HybridZ

New best time

Friday night I went to the track with a couple other Z guys from the Dallas area.

My best time of the night was:

R/t ... -.088 opps

60' ... 2.072

330... 5.610

1/8 ... 8.456

MPH... 88.36

1000... 10.926

1/4... 12.987

MPH.. 107.84

This was ofcourse the best of the night and I just ran the one 12 but, ran several low 13's earlier in the evening. The tempature was hot and most of the guys were saying the track was slippery.

WOW. You're 60' wasn't all that impressive, and your MPH doesn't indicate that you had tons of power on board, but your time kicks ass in a 280zx! Looks like you drove a great race... If you can get those 60' times down you'll be solidly into the 12's.

Great stuff!

My combo. is just stuff I've copied and taken advise from members of Hybrid Z on and come together nicely.

Basic rebuilt motor no machine work just some bearings and timing set.

HKS intercooler kit made for the ZX but, I redid the pipes they were very weird as they came from HKS. Purchased used.

Profec B

2 1/2 into 3" manderal bent DP and exhaust system. I made

Ported exhaust manifold

Weber 60mm T-Body

Lightened stock flywheel.

Clutch by Dial-a-clutch.com

JWT 85 computer and MAF Purchased used

Bosch adjutsable FPR 40 psi at idle

Rebuilt TO4b-T3 turbo clipped turbine wheel.

MAF to turbo pipe 3" manderal bent. I made

87 LSD with 3.7 gear ratio

One thing that helped me was the LSD I really didn't pick up that much in the 60' but, it seemed to help once I got the car moving and shifting into second and third gear. It's alot of fun around corners though. My tires are some cheap 17" tires that I put on when I put the rims on. I used the cheapies just to get the car rolling again and was going to upgrade asap. Well as always other things came up and I never got around to getting new tires. I think if I had some Drag Radials I would definatley improve the 60' and the rest of the run. I've also got a set of Energy Supension rear control arm bushings that I need to install. I'm getting some wheel hop in first if I don't make the tires spin pretty good off the line. I'm hoping by installing the bushings it will help to control the rear end better and not let it move around so much.

This is just my experience but I don't think that the improvement that you'll get with DR's justifies the cost unless you are going to run them all the time. I am going to 16" MT ET streets for the track. I had Nitto DR's and they just don't hook like a slick. I was blowing them away at 3500 coming off the line. They hook better than the Khumo's that I run on the street but they aren't slicks. I got my best time by walking them out of the hole with the clutch - pretty expensive launch technique though. :( 1,83 60Ft. I should be able to get 1.5-1.6 out of slicks. Just my opinion - Doug

Dr's will help, you can probably pick up 2 tenths of a second with them.

I have found I run my best times just revving up to about 3 to 3.5k and dumping the clutch, that gets me into the 1.8-1.9 60 foot times.

I want to try slicks and see what happens there, and I need a clutch for sure if I go that route.