HybridZ

Considering buying 04 WRX-STi. 0-60 in 4.6 for $31000 !NICE!

Racin_Jason

Hey gang. This ones really got me weak in the wallet...I feel woozy :lol:

This new WRX has really gotten my attention. The spec sheets and reviews read like a supercars! AWD with over .90 lateral grip, full Brembo brake system, 1/4 mile in mid-low 13's, 100-0 on par with 911-TT, Driver controlled center differential...the list goes on.

http://www.wrx-sti.ca/english/sti_eng.htm

http://www.subaru.net/events/2003/Detroit/index.htm

http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?id1=169&id2=0

After reading the reviews, the specs and seeing videos of the 'slower, older STi's'....its obvious this car is a Budget Performance Dream! The closest competitors (besides EVO) are in the 50K+ range. And a hard workin joe like me can actually afford a car with level of performance?...Im not sure I can resist.

I drive a lifted F150 now (gas prices killin me) and its been a great truck. I've considered sellign it and buying a Supra TT a few times over the years, but nothin serious. This Sti is SERIOUS tho Im afraid. 3/36 bumper to bumper with 5/60 powertrain, stellar performance and that new car smell for the same price as a 40K mile clean 8 year old Supra TT with no warranty. :shock:

The kicker is that its...well...ugly. But, its very econobox looking and would blend right in with the traffic. Very sleeperish.

These are limited and I would need to find a dealership that has one coming that isnt spoken for soon to grab one. So what do ya think? I know the "you know the kind of Z you could build for 31k?!" might surface, but this is for my daily driver. I am NOT selling my Z or prostreet Camaro =D

INPUT FOLKS? This is an expensive toy and im feeling weak! Its SO worth it right? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any opinions!

Jason

Yes they are cool cars, AWD is a big advantage in some areas. A very solid chassis, a good platform to build on.

My brother has an eagle talon, so I have some frame of reference. True they are capable of some lighting quick 60' times on street tires. But on the street it is not advisable to launch at 7000rpm, you will break expensive peaces. Getting a solid launch is tricky point between bogging and breaking the tranny. 0-60 most times is more like low sixes when driven like a sane person, still quite respectable.

Guest MistressMotorsports

Your only problems are going to be (1) finding a dealer without a 100 person waiting list and (2) finding one at sticker price. These are about the hottest things going right now. I went to my dealer over a month ago and they already had over 100 people on the waiting list. I wound up buying a regular 227 hp WRX Turbo and taking advantage of the incentives on '03 cars. A few simple bolt ons will make it about as quick as the 300 hp STI version for a lot less money. Regular WRXs can be had for about $22k. The engine is smaller, only 2 liters instead of 2.5, but there are a bunch of them running very low 12's on pump gas.

Mike

Guest tt350

If you want perofrmance and looks, get a Lancer Evo. They are out now here in california, so Ill get one if i had that much cash. Good luck holdin down your wallet!

I think the STi is cool, but the Lancer has everything it has, with looks.

If you look at the fornt, you can see the IC bright as rain. hehe

Used C5, I'll leave my comments at that for the sake of not appearing to be more of a jackass than I already do.

As for the last comment, the EVO is considered a better car, since rally cars are not my cup of tea though, I haven't studied either.

Yes this is a large chunk of money, and, hell no I dont have that kind of cash laying around. I do however have a 2000 F150 to sell plus some cash for a healthy down and the interest rates are still great. I could pull it off without much problem.

Yes Im very aware of the Mitsu EVO also. I've read the reviews and comparisons. Personally, it looks to boy-racer for me. I dont even like the wing on the STI. Bottom line points for me are Subaru is proven to be a much more reliable car on the average, The STI will have MUCH more low-midrange torque and the STI obviously comes with a nicer interior, better ride charachteristics and better quality standards.

Ive looked at used cars such as Supra TT, C5, WS6 etc. The Subaru seems to be a betttre overall package for the money, to me atleast. 6 year drivetrain warranty, awesome safety ratings, AWD grip, newer technology, good MPG for the power, LOWER INSURANCE for the 4cly/ 4 door and much less profile on the streets due to low stated looks to name a few. Besides, if I were to buy a used RWD sportscar, id be shopping for an MKIV.

I havent called around to the dealerships yet to see if they are spoken for or not. Not even sure how many they plan on importing. I'll have to stop by a few local dealerships and see. I know one the one here in town is taking deposits, but they said they are taking 28 deposits PER CAR. When the car arrives, they call the 28 people and the first to show up with the money gets the car. ?????? I figure this is uncommon and its not t late to get one in the near future. have to check into it to be sure.

