HybridZ

Best car you've seen under $3K

baddriver

Well, I think we already have a what's your favorite car post, but most of those are well out of my reach financially. However, I've recently test drivin an AWD turbo eclipse that was lots of fun, and going for less than $2k. That got me thinking, are there other super-fun, fast cars out there for this kind of money? The sort of thing you could pick up on a whim and play with, drive to work and not worry about someone smashing into it in the lot (Sorry Mike!)

So here's the rules. Post a car you've actually seen for sale for less than 3K, thats fast, fun, and wasn't priced that low as a result of a fire, crash or divorce. Something modern and in good, drive it for a couple of years condition.

Of course, I already mentioned the Eclipse/talon/laser, and the Z's go without saying. Have fun!

Jeff E.

Guest bastaad525

yeah except for you really can't pick up a Z for less than $2k that will be fast :-P but fun is a given. I recently saw one of the most unique, out there cars for sale and I believe it went for less than $3k. It was a Ford Fiesta (or was it Festiva?? Ford made both right? It was one of the older, square boxy ones)... you're laughing and or scoffing, but it get's better. This guy had removed the stock drivetrain of the car, stuck on a sick, totally custom, wide fendered body kit, and stuck a V-6 motor in the rear (I think it was a chevy V6 out of the most recent camaro) mounted transversely like a front wheel drive engine, totally beefed up suspension, claimed the engine put down like 300+hp, in a sub 2000lb car. And with the body kit it was actually pretty cool looking. I can only imagine how much money this guy had in the car but it went on ebay for soooo so cheap. I wanted that car bad :(

I've also seen a Chevy Sprint Turbo that was way fixed up, rebuilt motor, bigger turbo, running like 15psi, had an FMIC... total shoebox car, very discreet looking except for blingy wheels, yet it was very clean inside and out. the guy claimed it would run low 12's on street tires, I think it sold for like $2500.

I like this topic and hope lots of people will add to it... gonna be looking for car for my g/f soon, and I want to get her something fun and quick, and looking at spending around that much. Then I'd like to get a second, daily driver car for myself, fitting that same description... where's that Fiesta when I need it??

Guest bastaad525

I've heard of that one too, but I got the impression from this guys auction description that this is something he had built....

does my description match the Shogun? Engine in the rear and such? How much does that car go for? I know this guy sold it CHEAP.

Guest bastaad525

And I'm almost POSITIVE that this was a Fiesta... didn't ford used to make a little econobox called the Fiesta? And given the rarity of the Shogun, I can't see how this guy was selling his so cheap on ebay...

Ok.. early to mid 90's Suzuki Swift GT(i?). (also known as Geo metro, Chev sprint, but the Suzuki was the only one that offered the 'gt' and 16V engine) They are a little 2 door with a 16V DOHC 4 cly/5 speed. Factory 'ground effects' kit, not bad looking little things.. Saw one for $2000, needed front brakes. (very cheap for these cars) I have driven one, and they arn't the fastest things.. but are suprisingly quick. Quite light and very rev happy engines. read; Fun and cheep

Hmmm.. if you are in the states, look for a pre 86 200sx (Yah, Nissan! :) )with the V6. Rear drive 2 door hatch back (2+2 actually.. althought eh back seat is a little tight.. ) Its the same as the 300zx 3.0L from those years, but not as pricy as the 300's. I bought my 85 for $500. Its sort of a poor mans Z, but they are awsome cars, and they dont rust as bad a s the 300zx's for some reason.. (?)

Oh yes... can't forget the 80's-90's Fox body 'Rust'ang!! Bang for the buck folks.. they are all over the place, and can be had cheep. They rust as any ford, ride rough, and twist a bit.. but wow moma.. they go like stink. Even the beat up $600 rust buckets will smoke the tires, blow a doughnut, hop over the curb and go like a raped ape. And there are LOTS of 4 cyl's out there with good doors, glass, ect (the 2.3 4 cyl sucks, and usually gets killed befor the rest of the car..) for those parking lot dings/mishaps.

A friend of mine had a 200SX Turbo. What a pile. Car smoked CONSTANTLY. He never got to drive it for more than a month at a time, then it was time to replace the turbo or whatever went wrong that time. I seem to remember him going thru 3 turbos in 2 years, and also had to rebuild his engine because of his Centerforce dual friction clutch. Apparently the thrust washers in that engine were pretty puny, and using that clutch took them out pretty quickly.

I never paid too much attention to that car so maybe I only heard about when it was having problems, which was pretty much a constant, but it really seemed like a POS to me. Could just have been HIS car, and not indicative of the breed.

How about a Sentra SE-R for cheap fun?

Jon

In defence of the 80's 200sx, I would say it was HIS car, and probly not all the 200's. My car was amazing for the $500 I paid, and I got over 2 years out of it with NO maininence! (I think I changed brakes once, and tires twice..) As for the smoking, it was probly abused (being a turbo heh heh..) and if it was not fixed/looked after, it would keep having problems.. And a Sentra se-r under $3K?!? I dono..

Guest brianglawson

My Favorite would me a B13 Sentra Se-R, semi rough for 800-1200 and then a sr20det(FWD of course) swap for 1800, about 3k right there for an ultra fun car, but if swaps are out then i would have to go for a Mazda Rx-7 Turbo II

My Neighbor has a 200sx turbo, it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor, its amazing looking. He drives it everyday.

