HybridZ

1G DSM BOV?? How loud? :)

Guest tx84ae

Guest ON3GO

there loud but compared to a HKS SS, or Blitz, or RFL there no where near as loud... but like i said u can hear them and for the money there awesome.

mike

whatcha mean a 1g isnt loud, the dsm guys dont even use aftermarket bov half the time, they just unplug that thing and let er rip, sounds pretty raw, maybe not as whistly as a hks or greddy, but dang man, they are pretty loud. im running recirculated now, will do hks ssqv later.

also dont know a 1g will work with a afm system, it may stall out.

Guest ON3GO

well if u crush the 1gen bov its kinda loud... other wise not really.. i guess im just use to hearing the RFL and HKS SS everyday....

Guest z1 performance

The crushing of the valve is simply to ge it to hold more bosot before leaking..has nothing to do with the noise though.

But all in all, it (as wella s stock WRX BOV's) are great for those on a strict budget.

Adam

probably sounds a little louder because he turned up boost a little bit?

ive heard them recirculated on a z, its only audible in the car. recirculated ones are louder if you dont have a air filter on the afm, but thats not advised. was just riding around with the air filter pipe disconnected, i felt fast and furious.

I took the pipe off my 1G DSM BOV on my 240 once just to hear what all the "hype" was about and it definetly made some noise. Can't say it was super loud, or compare it to others because i've never been in another car with one vented to the atmosphere but, you could hear it pretty darn good. My Z ran like crap with it that way so i hooked it back up to recirculate after a short run so i don't have much info, but at least some. It does work excellent and keeps the Z right on boost between shifts. The best part about it is that it cost me $20 :D I really don't hear it releasing when it's hooked up, but i know it does :wink:

I think the issue here is that any BOV will be louder when vented to the atmosphere. My 1G DSM is running the stock turbo, but with a spring/ball type manual boost controller, typically at 13-15psi on the VDO gage.

I don't hear anything at all. But then again, I have the BOV still hooked as stock to vent to the intake piping.

I guess venting to the atmosphere can help when the auto tranny or driver with a manual really shifts quickly and the turbo is really pumping like mad. But all that venting to the atmosphere stuff on the street with a small turbo is just "bling" to me. I roast 2nd gen DSMs that have that junk with my beater 1st gen DSM with the stock BOV vented to the intake all the time. "Bling" - that's cool, too bad it's just noise and doesn't mean anything unless you're really pumping some boost.

JMO

Guest z1 performance

Exactly...with a MAF equipped car, it is total bling to vent to atmosphere..I did it on the Galant whe we converted to the VPC.

Adam

Guest tx84ae
I think the issue here is that any BOV will be louder when vented to the atmosphere. My 1G DSM is running the stock turbo' date=' but with a spring/ball type manual boost controller, typically at 13-15psi on the VDO gage.

I don't hear anything at all. But then again, I have the BOV still hooked as stock to vent to the intake piping.

I guess venting to the atmosphere can help when the auto tranny or driver with a manual really shifts quickly and the turbo is really pumping like mad. But all that venting to the atmosphere stuff on the street with a small turbo is just "bling" to me. I roast 2nd gen DSMs that have that junk with my beater 1st gen DSM with the stock BOV vented to the intake all the time. "Bling" - that's cool, too bad it's just noise and doesn't mean anything unless you're really pumping some boost.

JMO[/quote']

Thank you for bringing exactly what I didn't want into the thread. :-(

I guess venting to the atmosphere can help when the auto tranny or driver with a manual really shifts quickly and the turbo is really pumping like mad. But all that venting to the atmosphere stuff on the street with a small turbo is just "bling" to me.

Pete - I would contend that it doesn't even help then - if properly recirculated, the output of the BOV goes back to the turbine inlet, which is almost certainly at a lower pressure than atmospheric.

Bigger pressure differential = better function for a BOV.

Thank you for bringing exactly what I didn't want into the thread.

Although you mentioned that you didn't want to discuss this in your original post, you did give the appearance that perhaps you were worried that it might be too loud. This implies that you thought that there was some advantage to venting to atmosphere, and weren't just worried about whether the added bling factor would make you look cool enough to your idiot friends. In that context, Pete's and others' comments were appropriate, in that they were pointing out that if you were worried about noise, there was no performance to be gained by venting to atmosphere anyway.

