HybridZ

Does anyone know anything about dogs???

utvolman99

Okay guys, my dog was killed a couple of months ago. A few weeks ago, I was at the dump and there was this cool looking dog there. The guy running the dumping station told me that he saw some people drop her off in front of the animal shelter (which is located next to the dumping station). He said that people do that a lot to keep from having to pay a donation to drop off their dog! :roll: Anyway, I ended up taking her.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what kind of dog she might be? below, I have linked a couple of pics. Some additionial informationt that you may not be able to tell from the pics is...

- She is more red than brown (she looks brown in the pics)

- She weighs in at about 55lbs

- She has one blue eye and one yellow eye (both look odd)

- She has a mane! It wraps around her head and forms a diamond over her shoulder blades and then visibly continues down her back to the base of her tail

- She has an amazingly thick under coat!

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38/zimmerba/Bailey/IMG_6645.jpg

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38/zimmerba/Bailey/IMG_6648.jpg

Mutt :D

If you are planning on taking her to a vet for an initial once over' date=' hopefully he/she will have an idea.

Nice looking dog.[/quote']

Well, I did take her to the vet the day after I got her. She said that she thought that she was a border collie mix. When I took her for her second shots the other vet said that there was no way she was a BC and he thought she was an Husky mix. Both admited that they didnt really know that much about unusual breeds since they are located at an "all animals" type vet and really deal more with farm animals than dogs. I live in a small town! :roll: I have been told that she looks like a Red heeler AKA Austrailian Cattle dog. I called a cattle dog rescue and they said that there wasn't much of a chance that I would find one abandoned in Middle TN.

I would think Husky mix because of the blue eye. I know Huskies have blue eyes but don't know if other breed had the Blue eyes. I have an uncle with a Husky and it has one blue eye and one yellow eye. The shape of that dog looks like a husky but not the color.

Just a thought.

Mutts are the best kind!

Incidently, I ran across what must have been the same breed (except it might have been pure) out hiking one day with no one else around for miles. The dog was awesome, and let me tell you could it find squirrels in a heartbeat! It was a great, lively, friendly dog however I would say that they are prone to wandering... because I have no idea where this dog came from, or went to. After hanging around with me for a couple of hours it just took off.

Way too big to be a heeler. She looks like a real sweetty. Just love her and care for her and she'll be a good dog. You may never find out what breed she is but anyone who rescues an abandoned pup is a purebred in my eyes. :2thumbs:

Well, she is kind of heavy but Im really not sure how much she weighs. When I first took her to the vet she was at 35lbs. The other day I weighed her on the scale with me and she was 55lbs!! Im not sure how accurate the scale is at that point though since that is right at 300lbs on a 300lbs scale.

Also, I was told that because her other eye is a light gold color that she could have some wolf/wild dog in her. Apparently most domesticated dogs have brown eyes.

Tim,

She definitely has the Heeler look. Our dog is a cross between a Blue Heeler and an Australian Sheppard. He doesn't have the off colored eyes of the Ausy but his shape looks exactly like your dog. He is roughly the same size also so my guess is she's a Red Heeler mix of some kind.

The Heeler breeds are very good dogs, highly intelligent and very loyal but can be a little territorial so be careful with other dogs and guests at your home until you determine her disposition.

Ken W.

Tim' date='

She definitely has the Heeler look. Our dog is a cross between a Blue Heeler and an Australian Sheppard. He doesn't have the off colored eyes of the Ausy but his shape looks exactly like your dog. He is roughly the same size also so my guess is she's a Red Heeler mix of some kind.

The Heeler breeds are very good dogs, highly intelligent and very loyal but can be a little territorial so be careful with other dogs and guests at your home until you determine her disposition.

Ken W.[/quote']

I am not really that worried about her around other people but I will watch her. when I first got her she was VERY submisive to the point of peeing a little when you would walk up to her. the only people she has been around have been my girlfriend and when I went home for christmas she was around my whole family but it was in their house. The other day I ordered pizza and when the woman got out of the car Bailey (the dog) walked up between us and started growling. I just told her it was okay and she started wagging her tail. She also loves other dogs but would absolutely love to eat a cat or other small animal.

Her behavior is just like our dog "Henry". We have to keep a close eye on him whenever someone he doesn't know comes to visit. Once he knows that they're accepted by us he settles down. Normally he won't growl but he inserts himself between us and is very alert to any moves the "stranger" makes towards one of us and will react by grabbing their arm. He doesn't bite, but grabs and tries to pull the other person to a safe distance. This can be very disconcerting to a stranger who has no idea what he's doing, so we keep him under tight control. We're trying to break him of this behavior but we got him when he was about 3 so it's been tough. Bad habits are hard to break.

Female dogs will do the "PEE" thing when put into a stressful situation, it's a natural reaction for all female dogs, so thats not unusual. It's their way of showing their submission to the "Pack" leader.

Ken W.