If you go to the auction with more than 1200, youve outclassed half the bidders in San Francisco.

Heres a list( about 1/4 of total auction bought cars, cant remember all of them its a lot) of the wacky cars weve (friends and I)picked up there for like nothing.

Turbo 2 rx7 with jspec tt engine, probably 2rotor cosmo when I think about it, motor and trans mounts not even tightened down all the way and and tons of vacum lines loose, but started up and drove, fixed it changed the oil turned up the boost until factory guage would pin past like 30psi(was wrong) and street raced and drifted it, probably 12 second car-900

Mk3 supra with lexus afm, big injectors, and a blown headgasket. Fixed the headgasked and got a junkyard turbo. Cost 300

1989 Acura Legend with pearl paint, five speed v6 all options, body kit, and a frozen throwout bearing and dangerously low cut springs-900

1982 280zx quarter panel damage, five speed and was fun as hell to powershift and thats it, jumped the crap out of it on San Franciscos steepest hill and rally raced it at the dump-400

1989 240sx coupe, straight and ran good 750

1988 honda accord, ran good, had to replace a control arm-500

Starions, weve had a few, turbo cars dont get bid on because most of the time they are there, its headgasket or turbo or engine failure, and its a chance some people dont take.

To this list I have to add a ton of nice pickup trucks, import and domestic that go in both sides of this list.

The cars ive seen go for under 2000:

mustang 5.0s all years

irocs all years

Grand National, interior stripped and sitting on spares-1600

1995 saab 9000 turbo, mint looking-1500

1978 280z that looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor, I could have bought but I made a rookie move and started it on the auction floor-1200, sucker cranked over with about .00001 turn of the key after 90 days of sitting there!!!

1991 Honda Civic with a B16a motor swap and roll cage-2200 (ok its close)

1990 240sx with redtop sr20det engine 2500 (so close as well)

Police car crown vics and caprices (these are after they get took from the gangsters, and they go for under 2k and sometimes under 1k all the time)

The list goes on and on for what ive seen come and go from the auction. Every wednesday I wake up early, even if I dont have any money, to go roll with my buddies and see what the game is like. Sometimes we go just to learn more about the hustle, studying the moves of the people who have been doing it for decades, the bodymen who buy the ones with damage, fix em and sell them, the mechanics who come on their days off to find a car for whatever reason, people who go to make some cash, guys who own small car lots and look for cars to fix up and sell, and others looking to buy a car who couldnt afford the one they want through private party, and a million more types, its freakin beautiful to me.. There have been times we have bought cars just for the rims, trade them in the parking lot, and sell the car to a friend for what we bought it for. No matter what its a good excuse to wake up early and have a nice productive day. We know the locals and they dont bid against us, usually its the rookies that skybid on us and kill it, We also wont bid against the people trying to buy their car back instead of paying tow fees. If youre looking to get a cool car for 2000, the auction is a great place to find one, if youre willing to take that chance and are somewht mechanically inclined. If 2000 is total max budget, I would go for a car for substantially less to save the rest for fixing it. Its fun and if I could buy a car a week, I would.

There is an se-r near my house now for $1400. I would love to pick it up. I had a 91 NX, which was a sportier model with t-tops. It was fun and i traded it for my Z. I had a lot of suspension done. A friend of mine had a 93 SE-R with almost all the bolt on's and ran a 14.3 with full interior and crappy balding tire. They can be very quick with a turbo, which you can pick up a jdm kit off a sr20det for under a grand. If i didnt have my Z i would be driving them. The SR20 is the most overbuilt 4 cylinder of its time. The Pulsar GTI-R was an incredible sporty hatch with the sr20det that had individual throttle bodies and could put out over 400hp withought anything else but some bolt on goodies and a better headgasket. But only advailable outside the US. :cry:

Just picked up a 90' 300zx for $500, hit in the back. Mazda 323's are pretty fun cars and GTX's are really fun, picked one up for $275 at an auction once with 80,000miles. Saab turbo's are pretty nice and last for ever. And I would have to say old maxima's go pretty good with a five speed and a v6. And of course any z car.

Here in europe you get different flavours. How about:

2850 euro's --> 94' Alfa Romeo 164 3liter V6 24Valve big and beautifull italian sedan

3000 euro's --> 84'Maserati Bi Turbo. runs great, good interior, body needs some work

1200 euro's --> 93'fiat uno 1.4 turbo. very small very light and it just feels mental to drive

3500 euro's --> (I know its to expensive, but...) Jaguar XJS 12 cylinder very good engine exterior needs some work, grey leather interior.

2750 euro's --> Lancia Delta HF Intergrale 4x4 This must be the car that subaru was thinking about when they were building the impreza turbo

1500 euro's --> Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI small light and you can really thow this car around

1250 euro's --> renault 5 GT-turbo also small and light. but very fun

Hmmm.... I'm always complaining that in the states cars and parts are a lot cheaper. Maybe I'm half right. Parts here are still expensive.

Had a maserati bi-turbo come in a couple times, didnt sell when i was there.

renault r5-never

most of the european cars that are older get avoided like the plague, the hot cars are domestic and japanese.

So far, about 40 cars have come and gone out of my life in the past four years, and for some reason only 7-8 zcars?