

• 4 months later...
ME with a PE. Working in the constrction industry in the oil patch in AK. Working on piping and mechanical issues.

I'm senior ME student right now...When did u take ur PE exam? Do you recomend taking it or can I do without?