HybridZ

Swap ALMOST done! 240SX IRS with R230 VLSD & 335's

:D Well, I am almost done with the suspension. So, here is what I've got: 5 lugs, big disc brakes with e-brake, tough axles and VLSD diff. with monster 335/35/17 tires. I am using Cobra R wheels, Viper tires, 240SX subframe and suspension arms, 11+" vented rotors with calipers from an Infiniti J30 (bolt-on), and R230 VLSD Infiniti Q45 diff. (3.54). I wanted the 3.7 300ZTT but I picked up this diff for $100. Total cost I think has been relatively low.

My two brothers, both mechanical engineering guys and my Dad are coming next week to help me mount my VR kit and to finish up all the odds and ends. So, hopefully, by September I will have a running, driving LS1 powered Velo Rossa. I will take time then to sort through all of my pictures and do a write up on the LS1, Suspension etc. Wish me luck!

I only have a few pics up now but here they are. :burnout:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/maichor75104/lst?.dir=/Velo+Rossa-Zcar&.view=t

You may have to cut and paste this link of old pics of my LS1 mounted.

http://www.geocities.com/maichor75104/

Guest 240hybrid

Me likee.....that thing is gonna have some insane grip! Hope that 240sx diff. is up to the challenge. Like they say "Its not power that breaks diffs., its traction". Thats a wicked setup, would love to see the undercarriage.

Too cool.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement guys. :-D

Yes, I do have more pictures, lots of them, but I am very pressed for time and so I haven't uploaded too many yet. Things will calm down in a few weeks and I will be able to spend more time on the computer.

Front suspension? Well, I am doing my best to fit the Cobra R 17 X 9's on with Z31 hubs. It will be close since I have about 2" of flare up there. The front tires are 275/40/17's, also from a Viper. I picked up the set of Michellin XGT's, used but not dead, on ebay for $50. Gotta love ebay! Factory specs say you should have 11 inch wheels for 335's I may move down to 315's until a rich uncle dies and leaves me $ for CCW's or some other custom wheels. Cobra wheels are the perfect offset to give max back spacing.

As far as the diff handling the power. I don't know, but I have Q45 shafts which are larger diameter and the diff is not from the SX it is from the Q45, R230. If it breaks, I did my best. I may have to learn how to control that right foot! :flamedevil:

I am really interested in some pictures of how you actually mounted the subframe to the car as it directly relates to some work I am doing to my Z.

Any and all pictures, either posted on yahoo or e-mailed directly to me are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

Bob Hanvey

rehanvey -at- yahoo.com

(obviously replace the -at- with @)

Obviously, this does require extensive modifications, I made a few mistakes, actually cut out too much of the unibody etc., but it is all working out. I didn't have to backhalve the car for the suspension points. . . but, that would probably have been easier! To position the subframe, I made a plate that bolts up to the mustache bar mouning points and has the subframe mounting points drilled on center to those holes. That put the subframe square and centered.

As far as mounting the subrame, new reinforced areas had to be welded in for all 4 mounting points and the bottom of the tool carrier cubby holes had to be removed. Then, the unibody needed to be reinforced because I cut most of the original rear portions of it out.

As someone mentioned, the best view will be from underneath. I do not have any pics of that. The car is my homemade rotisserie right now, so maybe this weekend I can flip the car up on its side and take some pics. Check back on this post after the weekend and I should have them up. I hope! :wink:

The upper portion is the stock aluminum Corvette tower. My two brothers and I spent one evening when we got together last Christmas in a friends machine shop to make them. It was so much fun, they are coming to Texas to help install the VR kit and get as much done as possible in a week. :D

Maichor,

Great pics!!, I'm doing the exact same install in my 73 (including the LS1), but, I'm using the 300ztt subframe suspension and diff :D . Please post pictures of your progress, I'm not going to begin the fitting until sometime next month, so your input should be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...