From your last post, it (sadly) appears that maybe you were hoping to increase your bling factor, and didn't really care about whether it did anything useful or not. To many of us, this puts your question at the same status as "Who makes the brightest LEDs for my windshield wipers", which we really just don't give a shit about. If this was in fact the case, maybe you could just say that specifically up front, and then the grownups on the board won't have to waste their breath trying to help you.

Guest tx84ae
I guess venting to the atmosphere can help when the auto tranny or driver with a manual really shifts quickly and the turbo is really pumping like mad. But all that venting to the atmosphere stuff on the street with a small turbo is just "bling" to me.

Pete - I would contend that it doesn't even help then - if properly recirculated' date=' the output of the BOV goes back to the turbine inlet, which is almost certainly at a lower pressure than atmospheric.

Bigger pressure differential = better function for a BOV.

Thank you for bringing exactly what I didn't want into the thread.

Although you mentioned that you didn't want to discuss this in your original post, you did give the appearance that perhaps you were worried that it might be too loud. This implies that you thought that there was some advantage to venting to atmosphere, and weren't just worried about whether the added bling factor would make you look cool enough to your idiot friends. In that context, Pete's and others' comments were appropriate, in that they were pointing out that if you were worried about noise, there was no performance to be gained by venting to atmosphere anyway.

From your last post, it (sadly) appears that maybe you were hoping to increase your bling factor, and didn't really care about whether it did anything useful or not. To many of us, this puts your question at the same status as "Who makes the brightest LEDs for my windshield wipers", which we really just don't give a dodo about. If this was in fact the case, maybe you could just say that specifically up front, and then the grownups on the board won't have to waste their breath trying to help you.

Hmmmm... Here's an idea, how about when you post in a thread, you JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION? :roll: This is a TECHNICAL BOARD, not a general discussion area. My question has nothing to do with your opinion. If I wanted an opinion on atmosphere vs. intake, I would have made a thread called "BOV: Atmosphere vs Intake". I only wanted to know how loud the 1G DSM BOV is when vented to atmosphere.

And no, I was more worried about it being too quiet. I do only want it for the sound, and if that offends you, then too freaking bad. I really want a Blitz Super Sound, but it is cost prohibitive at this time.

And I'm sure you've met all my "idiot friends" and know everything about them, right? Did you know the_dj is one of my idiot friends? Did you also know he thinks I should vent to intake? And did you also know I don't care about the inherent advantages to venting to intake? He's a real big idiot, you know, having a V-8 in his Z, real stupid like. All my friends and their Z-cars are just so dumb. :roll:

I guess I'm just a big ricer, I better go finish putting on my big aluminum wing on my 50th AE 300ZX. I think I'll put in this giant 9" indiglo tach while I'm at it. :roll:

And as far as being a "grownup", why don't you come back when you find out what it's like. :roll:

To everyone who posted about how loud it is, thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll be using it for now. :)

Hmmmm... Here's an idea' date=' how about when you post in a thread, you JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION? :roll: This is a TECHNICAL BOARD, not a general discussion area. My question has nothing to do with your opinion. [/quote']

My point exactly - you didn't ask a technical question. Not only that, the answers that you were apparently upset about getting were the only technical answers offered.

As I said - just say that up front, and you won't be bothered with pesky technical answers.

Eat your wheaties.

Guest tx84ae

Hmmmm... Here's an idea' date=' how about when you post in a thread, you JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION? :roll: This is a TECHNICAL BOARD, not a general discussion area. My question has nothing to do with your opinion. [/quote']

My point exactly - you didn't ask a technical question. Not only that, the answers that you were apparently upset about getting were the only technical answers offered.

As I said - just say that up front, and you won't be bothered with pesky technical answers.

Eat your wheaties.

Yes I did, asking about sound levels of a particular BOV is technical.

If I had asked something like "what's the loudest BOV", then that wouldn't be techincal AT ALL. :roll:

And if you had any reading comprehension, you would realize the answers I was upset about were THE ONES TO A QUESTION I DIDN'T ASK AND SPECIFICALLY STATED I DIDN'T WANT DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD.