HybridZ

explosive flywheel

zguy95135

I don't want to have a flywheel explode and cut off my feet.....yes, I do have a fear about this. With my turbo V8 project, that's what I will have: Lakewood Bellhousing. For my N/A V8 under 6000 rpm , the Corvette bellhousing should be fine.

Davy

Heat checking I believe will contribute to this very serious problem. This is usually the first thing I check when examining a flywheel before an install. I've never had a flywheel explode, but I did have a pressure plate explode. In that example, I was intentionally slipping the clutch on the holeshot in the hopes a smooth engagement on the first 30 or so feet to avoid breaking the tires loose in an old Mustang....Wrong! :shock: When that thing let loose it sounded like a plate glass window shattered all around me. One piece went through the hood, one punctured the header, and one ripped through the battery tray and battery. This was AFTER it left a 3" gap between the motor and the transmission (can we say "NO bellhousing?"). Fortunately for the Z, the flywheel is well forward of feet and toes and I feel safer if nothing but this.

I have taken my Arizona Z Car flywheel to 3 machinists now. Every one of them said "WOW! Do you have a scattershield?" No kidding. The same with all 3. It is THIN.

The last one told me to use this dye on it. I can't remember the name of the stuff (chem-dye???), but I'm sure someone here will know what it is. Anyway, you put the dye on the metal surface, let it sit for so long, then clean it all off. Then you spray this white foam on the metal, and wherever there is a crack, the dye will wick out and you can see it.

The flywheel passed the test, so I stuck it back in. I also made some small 1/4" plate guards that cover the driver's and passenger's feet. I talked to a long time drag racer, and he said that a kevlar tranny blanket would work to control the flywheel. I called Summit and they said no, so I don't know what to think. Certainly it wouldn't hurt.

There has to be a good option for those of us who still use Nissan trannies.

Anyone else have a good idea, or an opinion on the kevlar blanket???

Jon