HybridZ

Please HELP! My mods have gone terribly wrong

Guest gprix1

Hey guys, I've got a '72 Z that I bought a couple of weeks ago with a turbo and Z280 HO motor. As I bought it, the car was pretty fast but I wanted to add some more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.

I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! I need to get this going as it's my only transportation and I don't have a way to get to work. Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Nissan cars.

umm.... your not.. umm you shouldnt do that...

what did you think sand would would do to your pistons, rods, cylinder walls, valves, seals, rings, and everything else.

mike

ON3GO,

I just got off the phone with my friend after your post and he said that their were rings or ring-valves or something like that kept that seperated from those things you mentioned and that would definately NOT be the problem. He's done a lot of mod's on cars so I pretty much trust him on this.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Of course that is BS, think about it. 2.8 liters is just a tad bit larger than a 2 liter bottle of Soda. Once you got that much sand in the cylinders would all be completely full and the pistons wouldnt have anywhere to go. Not to mention the fact that the pistons are never all the way down together so you probably wouldnt even get half that amount in before a couple of the cylinders were filled.

I think a moderator should talk to this fellow and remind him that this site is for serious discussions and troubleshooting. If you want to tell jokes, at least put it in the non-tech forum.

Yes, this story is BS. :lol:

I saw it on another forum and thought it was pretty funny. Yes, this is a SeRiOuS forum so I'll let ya'll know right now that YES, I was pullin' your leg and sorry for wasting your precious bandwidth with a non-serious post on a technical forum. Ya gotta admit though, it's not too far from what's out there.

For example,

I recently saw at the dragstrip a honda civic with a HUGE FMIC and a 20G turbo. I was quite impressed with the setup and it was all very shiny. I asked the owner of the car, "what are you using for fuel management?" and he just gave me a confused look. I changed the question, "Have you upgraded the fuel injectors?" The answer "No, that is stock".

I walked away trying to visualize the extreme detonation condition being created by the over-taxed 250cc injectors.

Yes' date=' this story is BS. :lol:

I saw it on another forum and thought it was pretty funny. Yes, this is a [b']SeRiOuS[/b] forum so I'll let ya'll know right now that YES, I was pullin' your leg and sorry for wasting your precious bandwidth with a non-serious post on a technical forum. Ya gotta admit though, it's not too far from what's out there.

For example,

I recently saw at the dragstrip a honda civic with a HUGE FMIC and a 20G turbo. I was quite impressed with the setup and it was all very shiny. I asked the owner of the car, "what are you using for fuel management?" and he just gave me a confused look. I changed the question, "Have you upgraded the fuel injectors?" The answer "No, that is stock".

I walked away trying to visualize the extreme detonation condition being created by the over-taxed 250cc injectors.

It's alright to post this kind of thing, but post it in it's PROPER FORUM! DO NOT post a joke in a tech forum! :nono:

Guest Z-rific

A Z280 HO engine? Whatever.

Anyway, I find this to be annoying as hell. It's not funny. It's very immature. It has no place at HybridZ.

If this was a funny post at another forum, then post it as such. Don't post it as if it were your own question, then try to keep it going by responding to Mike's post.

Thanks, gprix, for trying to make this forum more like the Honda forums. :roll: