HybridZ

Chevy 4.3L Vortec

allenrayn

Ive been thinking about how nice a GM 3.8 would be. I just got a Pontiac Transport minivan a few weeks ago. The engine has balls, even for that big minivan with people in it. V6, 3.8, coil packs, i have high expectations of this engine if it were to be put in a light Z car!

Thats a great idea i have actually thought of for a while, a vortec 4.3l puts out alot of power and you can put a 3.8l bonniville supercharger on it with a little modification, my mom has a 3.8l ssei bonniville and its a boat but it hauls, i mean kicks you back in the seat halls, they claimed 240hp but with a little head work and supercharger work those engines get to 320 hp no prob. I have heard of a 4.3l with the 3.8l blower and they said the chevy s-10 had 333 hp to the ground. the best part about that blower is its incredible cheap, and readily avalible. I think the 4.3l vortec has 260 hp stock.

just my thoughs

Chad

If the seach function was working you could find some info on this but not too much. I know someone has done the 4.3L swap. I cant remeber if I saw it on here or on ebay though? It was an extremly clean swap and it set the engine back pretty far which is good for weight distribution. I also agree that the 4.3L with a supercharger would a hell of a swap! I even thought about it myself!

Guy

I saw Mitsubishi Colt drive to Orlando Speed World with a pair of slicks and a streetable 4.3 Chevy power plant with a simple single turbo blowing through a Holley 600 and a 350 automatic transmision and posting low 10 seconds ET's all night long. The driver indicated he was running 8-10 LBS. of boost depending on track conditions and that his best ET so far was 10.1. It is certanly a set up that could work reliably. Of course a Colt is very light and it has a full leaf spring rear end but I think there is potential for a light Z.

Guest 4.3L 280z

I did a search on this a while back and if I remember right all the jtr stuff is used and all you need is settback plates. Someone on here had some and he did a v8 conversion and gave them away. I decided I wanted to sc my L28 but after I got my car finished my oil pump went out of was clogged and my cam locked up. Now I'm doing a v8 or possibly a 4.3 conversion.

Guest Surreal Reality

Does anyone know where I can find more info on putting the 3.8l supercharger (eaton m90?) onto a 4.3l? I'm going with a small block in my Z but my daily driver 91 gmc p/u has a 4.3 and a little extra help never hurt! :twisted:

Thanks