HybridZ

R200, strong as believed?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have commonly heard the R200 being referred to as bulletproof and strong enough to hold up to anything... I have also read threads of ppl concerned with the half-shafts breaking but nothing really about tributes to the durability of the differential itself. If I plan to drop a 350HP+ SBC into my Z and use the R200, how confident can I be that the R200 will hold up, especially if i get it to hook up good and like shifting hard? :?:

BTW, I plan to have a manual transmission..

Just like any rear diff that is open, you WILL break it if you spin one tire exccessively. You will destroy the spider gears and the pinion pin (spider pinion). A high perf car requires a limited slip or a moderate throttle foot. If you break an R200 limited slip you are doing something you shouldn't...

If its in the car you can jack it up and turn the wheels.... if they both turn in the same direction its a LSD.. but may be a welded diff. if they turn in teh opposite direction its a open diff. the car in question did not come with an LSD.... the first gen 300zx turbo did.

If it is the original rear end then it is not original. Only the 300zx's came with LSD. The sought after clutch type LSD's only came in the 87-89 turbo models. There were VLSD (viscous) in the later cars. There was never a stock LSD in the 240/260/280 z or zx as far as I know.

How do i know if it is LSD or not? The R200 is from an 81 280Z..

If it's from an US '81 280Z(X) chances of it being an LSD are very close to ZERO, unless someone put one in it, 'cause the factory did not.

The way to tell is to jack up the rear of the car, make sure it is out of gear and turn one wheel. If it is an LSD the opposite wheel will turn the same direction. If the other wheel does not turn or turns in the opposite direction, you got yourself a peg-leg (non LSD, Open Diff.).

Guest Phil1934

I'm building and bought a R200 but not yet running. Stony, I think you said you have custom stub axles. Did you break several stock ones and what's Moser charge for something like that? Also I wonder if the swap to CV jointed axles is really necessary. It seems CV's go out regularly on FWD but I've only trashed a couple U joints and could trace it to other things like broken U bolt retainers. If it is necessary what ZX models have the right axles?

i didnt break any stubs just half shafts. they will not hold up to anything above 350rwhp at teh drag strip. i had a local machine shop machine my strut to accept different bearings so i could use z31 300zx stub shafts... they are bigger and stronger... then i had teh driveshaftshop.com in newyork build a set of custom chromoly axles to fit my application. it all cost right around 1000US along with this i converted to 300zx disc brakes at all 4 corners.

Guest Phil1934

So the problem with the half shafts is the small diameter outer shaft to make the sliding joint? And you would eliminate that with CV joints as they have a little end play. I just ordered new U joints for the R200. Engine is maybe 350 HP, 9.7:1, Melling 290/300 cam, small valve smog heads and 4 deuces. Should I cancel the order or will it hold up for a year or so with a T5 and BFG DR 235/60-15's?

How do i know if it is LSD or not?

I know I sound like a freakin' broken record here, but...

The ONLY way to know for sure if you have a limited slip differential is to take the rear cover off and look inside. The spinning wheels routine doesn't work. A welded diff will appear to be an LSD if you waste your time spinning the wheels.

Take the cover off!

I don't believe anyone really knows how strong the R200 is or how much power it can withstand, because it's the halfshafts or stub axles that break first! It would be interesting to see a bullit-proof set of halfshafts and stub axles in a high powered Z to see what it would take to break a R200!

Mark