HybridZ

Anyone else gonna daily drive their Z in snow?

patzky1

My z is my daily driver to and from the airport, which is like 8 miles away and outside of town. Does anyone else drive their Z in the winter? I'm asking this of the guys that will actally see snow/ice/whatever else nasty, not of you lucky ones in TX and CA.

Before the V8 conversion I drove the z for part of one winter and it was fairly docile (if you overdo it the 50/50 balance takes over and all four weels tended to skid out at the same time), but now might be a different story. My main concern is doing a lot of accidental donuts and maybe ending up in the ditch if I'm not extremely careful. By the way, I AM a decent driver and never had any problems in any other car I have had. I have pretty new all season tires as well. So, what do you guys think?

Pat

Guest comeandzpa

Pat,

I drove my 81 ZX all last winter, except for when the snow was so deep that I couldn't open the doors/get the car to move (which was quite frequent, actually). Yes, it has a tendency to kick the back end out more often than you would expect. However, I found that by practicing driving it in deserted areas, I learned to control it in a slide. This made driving it in the winter even more fun. Sliding it around corners whenever you want, but always having control over the car. I would say on the first snowfall, take it out to an empty parking lot. Practice stopping/turning 90 degrees like you might around town. Practice going in a straight line and doing a lane change. Practice all of the things you will need to do on a normal basis, until you are confident in your abilities to not kill someone. They are calling for flurries here tomorrow, so that time may come sooner than any of us hoped!! Good luck, and enjoy!

Thanks, Jeremy. I'll do just that :evil:

I agree that they kick out easily, and with like twice as much torque as before the swap I just don't wanna get myself in too deep in snowy weather. Pun intended.

I feel that it wouldn't be too much of a problem to get re-used to the car in the snow. But, has anyone driven a V8 1st gen in moderate snow? That might be a more concise question to ask.

Cheers, P

NO WAY. With another car and a truck in the driveway, I now have the luxury of being picky about which days I drive the Z. Back when my Z was my only transportation, I did drive it through several ice storms. Yeah, it was a handful, but it did better than several other cars I've owned. It was stable and predictable, and I think I only spun it once doing something stupid. But then again, I drive like a granny - a granny who now has a big honkin' V8 engine, thank you very much!!! :twisted:

Although my car has never seen snow or salt, there is no way that I would even consider driving it in the winter. I couldnt stand the thought of my car getting salt in all the nouks(sp?) an crannys! RUST = :cry:

I did make the mistake of driving my car about a month ago in the rain. Since my tires dont really have a lot of tread on them they are kinda like slicks and with the LT1 up front pushing the ponies, lets just say it was interesting even at 60mph! :shock::D

I second the "buy a beater option"

:D

Guy

here in chicago, it is not the snow that bothers me about driving my z in the winter, it is the over use of salt. they cover the streets if they think it might snow. the streets are literaly white with salt well into the spring and at all the intersections there are piles of salt where the trucks stop. and when the dust blows up off the streets, it gets in everywhere, and a z does not need help rusting.

RPMS love the documentaion that you have put up on your Z related site :D

Thanks man, you're too kind!

It's time for a major update. I think it's been over a year since I posted anything. When I finally get the V8 sorted out and it stops occupying my every waking moment, I'll get in there and do an overhaul on the site and add the 15 or 16 pages of stuff I've written for it!!