HybridZ

Any pilots on this board?

Guest tom sixbey

Guest tom sixbey

I'm studying for the private pilot exam now. Wont be able to get back into a plane again for a couple years, but MAN am i looking forward to it!

I started to get mine about two years ago, but found out I couldnt really afford it at this time in my life. I did get some logged time in a 152 though.....theres nothing like being blown all over the skys in that little flying soda can.

good luck on your exam...my father took his about a year ago, he told me thats one of the thoughest things he has done in a long time.

My step-dad is a pilot. We have a 1949 Cessna 170(maybe its a 172?) Taildragger. Its currently in restoration project though. So it hasnt seen the "friendly skys" in like 3 years! :shock: We also have an "Areonca(SP?) Deffender" not sure what year that one is? Yeah my step-dad is big into flying. Hes an Aircraft Inspector for United Airlines and hes a big time skydiver! :shock: He tried to get me to be a airplane mechanic but that wansnt my thing! Cars are!

Guy

Monroe LA, and Tulsa (short stint there). LIT was my next bid, but by that time the PATCO strike took place, and my career took at turn (and so far, for the best). ATC is a young man's game, so I'm sure I would not be real happy with it at this point in my life. I saw some neat stuff, and saw some things that were disturbing, so I wouldn't say I regreted the years I devoted to it.

Hey, I happen to be a pilot. Actually I'm a senior at the University of Illinois studying Aviation Human Factors and it's going quite well for me. I love it. Currently I hold a commercial pilot's certificate with an instrument rating and this semester I'm starting on a flight instruction rating. After that maybe a multi-engine rating to go along with an instrument instructor's rating. Man, though, everything costs money and money is tight. I really envy the GI bill guys sometimes because they barely have to pay anything at all!

Go Terry, you ATC guys rock, albeit that you are still human, but we pilots are even MORE human sometimes. That might only make sense to those pilots among us I guess... Does it piss you guys off when we talk like Super Troopers? ex: Arnie Peanut Unic GPS direct to Frank Idaho Jimmy? (Guilty) LOL

Pat

Did I hear a "niner" in that phone number?

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never seen the movie, but this is true on any movie that I know a lot about the subject, e.g. movies about auto racing, etc. I see so much masculine bovine feces in these movies that I cannot pass it off as artistic license to enjoy the movie. I will say that even though pilots can be a PITA sometimes, they are also our best friends other times. You know, the guys that will give me a tight downwind and base in his little ol' 172 so that I can beat the DC9 on a long final.

I just have to tell you, my buddy and I went flying the other day. He is a very smart guy that gets caught up in pondering technical things while he should be thinking of what he should do next, I on the other hand think about those thechnical things while accomplishing other tasks quite well. So in other words I don't get my mind stuck (sometimes :roll:) :-D . Well, we went flying quite a bit just him and I because we share the same passion, aircraft. He says that sometimes it can get boring, but I feel it can never get boring! The last time we went up there were at the most 4 aircraft trying to land at the same time and with another two eyes it made spoting the other aircraft a heck of a lot easier. It was so much fun finding these guys and calling them out! "I got a guy on your 6" or "I just saw another guy on the trees on your 2"... it was like calling out a FS video game but real life. We were up for 1.2 hours and considering that we were paying 100/hour for this plane, and we still had make a few touch and go's and then land, we should really land this thing! Well, the touch and go's went well execpt for a Hawk that almost smashed the plane at about 200 feet up while taking our final (seriously, the bird was about 10 feet from hitting the wind shield). On our final to land, I decided to watch how my buddy controlled the aircraft while landing. We came in and about 15 feet off the runway the aircraft "balooned" without my buddy touching the controls and went up another 10 or so feet, so I watched my buddy correct and give her some gas, and try to land again, but this happens again! I then ask why is the plane rising without you giving any input? He told me to shut up and we went to land again (third time in one landing) and the aircraft came down nice and soft like always. The ATC then comes on the horn, calls out my buddies aircraft and says, "3SP, you were only cleared for one landing." Imediately, I bust out laughing. He had no idea why I was laughing... I had to explain to him that the tower was making fun of him. After we came to a full stop, he finally got what happened and replied to the tower, "Tower, that's not very funny", to which there was a reply of, "(TOWER: laughing in the background)" :D

It was the best time I had flying yet.

I will be getting my pilots liscense soon, very soon. I need to, it's been a childhood dream of mine.

!M!

...over 3000 hrs in helicopters (Master Army Aviator) ~1200 in airplanes of various types - all over a 25 year period, and some of that time is as a commercial pilot in an air taxi/aerial photo/part 135 operation.

Phantom's experience would be radically different than mine - he flew 'em high and fast (I'm assuming F-4's?)..... nearly all my helicopter time is as a Cav pilot between the trees (AH-1/OH-6/UH-1) and forms the bulk of my experience.

Unfortunately, commercial piloting bores me by comparison.....

I`ve been wanting to get my "private licence" also. It`s something I`ve been thinking about for a few years now.

That will have to go on hold for now since we have another baby girl on the way. I guess I should concentrate my extra funds to finishing my current projects before I take on another costly one.

But, Someday... :wink:

Guest tom sixbey

hey 73GNZ - patzky's right - your buddy came in too hot and bounced off of the ground effect. - it happens a lot for people transitioning over to the 172 from a 152... It can be dangerous too - i've seen people stall on the rebound during a landing such as this - at Olive branch a few months back we had to write off a 172 for this very thing..

WOW - i had no idea there were so many pilots on this forum... - As soon as i finish my car, i'm getting back into the seat!

As for the military - that was my original plan when i was flying as a teenager - that is until i realized that i needed corrective lenses - talk about a let down. I had soloed on my 16th birthday, gotten superior cadet in ROTC and everything - i was ready to go! Now that i'm done with college and getting back into the game, i'm just going to have to be content with civilian flying. If i ever strike it rich i'm going to build a Mk IV Spitfire and have my own private grass runway out in the middle of nowhere... haha YEAH!