HybridZ

Muffler of choice?

Guest kurt8394

Guest kurt8394

Hey everyone my exhaust system finally just gave out from sitting in a garage 4ever so i'm in the market for a new system. I was thinking about just getting a 2.5 mandrel pipe bent and buying a muffler. my question is what do you guys think is the best sounding/performance muffler out there i was looking at a maganaflow but can't make up my mind i don't wanna get something thats gonna be overwhelming loudness LOL...any help would be great

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

My superflow or whatever the heck it is sounded awesome on my engine ('81 280 carbed). I might even be able to get you a sound clip.

I'd highly recommend against 2.5" exhaust unless you are doing some serious mods to the engine, otherwise you are likely to end up with the dreaded exhaust fumes entering your car due to lack of exhaust velocity as it exits the car.

When you find the sound you like see if you can get your parts in stainless. It may require deep pockets now, but it should pay off in the long run. I have had three motors but one set of pipes and cans for the past 18 years. The headers are recycled from previous home built ones.

Hint: It helps if you live near a food/juice/milk plant. They leave the old stuff lying around.

Guest goldraven

dont stand right next to the muffler...get back like 20 feet. try recording one from in the car...and one from where you would be if it drove past you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used a magna flow on my z with 2.5 tubing. The muffler I used is a dual in and dual out that has a x pipe built into the muffler. I mounted it in the drive shaft tunnel it is tucked in there nicely and doesn't hang down so that i scrapes everthing. It has a nice deep throaty sound, but not any resonance you get with flowmaster. Check out the magnaflow web site and you will see the two size mufflers of that two in two out style, they also have sound bites.

I love the Magnaflows. We have them on the Cobra and they're awesome. The size and shape of the muffler itself will dictate the sound and loudness out of the tail-pipe. If you're looking to quiet the system down and cut down on resonance, then you may want to either put a resonator in there, or get a longer muffler.

Personally, I just like them, because they flow so well. Lots of horsepower and a good sound when sized right.

• 3 months later...

Bullet mufflers make a V8 sound like a pickup truck. Personally I like a true dual X pipe with Borla XR-1 mufflers. Sounds mean. But kills alot of the rasp. There is a WMV file of one from Hawaii over on LS1Tech.com. I'll try to post the link tonight.

Dale

I'm installing a true 'X' pipe with dual 2 1/2" to the back into a single Magnaflow SS muffler (5x8) that has dual 2 1/2" in and single 3" out.

That goes in next Tuesday, June 22nd, so I should have an idea by this time next week what the sound is like. Savage 42 heard an sbc Z set up similarly to this with dual 2" into a 2 1/2" out and thought it sounded really nice. We'll see. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest SmogSUX

Borla sounds niice, but I wonder how it would sound on a 6 cyl :P

I'm trying to find out what to do with the exhaust system on a 72 240z cuz theres a leak! I wanna put a whole new system in w/o the cat.

Im running the world cheapest system right now. :oops: Stock 2" pipe into a 'cherry bomb' (glasspack) in the trans tunnel, and out through a 2" to a dual tip (which is suposed to have glass packs in the tips.. but I doubt there's anything left in em') Car is a 75 280 with su's. It's a bit loud, but I like it that way. :twisted: Has a nice burble at idle, and a good throaty/raspy sound as I wind it up past 4500 at full throttle. Pops and farts when I use the engine to maintain speed down hill... Close to a 'euro' sound I supose.. meh.. works for me (for now) but I'm planing on extending the two pipes out of the manifold a few inches, into a 2.25 or 2.5 pipe, then into a flowmaster 50 series out back... eventually. Just dont have the cash right now to get a system bent up.