HybridZ

show off your cage

I am designing a cage for my car, and would like to see pictures of other cages in Zcars. So, if you have one, or have pictures of one, please post them. It will be interesting to see the different designs. If you have info on how the cage worked to stiffen the chassis then post that too. thanks.

What is the intended purpose of the cage, chassis stiffening for the street, competition, track days, hmmm? There's a lot of cages out there that do little more than add weight up high. Search the archives for discussions on cages, somewhere there's a link to an old Z Car Magazine article on an ITS 240Z cage that makes a good starting point.

there are a whole bunch of photos of my roll cage in my gallery, here is a link to one of the pictures, please feel free to look around, as there are a number of photos that are spread out across my gallery.

You will see photos with the preliminary installation of my fuel cell, racing seats and roll cage. My roll cage ties into the front and rear suspension mounting points.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7454&password=&sort=3&thecat=500

well the I have a few reasons for building this cage. The car has had its frame rails and floor replaces, and i dont particularly like the job that was done. I will at some point fix this, but for now, I want to stiffen the car up without getting under it because i dont currently have access to a proper lift, and really could not do the job right. I plan to drift this car on the weekends, and want this car to be very stiff anyway, for control, safety, and longevity of the car. The cage i had in mind starts at the rear shock towers, that tie into eachother and the main hoop. from the hoop a bar follows the roofline to the dash area. double bars would run along the floor low enough that entry and exit wouldnt be too much of a hassle. at the dash two bars per side would penetrate the firewall, and tie into the front shock tower, and the fender. i will have a removable front tower brace, and the towers will be triangulated to the strong part of the firewall. sounds like alot, but drifting is very hard on cars, and i think the car will need it not to crack in half. This will also keep me from worrying about the frame not being straight when i replace the rails. Thanks for all the submissions so far.

My cage is a little different than the others. I built it as a means of reconstructive surgery rather than as a means of supporting existing structure. I already had a completed 5.0L powered 260Z project that I was very happy with until I turned in front of an oncoming pickup. The front of my Z was destroyed, but none of the drivetrain, suspension, or the body behind the firewall was harmed. So, to salvage what I had, I cut the front off my car at the firewall and built a new chassis by fitting a 2.5" square tubing frame, roll cage and tubular front end.

album_pic.php?pic_id=627

album_pic.php?pic_id=625

album_pic.php?pic_id=626

album_pic.php?pic_id=628

album_pic.php?pic_id=629

Zero,

Well it goes without saying that you should fix your car floorpans and frame rails before adding a roll cage.

If you looked at my photos you will see that i have tied all the suspension components together including the front swaybar, front and rear strut towers.

I hope that that helps.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2165

album_pic.php?pic_id=2164

These are some older pics of my roll cage install. All chromemoly steel. A very tight install, that is barely visable from outside the car.

That part of the cage is 12 points. (can't see all of the cage in the pics)

I have another 16 points of bracing..some adjustable, some not.