HybridZ

I have an Idea

Georgia Flash

What if we started having a weekend "Z car raising?" You know like in the old days when people would come together and have a good ole fashioned barn raising.

Say for instance a person has his 350 on a stand, a transmission and everything he needs to get his project done but is missing one key ingriedient, experiance and helpers. I would love to learn from first hand from folks who have done this swap. The JTR book just isn't that useful to me right now.

We could gather early on a Saturday morning and help the person get his project running. We could bring the wives and or girl friends so they could entertain one another while we work on the car. We could grill out steaks and have beer on ice.

If we could get 5-8 guys together working on a Z we could eliminate the jack stand racing club all together one by one! Sorry guys :D Not to mention we would all get to know one another a lot better and become a real community instead of just an internet group.

What do you guys think about this idea?

good idea...

but hey i might be a member of JSR but in my heart and mind i really dont wanna be hehe.

would this only be for hybridz'ers with 350's or no?

even so i would love to work on some V8's..

mike

Sounds like fun, but the geographical expanse may be problematic?

From my standpoint, I am the kind of person who wants to do everything myself. Just like I wouldn't want anyone working on my wife, I don't want any strange men working on my car :D

A bunch of local guys and I have done that a few times, swapping suspension goes from a half day affair to an hour. Motor swaps are much the same, one guy labels the harnesses, another pulls the hood, sombody unbolts the tranny and the things pops out. Then sombody transfers the harness, sombody powerwashes the engine bay, sombody else does the clutch and its all back in and running in a few hours.

This may be a dumb question but where did you find that link? But anyway, it looks like it doesn't work for my idea because unless I looked at it all wrong it says that the most ever on line was 5 and that was in March 03 :(

I am the kind of person who wants to do everything myself. Just like I wouldn't want anyone working on my wife, I don't want any strange men working on my car

Yes I too like to work on the Z myself but I am tired of just having a V-8 Zcar dream and not the reality if you know what I mean. I know that unless I have someone with some experience helping me when the time comes to put the engine in and wiring it up I will bungle the job.

As far as the wife thing goes, she is my only helper right now so I appreciate her very much :D I do not mind another man touching my car but ya toucha my wife and cut ya fingers off :twisted:

Hey Georgia Flash 75V8 - I'm not that far away from you.

There is another member in Smyrna that is about to put a turbo L6 in his 240 that I met in Dec. - 240hybrid, here's his website:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/449966

He rewired his with a whole 280ZX harness...

I pretty much like to do things myself, but am always willing to help someone else...

georgia flash i'm right here in austell. i've done a couple of honda swaps, hence the user name. but now i'm looking to step up to the big toys. i'm looking to learn all i can to make my swap as smooth as possible. plus it would be cool to find some other ga. z guys to hang out with.so if ya need some help let me know.

Austell, man I will be heading off to the academy in Austell or is it in Powder Springs in about 10 minutes. I was there yesterday and will be there tomorrow as well.

Here's what I am thinking about doing. My main MAJOR hang up on this swap thing appears to be electrical. Hence I have not a clue as to what to chop from my Z and what to keep. I know the fuel injection stuff goes but beyond that I am scared as hell when it comes to wiring the rest of it up. So what I am planning on doing is getting my 350 rebuilt and ready to go in the car along with a 700R4 tranny that I haven't purchased yet. Oh and do not forget about the drive shaft.

Then I would love to have someone come up and help me wire up the engine. I spoke to Georgia Z (Daryl) and went to look at his V-8 Z once in Douglasville. He may be a candidate for some much needed help when the time comes.

I just thought it would be kinda neat to go and help someone with their swap and be able to learn from the masters.

Pete, Scotty, Dan, Racer X uhhh could you please come down to GA :D:hail: Wait isn't Mike kz in GA??

LOL we could have our on Monster Garage show.

I'm actually gonna do a swap for one of our more financially secure members who rarely posts on the site. Jim asked me if I would swap oh just about everything Ross offers into his Scarab, and convert the Scarab to JTR, and I of course said yes... Pushing my project to the sidelines while I do his... Doug Carrow and I will look to start on it in the next 30-45 days, dependant on parts arrival.

I think this would be good if all parties know the parameters up front. Some of our members have more resources than others...

I'd be more than willing to host something at my shop, using my car when it is closer to being completed...

It is a GREAT learning experience!

Mike

Thanks Mike and others. When it gets a little warmer I plan on getting serious with the project again. I can't stand the cold weather! I will attempt to get the engine, transmission and other things in the car by myself and leave the wiring to someone who's done this before and is very sure that they know what they are doing. I will be there to of course and be able to learn in the process. :D