HybridZ

I'm going to race a camaro ss...

JoeinCA

150 is a bit ridiculous, I've done 150 in my Z28 but it has a good deal of suspension work, I wouldn't feel safe in a stock car doing that. Anything goes wrong on a public road and good chance you may not walk away from it, if you do maybe not in one big blob like you are now. Track is significantly safer, 36 foot wide of clean sticky track in broad daylight, hopefully paramedics on hand just incase. I have heard of incidents needing people to be airlifted out, it happens.

Guest Smooth Operator

At that speed, a blown off piece of rubber from a semi in the road could be more harmful than a frag grenade thrown into your car. Im not preaching to you cause I think we've all went pretty stupid fast in cars in our lives. If you start to feel your front end lighten(youll probably know what it is when you feel it, its scary), DO NOT proceed. You might end up doing a flip like that CLK-GTR.

I remember getting my stocko 260z up to 200kph, which is about 125mph your speed. (Funny thing is, the car wasn't fully wound out in 5th yet.)

And that was down a busy highway (my highways busy is no where near as busy as the american highways) and yes, I shat myself and thought i'm never going to do that again. Cause the front end of the car was so light it wasn't funny.

From that little experience i've come to the conclusion that, no way i'm going to that speed again the way my car is atm (totally stock pretty much) and i'm not going to speed that fast down the highway again.

You people sound like a bunch of paranoid freaks, all scared to drive a car in a straight line. Are all of you moms or what? I routinely drove my STOCK 1976 280Z up to 130mph and when I got some motor mods, 140mph.

Then when I got the V-8, I didn't have much gear (only a 3-speed automatic), but I still got up there to about 120mph on occasion. I once took a trip out of town and I "cruised" anywhere from 100mph to 120mph almost the whole way. I actually did that about 3 times, twice with the Inline6, and once with the V8.

Heck, I recorded a 124mph trap speed at the drags one time with stock brakes and springs(mas28O was driving). It's no big thing as long as there is plenty of room, no traffic, and it's a straight line.

Y'all are just overly fearfull, that's all.

Come on guys lets not start a flaming war! I think 150mph is bit fast for a STOCK Z but with a few mods I think it can be done safely. I also think that JoeinCA is a big boy and can make the right decisions on his own. If he thinks he can beat this guy up to 150mph then let him. If hes racing him and he doesnt think that his car can handle the speed then Im sure he will slow down, right Joe?! :D:wink:

I personally dont think its a good idea to be doing this race at night, you did say at 2:00am right? Anyways I hope that you(Joe) beat this guys a$$ big time and show him that the Camaro SS is not the fast car on the block! :D

Guy

Look Joe.....if you really want to do it, then go ahead, it's ultimately your decision. Just take a few precautions. Have a few buddies go down the road a mile or so and bolck any traffic that may 'come along'. with cell phones have them buzz you if cops show. (maybe they can pretend to have a broken down car).

At least that way you will take some variable out of the equation. Just make sure you stay in your lane!!

Good luck...

Tim

Thanks to the guys that dont think i'm a complete moron.....

(whether or not they are right :-))

My friend and i decided that it wasnt a great idea, and that we would rather run a 1/4 mi, on a strip if possible.

I go to school from 4:30 pm to 1:40 AM.... we arent alway thinking clearly.

When i do race him, it will be in the safest way possible. There is no way that i am going to throw away all of the hard work that i have put into my car, just to show up a friend. He has seen and heard my car, and is convinced that he would lose anyhow... :wink:

However, there is a little subaru WRX that i would LOVE to STOMP... guy came into my apartment, and said flat out that V8s suck.

there were 5-6 V8 guys there.... what an idiot.

but that is a whole other story...

Joe