HybridZ

Turbo exhaust

240hoke

Ok,

This is a hard thing for me to come out and say.......

but i want a quieter exhaust. Right now i'm running a 2.5" SS downpipe to 3" mandrel bent piping and a single chamber flowmaster. I think it sounds real good, but it's my 1/2 daily driver and I'm tired of not being able to get on the car around town. An im kinda tired of getting nasty looks. Anything over 3K for crusing is obnoxious. So... that said...

I want a muff/resonator combo that sounds good but is resonably quiet without adding too much back pressure. What are my options?

i was thinking a resonator halfway with an offset dynomax muffler at the end? what you guys opinions/ what are you running.

Heres some pics of my current exhaust just to show you how small this single chamber is....

album_pic.php?pic_id=2103

-Austin

I don't have the turbo engine in yet (but that will be less noisey because of the turbo anyway, right?) but my stock engine has the 2.25" exhaust to a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. It wasn't too expensive and it is REALLY quiet. That is perfect for me, because I don't want to draw attention to myself when I am getting on it. (Call me crazy.)

I don't have the turbo engine in yet (but that will be less noisey because of the turbo anyway, right?) but my stock engine has the 2.25" exhaust to a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. It wasn't too expensive and it is REALLY quiet. That is perfect for me, because I don't want to draw attention to myself when I am getting on it. (Call me crazy.)

You are right, with the turbo it will be very quiet. It may be a bit slower as well, though, as exhaust restriction increases lag and limits top end.

Alright, ive been looking at jegs and summit for the Dynomax Ultra Flo SS mufflers. They only carry a round 3" in/out muffler. Would this be too loud?

Scottie were you runing a 3" round straight through?

Anybody running a hooker aerochamber?

-austin

Guest bastaad525

do NOT put a resonator I hear they are really bad about killing power in turbos. As these guys have pointed out there are plenty of mufflers that will quiet the sound very well just by themselves, and wont necessarily hurt performance much if at all. I've also heard, and did this on my N/A, that you can put a straight thru glasspack at the mid point and a muffler. But be careful, some glasspacks, which I've heard called "cheese grater" types... you can see... when you look thru them the inside is lined with little scoops... but there are ones that aren't like that (I think I saw some of the 'cherry bomb' brand that didn't have those scoops).

Right now I'm ONLY running a glasspack... it sounds great, real meaty and V8'ish, at idle and cruise, unfortunately it sounds kinda odd when you get on it... just like rushing air, almost like a jet. I'll be putting something better when I get the cash together for a proper 3" mandrel system.

Alright' date=' ive been looking at jegs and summit for the Dynomax Ultra Flo SS mufflers. They only carry a round 3" in/out muffler. Would this be too loud?

Scottie were you runing a 3" round straight through?

Anybody running a hooker aerochamber?

-austin[/quote']

Go with the Dyna Max straight thru. I had a Flowmaster on my car and it drove me nuts from 2200 up to 2800. I put a Ultra Flo D max on another turbo ZX and it was so much quieter and performed better. Leave the Flowmaster to NA guys.

Alright guys,

I ordered my muffler this morning. Dynomax Ultra Flo 3" in/out SS round muffler. Cant wait to get it!

On a side note, bastaad, as far as the glasspacks go, the ones with little scoops on the inside. Corky bell suggests that those be reversed so the scoops point the other way. Im advocating using these i just though i would mention it. Im not going to be running a resonator or anything for now, I hope this muffler is enough.

-Austin

Anyone know about the Blitz NUR Spec exhausts? I want to basically do a three inch all the way from the turbo downpipe straight into the exhaust. I think it will be deep. I'm all about deep and sounding like I have a motor powered by gas not a high pitched honda powered by rice. So me and this other guy are planning to drop one into the Z.

ON3GO has got a blitz NUR spec on his car, im not sure if its up and running yet but i know he purchased one. i just got my SS ultraflow today, getting it putt on thursday. ill let ya know what it sounds like.

Ive just been sitting here staring at it and dropping soda cans through the middle if it :D

-Austin