HybridZ

Failure, here's to you!

auxilary

Guest livewire23

Welding is cool. They're right, you gotta learn to weld. The formula SAE team pulled out its nice Lincoln welder and taught me how to weld, and now I want my own MIG welder. By the way, its good to see the progress on the swap. Its lookin real good. I say go with a custom hood. Something perhaps with a bulge that says "there's something wrong under here"

you can always get a really crappy welder from sears, and just it to tack things in place and wait for mike d or jumbo to help you seam the stuff in.

Cutting a few places seems like the only way its going to work, cmon man you cant give up that fast.

wasnt there a guy with a shop that swapped 13B's in Z's? i remember reading about it on here... ill see if i can find on here or on the net.

also i say stick to the 13B.. you will be more happy in the long run. yeah i know money is tight, same here man, but its well worth it.

i need a welder too!!!!!!!!!!

mike

Alex,

I know that you're flip flopping on whether to go with the rotary or LT1. As I've voiced before, if it was my car, I would change to V8. I have nothing against rotaries, actually I think that they are sexy as hell, but they are so damned expensive. The price per HP compared to a domestic V8 is astounding, and maintenance may also be an issue. If you are going to have buget constraints in the long run too, think hard about your decisions now.

On the other hand, V8 conversions are becoming a dime a dozen now, so having the uniqueness of the rotary swap is very cool. In the end, do what is going to make you happy....don't take into account what we mutt heads on the board say.........Either way......buy a welder would you!!

My 2c is all spent!!

Tim

As a guy who can say "I had the same challenges for my swap"... my Z31 tranny "almost bolted in"..

My turbo interfered with the frame and the steering shaft. and I had to watch where my oil pan ended up...

I would have personally left all the equipment on the engine and dropped it in for a "look".... and see how well you can get it to fit with "Zero" mods....

This can tell you what is going to hit where....and while you are "working outside the box", also consider that the driveline is not a heavy... maybe moving it forward..or up..or tilting slightly may help...You can do this to possibly avoid or reduce complications...

I can tell you that any swap other than a tried and proven swap like a chevy V8 is going to be drastically more difficult as you will have to "invent the wheel" so to speak.... and most certainly is NOT a budget build up... If you think you can't afford all the little details at this stage (trial fitting of the engine) then maybe you should consider this swap more carefully before you get in to deep.... I would hate to see you get frustrated and/or run out of funds and end up losing interest and selling off your work for peanuts.

I know my swap ended up costing me (turn key) slightly more than double what I had thoroughly researched with my mechanic...

HUGE PITA! took way longer, and I coulda had a 900hp 6spd V8 for the same/less money....I would NOT do my swap again... but I still love it...its a big enough PITA for me to be one of only a few VG30ET swaps around for quite a while to come...

I love the GEE WHIZ factor...can you afford a swap for GEE WHIZZ factor?

Sorry to sound like a kill joy...just being honest...I'd rather you be happy with a running Z as opposed to hating them and having one still on jackstands years later....

Good luck if ya keep up with it...Give me a PM if ya need some ideas/advice...

AUX,

I partially agree with the post that said "buy a cheap welder at sears and tack things together" DO NOT buy a cheap welder as it is a waste of money. However, if you did spend the $800.00 on a good one tacking it together yourself is a good idea. You would have a lot more luck getting someone who is a good welder to come by and do the final seams if you already had the tools you needed (Miller or Hobart welder) and of course beer never hurt. If I were closer I would jump in.

Rufus

BTW I think you should not abandon this idea as of yet. It is too cool. Yes expensive, difficult, and labor intensive but very unique and interesting.

Alex,

I was thinking about mounts after leaving your place on the way to Ernie's(racer-x) house. If you or Rob could make a sketch of the RX-7 mounts(the plate only where it bolts to the block)or send them to me, I could draw what I have in mind. I would rather you go to a single turbo if possible rather than notch your frame rail. If you really want to keep the 2 turbos, we could tow it to my shop and we could cut into the frame rails and TIG weld reinforcement into the notched frame. If you are dead set on this and are willing to spend some extra bucks, It will go in.

Mike D.

mike, at that point it's better to go single turbo. I'd have to get an exhaust manifold made that would go forward of the motor, so the turbo would sit in front. I may bug you in a day or two, if you can swing by after work so we can take alook at the motor. Just let me know if it's not convenient for you

Aux/Alex, I've had two 13b rotary vehicles, a stock pickup and an AH Sprite. Both of them died on me, so I'm collecting Chevy pieces for my Z.

If you go ahead with the rotary, do consider getting a good wire welder. (For accounting purposes, it isn't part of this project's cost, but a tool whose cost may be amortized over your entire lifetime). Live long, and weld a lot! :cheers:

What A.G. said. Also, Search Yahoo Yellow pages for The Zdr. in Roanoke, Virginia... Give him a call and ask how he did his... 'Course, they did do a SINGLE turbo2 motor and not a dual, but still...

I'd go Chevy! Punch out Maverick!

Mike :D