HybridZ

questions for the turbo people

280z-racer

ok im about to embark on my turbo swap. 81 l28et into 76 280 w/ 4-speed

1. i have t3 turbo and a t3/t4. i have stock turbo and na injectors and 440cc injectors. should i first put motor together stock and tune or start right away with big turbo and injectors??

2. can i use stock turbo injectors, stock turbo and turbo fuel pump on 76 electronics just to make sure that my engine will run before i wire in the 81 electronics?? (im not talking major boost or hard driving, just enough to turn over engine and get it to my dads smog shop)

ok im about to embark on my turbo swap. 81 l28et into 76 280 w/ 4-speed

1. i have t3 turbo and a t3/t4. i have stock turbo and na injectors and 440cc injectors. should i first put motor together stock and tune or start right away with big turbo and injectors??)

always start stock' date=' the biggest mistake you can make is to start modifying something before you get it all straight. start stock, then mod, that way when something goes wrong, you have a better idea what it might be.

2. can i use stock turbo injectors, stock turbo and turbo fuel pump on 76 electronics just to make sure that my engine will run before i wire in the 81 electronics?? (im not talking major boost or hard driving, just enough to turn over engine and get it to my dads smog shop)

yes, it will all work just fine. the early NA computer will trigger the Turbo injectors...it may run a tad rich though. If you have all the 81 electronics already, I would seriously recomend that you go ahead and do the job right the first time..no sense in doing the work twice.

Along those same lines of thinking, don't bother with the stock turbo. Install the hybrid right off - there is nothing magical about a hybrid turbo, just runs cooler intake air is all - with a stock wastegate it'll run just fine. Turbos can be a PITA to remove with the engine in the car.

I would definitely not put on the stock turbo first. As others said, it does not affect the tunning or running in any way (except for better breathing on top and better performance at high boost). Just keep the boost at stock, until all is running well.

Years ago I did a 280zxt swap into a 280Z. At first i used the sock 280Z injection system (all but the fuel pump) and to my surprize, the car ran pretty decent. I then swapped to the 280ZXT injectors, but the car ran too rich. So I went back to stock injectors and car ran well again.

Obviously, I did not push the car too much with the 280Z FI and avoided sustained boost and high RPMs (however, the car never detonated, even when pushed a little).

I then switched to the full 280zxt FI system and turned up the boost like any good little addict.

I would definitely not put on the stock turbo first. As others said' date=' it does not affect the tunning or running in any way (except for better breathing on top and better performance at high boost). Just keep the boost at stock, until all is running well.

Years ago I did a 280zxt swap into a 280Z. At first i used the sock 280Z injection system (all but the fuel pump) and to my surprize, the car ran pretty decent. I then swapped to the 280ZXT injectors, but the car ran too rich. So I went back to stock injectors and car ran well again.

Obviously, I did not push the car too much with the 280Z FI and avoided sustained boost and high RPMs (however, the car never detonated, even when pushed a little).

I then switched to the full 280zxt FI system and turned up the boost like any good little addict.[/quote']

ditch the stock turbo ASAP since you have that option, and wire the rest up stock, modify once you have it running well.