HybridZ

t-56 to a 280z block?

Guest sleepr240

Guest sleepr240

Im slowly but surely building a 3.1 turbo stroker for my '73 240z. Does anyone know if it is possible to bolt a T-56 to a 280 block?

If so, where would I get the adapter to do this.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

its possible but the question is do you have the $$$ to do it? there is a guy on this board who has this done actually. he has a white 510 with a 3.0 l28 stroker and a t-56. you should ask him. his name is sss510 or somthing of that nature. thoes trannys are really heavy though I wouldent think they are needed. 5 gears are enough if you ask me. oh and welcome to the board :D

Guest sleepr240

Im project to pe putting roughtly 400+hp and approx. 455+lb of torque to the ground.

As for the rear end, Im rplacing it with a preformance one built to take those type of numbers and custom built half-shafts.

I mostly just want a tranny that will give me good power transfer, have both great off the line power and cruising gearing.

The rear end is most likely going to be either 3.96 or even 4.11 gear ratio.

And I do appreciate all the help, Thank you.

I'd put ANYTHING OTHER than a T56 in THAT car. The T56 tranny gives you an additional 40-50 pounds of weight over any of the Tremec 5 speeds out there. Not to mention the cost of a decent clutch kit will run you big time, PLUS adding the complicity of the flywheel and plumbing for hydraulics issue.

If you are going to go to the expense of doing this, I'd suggest having a Tremec 5 speed adapter plate made. My experience with My T56 was not as pleasent as others. With my radical (Not really THAT radical) cam, I had issues of not being able to use the 6th gear in the car for daily use. Any thing under 2000RPMS (Which was less than 90mph!) and the car would buck in protest of the lack of vacuum. It simply isn't worth the added expense and serious weight hit in the center of the car for bragging rights on saying you've got a 6 speed.

Mike

Im project to pe putting roughtly 400+hp and approx. 455+lb of torque to the ground.

As for the rear end' date=' Im rplacing it with a preformance one built to take those type of numbers and custom built half-shafts.

I mostly just want a tranny that will give me good power transfer, have both great off the line power and cruising gearing.

The rear end is most likely going to be either 3.96 or even 4.11 gear ratio.

And I do appreciate all the help, Thank you.[/quote']

T5 from a manual ZX turbo will take that no problem.

my question about nissan t5 is if it does take that hp how long will it last with some drag radials or et streets? i doubt that it will last at all with some sticky tires. were't they rated from factory at like 300hp or less?

Ivan

You can see from my sig I am putting 419 torque through mine, and I run drag radials. Shane (a racer local to me) ran a T5 with slicks and high 11's for several years. That 240 was running 400+ hp. The only issues with the T5 seem to be shift fork related, and that can be remedied with a good shifter with hard stops.

Guest sleepr240
Checkout the G-Force T-5, good to 600HP/500lbs. in a 3300lb car with drag radials.

now im thinking bout the G-Force after reading up on it. :twisted: thanks for all the help guys, ill keep everyone posted on the progress.

The T-56 in my 510 was a serious pain to install and required reforming my tranny tunnel.I was planning on running a HUGE shot of nitrous off the line with slicks and wanted a tranny that could take the abuse.For the money I would just stick a T-5 in the car and run a aftermarket shifter.

I'd stick with a T5 if I were you for the following reasons:

Don't have to change the rear gear and don't want to (unless you can find a 3:36 instead of a 3:54). Turbos like LOAD. People have switched from a 3:54 to a 3:70 or a 3:90 and actually LOST acceleration because the turbo doesn't get enough load in the lower gears!

The fact that you are building a stroker should help with the low speed (off boost) torque, so there is no need for a steeper first gear - or even lower overall gearing (reference the above point)

The first gear would be practically unusable (too quick) - and this is WITHOUT going to the higher numerical rear gear you were contemplating.

THe higher numerical ratio the set of gears has, the less strength (the teeth are narrower). Drag racers in the 60's and 70's used to put 4:88s in their cars and they didn't hold up like the 3:50's and 3:70's.

The gearing w/T5 and 3:54 or 3:36(especially) gears is pretty spot on on the expressway.

Plus, I have always thought that the torque from a turbo motor is not the instantaneous sort that CID results in and hits a little softer in a drag racing scenario - which is why you were concerned about using DR's - right? With a compressor bypass/blow off valve, you will get boost again quickly, but not the hard hit of torque in shifting like you would from CID torque.

KEEP THE TURBO LOADED and you'll be a lot happier.

JMHO

:)

Brad