HybridZ

tricks for removing rusty screws?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm trying to get an intank pump out of my 85 200sx turbo, but the whimpy little phillips screws holding it in are so rusted tight that they would rather let their heads strip than budge. I've pretty much hosed one of them, and I've soaked them in wd40 for a while, but to no avail. I don't want to have to drop and drain the tank. Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

I'll try some Kroil if I can find some. There's really not enough room for vice grips unless I drop the tank. The heads are too small for filing and wrenching. Hopefully the kroil will work. Know of any major chains that sell this stuff?

Thanks for the tips.

- Rob

I dont know what an intake pump is, unless its an smog device (air pump?). If you can get a small propane torch on it, they whup ass. I soaked my brake lines for days on end with penetrating oil, to no avail, with vice grips I just rounded them off and broke lines, when I finally got the torch I did the rear brake lines in mere minutes.

I second the motion made by Jim for an impact screwdriver. I had to buy one for a motorcycle I was working on a while back. It is a great tool, and there are many screws I have come across that I would not have gotten out otherwise. I think I paid around $25 for my Craftsman unit.

DK

I've had good luck with a small amount of valve lapping compound on the tip of the screwdriver. it provides a good grip between the blade and screwhead. That and the penetrating oil ( I use PB Blaster) should do the trick. Keith

PS an air drill makes no sparks.

Guest Anonymous

Hey!....If you haven't blown yourself up from a previous suggestion then you will read this when I say that at this stage you will likely contaminate the tank to get the screw out without damaging the tank itself anyway.

I would: See if there is such a thing as an air or electric powered impact tool just made for this sort of thing. Bike inpacters are great sometimes but if the screw head goes then you get nada anyway, besides, you have to hammer on the manulal impacters, this may damage the tank itself if not careful. If the impact required to break the screw loose is greater than the strength of the tank then.....

Last chance: Drill it for an EZ-out (contaminates tank), then apply smaller size vice grip or perhaps the manual bike impacter (if it can be made to grip the EZ-out). Overall I guess this is a worst case situation because heat is dangerous to your health here.....LOL. Metal shaving residue? What dosen't hang in the bottom will be caught by the filter I suppose.

Guest Anonymous

OK, I just remembered there is such a thing as a 90 degree 36" flex cable that will chuck a drill for that. Just need a motor to drive it (after you manage to borrow one). I'd loan you mine except I don't have one.

• 3 weeks later...

something that works most of the time for me is firstly penetrating oil, then insert your screwdriver and give it a good whack with a hammer. i found it's usually just enough to break it free. no sparks...no explosion.