HybridZ

Ultimate Street Car Challenge

Guest ON3GO

Just got the magazine (SCC) where they show the winner and well.. its a Z!!!!!

a 350Z but hey its one of us.

very good magazine issue and was good reading.

im glad our cars name lives on (and lives good to :))

mike

the viper owner is a ass though. he was bitching on a viper forum saying how its rigged and etc, and calling all the cars crappy besides his.

its a STREET CAR test, so it should do all things great that a street car can do.

in cali emissions is a big deal, so whats the point of building it if you cant drive it.

mike

Just got the magazine (SCC) where they show the winner and well.. its a Z!!!!!

a 350Z but hey its one of us.

very good magazine issue and was good reading.

im glad our cars name lives on (and lives good to :))

mike

I wish the DSM's or the Skyline didnt break. That Z had no chance in hell otherwise. I liked the Z, but ULTIMATE STREET CAR it is not.

I agree. James Chen owner of the 350Z AND Axxis wheels has deep pockets and I feel that the Ultimate Street Car Challenge should be about the backyard, shady tree enthusiasts along the lines of the Grassroots Motorsports $2003 challenge. James even said that if he did not win this year he was going to enter his $400,000 Supercharged Bently next year. I think its cool to see a high end car and something new being thrashed around the track but to me the real praise go to the DIY guys you know the "I've got a mortgage and groceries to buy" kind of guys.

I guess I consider myself this type of enthusiast, a hands on, build it on a budget type. Heck that 350Z is proabbly a tax right off for James!!

Anyway, I would have loved to see Troy Tuleo's MR2 come in the top three and not suffer a head gasket failure, they pulled it to 9,800rpm on the dyno and Troy says he has pulled the car to 11,000 before!!!

The cars this year were pretty good, but only the MR2 really stood out for me. I have bought the videos for the previous two years but I am unsure if to buy this year's video. With the Skyline also DNF that kinda sucks. This years cars to me were the same old same old Supra TTs, A scarry Viper, a few steroidal DSMs etc etc.

I loved last year with the 13B Turbo 510 and the previous year with Tod Kaneko's 13B Turbo 510 as well. I would love to see a 240Z-280ZX or even a Z31 Turbo, and some other old skool cars (older SuprasCelicas, Gen1 RX7, SR20 S13s etc etc)

Oh well, sorry for the rant and rave.

Yasin

i agree on it really shouldnt have won but it was pretty damn fast on the road course and it did do everything well.

others didnt, they either came 1st or last, the Z was always 1st or 2nd.. which is what a great street car should do.

dont get me wrong i rather have the viper, supras, and dsm,s and skyline over it but it pulled it off.

plus yes i agree that the owner of the Z has deep pockets and etc but he really didnt enter anything "great".. its a 350Z with a supercharger and paint and interior work. all those parts he used are off the shelf parts.

that MR2 was badass!!! and i liked the dsm's alot!

mike

It is pretty crazy that a skyline has never won. Even though this time it was 100 pts in the lead when it went kaboom! In the end I think Chen just played the game well. He launched it easy in the 1/4, burned up the tires when he could and paid 2 other drivers for different parts of the contest. Definitely not the way I would have done it but . . .hehe I'd have busted my car up in no time!

Well I've got some serious mis-givings about the way they score in that test... The judges in the car show gave major points for "Bling" and detracted scores for "Just another race car on the street" :?: WTF is up with THAT? The Ultima AND the VIPER were both hands down animals... I don't want or NEED DVD, PS2 and all that other "STUFF" in my CAR... That is why I have a HOME... I think they are getting away from the drivers passion perspective WAY to much.

And Mr. Chen, Well I don't want to sound like sour grapes, but last year he bitched and moaned about his little MR2 problems, and the SCC staff HELPED him out and loaned him parts and he STILL didn't win... Year before, He enters a Ferrari. The guy BUYS his way in, and won't even drive his own car, which SHOULD BE part of the criteria... If you can't DRIVE your car down the 1/4 and around a road course competitively, then get the hell out of performance street cars, and go all show... Pathetic. :roll:

Not taking anything away from the 350Z, as it was a nice ride, but my money is on the fact that Chen doesn't even know the right end of a screw driver. He buys a clean slate to build from (Nice, if you have the money) and starts ringing contacts on the phone... Then the car is delivered to each shop doing the custom work, and presented to him when complete... The guy doesn't build his own cars... Atleast that is the word I got.

The fuel Mileage test and emissions test I can live with. The (VERY) subjective car show and granny ride are a JOKE. I'll give the tech geeks props for being bruitally honest in their scoring, as I really think they are fair.

Nope, SCC tailors much of what they review and what they write up (And their tests) to the Mid-teen to late 20-something crowd becasue that is where the business is...

I see it every day with the kids that come to my home, and in my own kids... They are all into the bling, and not the zing... They want momo this and sparco that, and they don't care about function, only about how it "Looks". If it looks "Tight" then it is in. If it works well and performs a necessary function, but isn't "Tight" then it goes... THAT is the mentality that SCC is tailoring to. :roll:

Mr. Mumford (Last years winner in a Viper) will forever embody what the Ultimate street car winner should be... His memory lives... and he is missed.

The only magazine that has done a good job of doing an unbiased and fair test has been car craft. I've bought ONE ISSUE of car craft EVERY YEAR for as long as the RSE contest has been held. Real Street is just that... They have the mold all others should be judged by.

Mike 8)

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Umm... what Mike said. :D

Zing = Thing - Bling

Too much emphasis on looks and not enough on true performance. I think the fuel efficiency is good, but more so based on the fact that it is a measure of the engines efficiency in producing power.

Throwing in the granny test just makes it sound even more like they are trying to taylor their results to the target crowd. You've got your young guys, and your old ladies who have a bunch of $$ cuz her old man just died.

I realized today just how much looks are taking over. My GF and I were looking at baby car seats and there was one seat that looked exactly like a corbeau seat turned into a baby seat. :lol:

My wife and I were discussing this last night. We were watching that street racer's show on Discovery Channel. They had about 30 hours left to complete the engine swap they were working on, and the car owner and the "tuner" that was working on the car got into and argument over the decals to apply to the car. :roll:

well mike im with you a 100%..

but the car show i can see is ok, being as its nice to have it all, nice interior, tunes, style, speed, etc.

the 4 S's people.. Speed, Sound, Suspension, and Style.

thats what people live for these days..

and also as much as i wanna say im with you on that they should drive there own car, it wouldnt be fair ... because just because you cant drive as well as another doesnt mean his car is any better then yours.

they should have a Pro driver drive all of them.

i think the skyline or MR2 should have won..

mike

I see both sides as far as drivers go. I mean, one driver to rule all the cars would make the most sence in being fair. But Mike's right, if you can't drive your car well, why have it? Just to say, my car is the ultimate? What good is that if you say it and some boob in a Trooper out runs you across the intersection cause you stall your hot rod?

They get to make the rules since they have the mag.

Guest bastaad525
I agree. James Chen owner of the 350Z AND Axxis wheels has deep pockets and I feel that the Ultimate Street Car Challenge should be about the backyard' date=' shady tree enthusiasts along the lines of the Grassroots Motorsports $2003 challenge. James even said that if he did not win this year he was going to enter his $400,000 Supercharged Bently next year. I think its cool to see a high end car and something new being thrashed around the track but to me the real praise go to the DIY guys you know the "I've got a mortgage and groceries to buy" kind of guys.

Yasin[/quote']

Agree 100%!!! most of those cars are NOT street cars!!! Buncha damned show cars and drag racers... They should be showing cars built by average joes with average jobs and salaries to show that, hey, this is what can be done by you and me, real STREET cars. There were two cars in the USCC this year that I felt were the real deal though, the green supra which was mostly stock, and the black 1st gen eclipse. I think those cars were really true 'street cars' that are the kinda stuff guys like us would build.

green supra was stock with bolt ons.. anybody can build that... i cant see how its the ultimate street car.. it did post up great numbers for what it was though..

now that MR2 and Ultima were built by there owners and both did great jobs. that mr2 just blows me away each time i read up about it.

i like the USCC but i rather be in and like WAY better Grassroots motorsports challenges... build a badass car for no more then 2000 or so bucks.. now that shows who is the real tuners and car guys..

mike

Guest bastaad525

I gotta subscribe to GRM and dammit I also keep forgetting to subscribe to Sport Z..... always when I get reminded by some post on the boards here is when I dont have any damn $$$!!