HybridZ

wheel size with ZG flares?

Guest jim@speednation

Guest jim@speednation

Sorry for the dumb question, but I didn't find a solid answer when using the search function.

What size wheels are people running with ZG flares? I'm planning on installing a full set of flares later this summer and I'm sure that both sets of wheels that I have now (15x7 and 16x7) will look be too small to fill out the flares.

Could anybody with ZG flares tell me their wheel size and offset? Pictures or links to them would be nice too.

Guest ShelbyZ

I'm running 16x8.5 neg 6 offset front, 225/45/16 tires. Rear 16x9 neg 13 offset, 245/45/16 tires. I'm running stock diameter lowering springs front and rear. The fronts have 2 1/2 coils cut off of them. I have plenty of room between the tire and spring, strut housing. Pics go to: http://www.wheelchoice.com

Or you can email me for pics. Also the flares I'm running I bought from MSA in Orange CA.

Keep ZZZZZZZing,

ShelbyZ

I have 17x9 -20 offset on the rear, Ground Control coilovers, and a 1" spacer to push the wheel out. The tire is still not flush with the lip of the flare. Here's a pic in my personal gallery.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_personal.php?user_id=7

Tire squat caused the fender to rip a gash in the tire :evil: so I had to roll the lips.

I think John Coffee recently posted some pix on his new wheels and flares. See the second page for the flares

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7853&highlight=

Owen

Guest jim@speednation
Pics go to: [url']www.wheelchoice.com[/url]

I MUST have those wheels! Wow, they're just what I was looking for. Dare I ask how much for the set?

Guest ShelbyZ

Jim, talk to Joji at wheel choice. 1-562-427-0611. This is a great place to deal with. I wanted 16x10's in the rear but, there just aren't many street tires available and the one's that were found. Are just too tall I thought anyway. The 245/45/16 Bridgestone S03's are the maxed out on the 9" rim. Also the same with the fronts. See tire racks spec page. I was running the same tire sizes on 16x8 Compomotive MO wheels and the handling of the car now is much better. I did cut the rear fender wells to get plenty of clearence for the rears. I had done this already before getting the Watanabe wheels. I talked with Kinesis wheels and I liked the sizing available but, I didn't like the wheels as much. Just trying to stay time period correct with everything on the Z.

Let us know what you get.

ShelbyZ

Guest Zachb55

i think my tires are 245s (not sure on rim width?!?) im assuming that the big number is the width of the tire, anyone know the relativity of the two? well i have only tested my flares without the welting in but the tires seem to do the trick, although they are bald but imma get some new ones of the same size.

Guest ON3GO

with a 245 rear tire on a 16x9 would the tire have a streched look to it?

i want my Z as low as i can get it with the ZG flares...(im going for a real killer JDM look)

im wanting to run 16X8's up front and 16X9 or 10 out back in a nice set of Watanabe's :)

mike

i think my tires are 245s (not sure on rim width?!?) im assuming that the big number is the width of the tire, anyone know the relativity of the two? well i have only tested my flares without the welting in but the tires seem to do the trick, although they are bald but imma get some new ones of the same size.

245s would work fine on an 8" wide wheel. 245 is mm, so yes thats the width, the next number would usually be 45/50 if this is on a 16" wheel, thats the profile which is in relation to the width. I believe a tire of this size is going to be 25.6"-26.1" or thereabouts tall.

• 4 months later...
Guest jim@speednation

Okay, it looks like I'm going to have to get different sized wheels (with different offsets) for the front and for the back. I was hoping to get four similar wheels to allow for rotation front to back. No chance of that, huh?

I found these new (for 2003) Konig wheels:

http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_subcategory.cfm?CategoryID=1&SubcategoryID=25

They look a LOT like the RS8 wheels we all covet. I think that they'd be perfect for most of us Z car owners if they were wider and in 15", 16", and 17" sizes. They also sell for around $100 each which makes them very affordable. I'm doubting if the 14x7 rims would look good under a set of ZG flares though.

I also found these Speed Star wheels:

http://oldschoolwheels.com/

They're fairly expensive compared to the Konigs but they are not as bad as the RS8s are. The biggest size most of them come in is 15x8 and that may be hard (in the future) to find a decent tires in. The Professor SP1 wheels are listed in 14" through 19" sizes, but no widths are mentioned. I haven't gotten an answer yet to my e-mail inquiry. I prefer the Reverse Mesh in black since they kind of remind me of the Enkei look. These should look good under ZG flares with the right offsets.

So here's my big final questions:

If I bought a set of four 15x8 SSR wheels to put under ZG flares, what common offset (for all four wheels) would you suggest? Could I just use spacers on the back wheels to make them fit better? Is this is the half assed method?

AND

If I bought the same set of 15x8 SSR wheels to put under ZG flares, what offsets would I need for the front two and the back two? Is this is the correct method?

What are your thoughts?

i run 15x10 watanabes rear and 8.5 fronts. front tires are 195-50 and the rear 225-50, has 4.5in back spacing no rubbing so far since i run the stretch tires. the rear wheels actually go a bit past the flare but doesnt hit,i might sell my fronts to get a different offset to push the wheel out more. heres a link to some pictures of the car

http://www.geocities.com/coolin550/Oldschool_Racers.html

http://www.geocities.com/coolin550/flare7.html

mike

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 81na ZX

Better late than never...

According to the RS Watanabe web site, a S130 can fit 14/80s front, 14/85 rear. OR 15/85 & 15/90. OR 16/85 & 16/90. Thats stock, with a -6 offset front and -13 offset rear.

Now, if ZG flares will add 1.5" of wheel/tire space, we can assume that 10 and 10.5" wheels will fit. *note* measure first :D A 10.5" R-Type Watanabe has a -32 offset (~1.25"), so 4" Backspacing.

Ofcourse I didn't write down anything about s30's ;)

16x8.5 -6

16x9.5 -13

240ZG..basically Z with ZG flares and G-nose

run a 195/50 on the front 205/50 rear if you want the streched tire look ^_^