Still not sure this car is worth selling my paid-for truck and takin on payments for. It sure looks like a too-good-too-pass-up bang for the buck. I'm not gonna jump into anything until ive heard opinions and had time to think about it seriously.

Boy I sure can visualize what ripping this thing through the moutains around here would be like, tho. :shock:

Guest ON3GO

the EVO is nothing like the STI.

The suspension, and it doesnt have the differentials like the STI.

The new STI looks badass.. once u see it in person it really looks nice..... plus the damn turbo, and motor on the EVO is pretty maxed out stock, while the STI isnt.

the seats on the evo are nice but the rest of the interior is pretty nasty.

good luck.. if i were u i would get the sti.

mike

Guest spunkysandoval

If i were in the market for a new car, the sti would be my first chioce hands down. It's just got it all. AWD, turbo, 6 speed, comfort, brembos, 4.5 second 0-60. :D

May I mention the forgotten ***cough*** 2003 Cobra ***cough*** 390HP for under $35,000 new. Oh, and for around $1000 in mods you're around 450HP or more.

Then again, I wonder what some boost upgrades to the Sti would do. I'd love to have one. Sooooo much fun.

Guest Look A Z

The STi just looks so bad a$$. I think if I had the money I would mind spending it on the STi. But imagine what you can do with that money to a Z!

I think the WRX/STI cars are really cool. But $31000 cool? Not to me. $10k buys a really nice used truck (which it sounds like you have), another $10k gets a skiboat, $3k for a dirtbike, $5k for a street bike and that leaves $3k for gas...or Z parts, or beer, or.. But I coined a saying, "You can't tell people how to raise their children or spend their money." Well, I guess you can TELL them, but results speak loudly! :D A new car is a good deal if you plan on keeping it for at least 10 years. Maybe 20 as prices get higher and higher, but it has been my observation that buying late model hot rods is a good way to make your wallet REALLY thin. Becuase you KNOW you won't be able to leave it alone, and big boost and broken pistons won't be covered under the warranty. Better to have only $1000 invested if it's going to sit beside the garage broken and not making $500 a month payments. JMHO...

I think Mike C. is my long lost twin...

There isn't enough crack in South East Washington DC to make me ever think one of these so called "New Supercars" is worth the $30000 price tag. Before your blood boils, remember I said "ME". I've never owned a brand new car, and I've never been seduced by that new car stigma. I'd do some more soul searching... $30000 in some parts of the country is 50% down on a home. However, Jason, If you do buy it, we'll want video of the four wheel burn outs!!!! :D:lol:

Mike :D

While I whole heartedly agree with Mike and Mike (the exact reason I'm driving a $700 ZX instead of a $15G econobox), an automobile is probably the worst investment you can make (that includes those of us spending $10G and more on our 30+ year old Z-cars). On the other hand though, you can't take it with you when you go, so spend it if you got it. Have fun while you're young and able to, as long as you have some $$$ put away so that you don't end up being a burden to your kids, or society in general.

"Smoke 'em if you got 'em folks!" - - - - and that applies double if you can smoke 4 of them at the same time!! :D:D:D

Tim

Funny how we think the same...true car folks I mean. I've considered what else the $30k could buy and, yea Mike, I could have many toys for the price of one. Very tempting indeed but my situation sort of chooses for me. I dont have any more ROOM for more toys. I have 2 cars in a 2 car garage that are both unfinished. I have a street bike and a dirt bike (havent riden either in over 2 years). Here in SoCA our typical home has a small garage and a driveway so toy-room is at a premium...and Im maxed out.

I could easily talk myself out of this whole thing. I mean, shit, I already have 2 fast cars in the garage...now get out there and FINISH ONE! The truck serves the utility need and the project cars serve the need for thrills. Makes perfect sense.

Now let me slip out of my Joe Practical outfit and get back into my Pro-Drag tshirt. The truck is boring me and the gas is murder. As time goes on I find myself wanting to be able to drift a corner or just run through the gears on the way to work. I think it would be a great mood enhancer.

Also, come to think of it, it STI would be practical also. Atleast somewhat. It is afterall a 4 door and a 4cyl. Room for family, fuel economy and decent insurance. Plus its safer then my F150 according to crash test results. It would definately be more cramped (im a big guy) and less comfortable than the F150, but I think the performance would outweigh the loss in space.

I know I sound like my mind is made up already but that just inst the case. I dont want to regret this purchase because my hindsight proves to work much better then my foresight. Lots of choices at this price level and I have a perfectly good truck right now. Something in me just sees the chance to have a supercar at a young enough age to really, really enjoy it...and while bad choices can be frustrating, I can't relive my youth. Whats left of it anyways :roll: