HybridZ

ram jets

Guest quatra

Guest quatra

do any of you know what a ram jet is i wonder if it would be posible to mount one on the back of a z or any car for that matter. the only thing i know about them is they are jet engiens with no moving parts.

Have you been watching "chips" reruns? :D

I saw a show a few months ago that tests urban legends. They mounted a couple rockets on the top of a 65 impala and lauched it to 200+ on a dry lake bed.

The biggest thing they emphasized was the illegality of using them on the street and the amount of permits and paperwork involved just to aquire the rockets to begin with. not to mention they are single use.

It means I don't see this as a legitimate or even serious question but an attempt to get some sort of off-topic conflict started, ie trolling. Mounting a solid fuel JATO to a car is not a means of improving performance, just shortening your life. And if this WAS an honest question, it definitely doesn't belong in the SBC section.

:roll: First , you could never achieve sufficient forward speed in your Z that is required to light it off.

A ram jet,as the name implies, needs high speed ram air to function - operating on the hot compressed air fed via an initial flight to altitude mounted on a high speed carrier vehicle. Think German buzz bomb and you have the general idea-solid rocket booster and ram jet propulsion AFTER it gains spped and altitude...

Secondly, you would not be prepared for what would happen should you ever be able to light it off...

There are easier ways to kill yourself... :shock:

OK, to be a PITA. A JATO bottle is not a ram jet and V1 buzz bombs used pulse jets.

A ram jet is just a hollow tube with a fuel injector and maybe an ignitor. It uses the forward motion of the jet to build up a pressure wave inside the tube in the place of a compressor on a common turbo jet. Your absolutely right, no moving parts and no real top speed because theoretically the faster they go the more efficient they become.

But, like said above, you have to get to a pretty good velocity to get a ram jet to work. I don't know if you could get one to work at highway speeds. You can make small ram jets, surface to air missiles have used them in the past, so one small enough to mount on a car might be underpowered.

Why not a hydrogen peroxide rocket? Or make your own solid fuel boosters, kinda like the space shuttle.

Or even quicker, a bottle of Jack and some late night street racing....

One nice thing about having been around forever is you get a chance to see it all at least twice.

:o Hydrogen peroxide rockets have powered at least one 1/4 mile exhibition car and, I think, at least one land speed record attempt. I'd like to say about 1970-80... been around so long I think twice to determine my current decade.

:shock: The best of the lot was a small turbine (fueled, I think with natural gas or gas and oxygen mix) that drove a pinion gear that would bolt onto the back of a differential housing by replacing the inspection cover and would mesh on the backside of the ring gear. My recollection is that these units were rated at something like 150 shaft hp. The turbine was slightly larger than some of the middle sized turbochargers common on rice boxes today.

Nitrous does the same job today.

gw

Guest quatra

I don't know, but it would be my luck to get stuck behind that guy on the freeway. I like the way he removed the front bumper. Probably to increase the airfoil shape to give more lift.

I bookmarked that pulse jet link. That is hilarious. They have plans for a home built helicopter with pulse jets on the end of the rotor blades.

Can you say Wile E. Coyote?