HybridZ

240mph 240z?

Jonas240z

:-D Hello Guys:

I would like to hear you guy's opinion, comments or advice on a craZy project. My goal is to create a 240mph streetable Datsun 240z without going overboard on the money issue. Here are the plans and ideas I got so far:

When: Project might start 5 years from now. :oops:

Why: Why not? :twisted:

Budget: $30,000-45,000 :shock:

Engine: SBC chevy, NA prefered(700 bhp aprox.) :D

Trans: Tricked out T-56?? :?:

Rear End: I have no clue :idea:

Body: Costume Wide body, reinforced body, etc. :wink:

Suspension: Got to do some research :?

Brakes: Racing Kit from Arizona Z car Hi performance parts?? :lol:

Rules: Has to run on pump gas, be streetable (I know is not gonna be a Cadillac ride), stay away from being in debt with all the banks in town :wink: .

Primary Use: Street/Track 8)

Inspiration: McLaren F1, Corvette Sledgehammer.

Prior mechanical experience: NONE :oops::(:cry:

Need: A new brain, more knowledge that i can digest, lots of experience and MONEY, psychiatric appointment.

Help: Books, Hybrid Z site :D , and people around me, even my cat.

Is it possible?: YES!

Pride: Be able to kick Ferrari owner's A$$es, (Enzo).

What do you guys think about this idea, any suggestions, comments, ideas, references....or anything else? Yeah I know is kind of a stupid idea, but for me is a challenge. 8) :twisted::D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hahahahaha...240mph :shock: ...hahahahahahaha

I have to agree!!

No mechanical experience......maybe you should tone down your aspirations a bit.

Point of reference.....My Dad set the SA Land Speed record for road going vehicles ar 237MPH on a running 1 KM stretch with a Twin Turbo 427ci Trans am. The kind of gearing required to get that MPH automatically kills your 'streetable' index.

Rethink your goals.

Tim

doesent a Z turn into a plane at that speed?

I would think some sort of g-nose type thing and one heck of a front air dam would be needed to keep that thing from doing a few flips. Why spend so much money when you can only do it on the salt flats? how about one bad ass auto-x/track car. you could still take that to the mountains for some fun. just my 2c on the whole idea.

The current fastest early Z in the country is a 260Z 2+2 that holds a number of F-Gas records at 170+ mph. This took about 340hp to achieve and he used a G-nose, moon disks, special 3.08 rear gears, etc. and 3 miles at Bonneville.

Engine: SBC chevy, NA prefered(700 bhp aprox.) .

Its not about horsepower when you get above 150mph. Its all about aerodynamics. Putting 700hp down on the salt is very difficult and its easy to get rear wheel spin at 200mph with that kind of power.

Is it possible?: YES!

Given enough time and money you can probably do it. But the budget you list:

Budget: $30,000-45,000

is probably half what the current LSR record holder has spent over the last 8 years to go 170mph. He also regulary out runs a number of Chevy powered early Zs that are making double the horsepower his little L6 puts out.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot John for the info!! :D

Yes I know it it's a really difficult challenge...but it can be done! Nothing is impossible. When you fallow the rules is when you limit yourself. I know it doesn't sound like i'm serious about it but i really am. This is just a challenge to myself, to see the limits of my brain and creativity. It might take A LOT more effort, time and money that what i expect at this moment. Like i said i have no significant mechanical experience :( but that's why I plan on STARTING the project 5 years from now. I'll try to get as much knowledge as possible to make it happen. I would like for you guys to give me some advise on how to start on the road of automotive technology, what school to go to what books to read, what classes to take etc. Thanks for your support. :P

---Oh, I forgot about the driver...mmm....who should it be??? :-D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it ain't gonna happen. While it MAY be possible to reach 240mph in a Z, it isn't going to happen in anything resembling street trim.

The McLaren F1 needed something in the area of 13km to reach 231mph.

Personally my gut instinct is that a Z cannot do 240mph, regardless of horsepower, or whatever mods you do. If you change it enough aerodynamically to reach these speeds, it won't be a Z. It won't look like a Z, and it won't have much of a Z left in it.

Consider that the power increase required to go from 170mph to 240mph is roughly 2X.

Sorry to be the pessimist (but I am)... With what you've described it isn't going to happen. Personally I'd shoot for 200mph as a starting point. You'll learn so much in reaching that goal that you will realize what it can take to get that extra 40mph for the NEXT project. Learn on the "slow" car. 200MPH in an early Z is a pretty lofty goal in itself. None the less, good luck! :D

You better know someone with a wind tunnel. If not, you better start looking. 5 years, eh. Get yourself a mechanical engineer degree or something that deals exstensively with aerodynamics. Basically, if you want to get a Z anywhere close to 200MPH, its going to take some power and one awesome belly pan and front end.

240MPH?

without extensive aero mods it will never come close, and when you start those mods, you wont have a car that looks anything like the original Z.

200MPH might be possible but your looking at triple or quad your budget.

geex, even then youll be lucky.

didnt SpencZ want to make 200MPH in his tube frame twin turbo 240Z?

whatever happened to that project anyway?

sorry to be an arse, but i still wish you the best of luck. try it in a Z32. youd have better luck.

Wait a minute....

I saw a Ruf- engineering Porche go 212 on the Autobahn yesterday on the "History Channel." That's not too far off from 240 mph, speedometer wise.

On the other hand.... Those cars go for about $150,000 :shock:

You sure that's not 240... KPH?

Well like I said before, I know it's not easy nor cheap...but it can be done. One of my objectives is to keep as much as the original 240z shape as possible. I know that i got to do something radical to that front end...otherwise i'll end up on space mission to the moon :D . Why 240 mph and not the more common 200mph, well because of what i stated previoulsly one of my inspirations is the McLaren F1 which achieved 391 KPH or 240+ mph. Also 240z...240 mph top speed :lol:. Thanks for your comments. Yes i'll need LOTS of good luck! but i'll do it :twisted:

Guest 240hybrid

Just don't kill yourself doing it...I would say the aerodynamics will hold you back from your goal, especially trying to keep the front close to stock. Good luck and look out for those cross winds. :o

hey!

I have this in mind for a couple of months already.

It's possible with that budget.

for those people who don't think it's possible, a mechanical engineering degree still won't do any help; experience comes from zero starting.

it sounds crazy for those people who think it's crazy, those people are just "possibly" crazy in the mind of the people who are doing the "impossible".

the drag force will limit your terminal speed; the lift can be taken care easily; areodymanic is quite a fun topic.

higher rpm engine, lower differential gear, and a nice six speed transmission shall work together.

luck won't take you there. it's your hard work that will bring you luck.

Theoretically you can build a car capable of doing it. I just don't know all the aerodynamic modifications that would be required. Here's what you would need mechanically:

LS6 motor with procharger running at 7 psi boost. That would give you at least 540 RWHP. It can be modified to give up to 700 RWHP with more money. T56 transmission along with the Nissan 3.70:1 R200 LSD or the R230 equivalent. With 25" diameter tires this will give you 240 MPH in 6th gear at 6,000 RPM.

My 280Z28 is currently running a 311 RWHP LS1 with no procharger, the T56 and the 3.70 LSD R200 with 225/50-16 tires and I have confirmed the gearing is good for 120 in 4th, 160 in 5th and 240 in 6th at 6,000 rpm.

The challenge is to find a way to keep in on the ground at those speeds.