HybridZ

Tranny for High HP (400HP+) L Series

Guest godspeed_racing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lockjaw,

I sent you a PM about helping you to obtain the chain tensioner, but you have not read it; its still showing "unread" in my PM Outbox.

Still, if you have an 'inside line' then you probably don't need any help anymore.

Just wanted to let you know that I did in fact offer to help.......

Alan,

I would love you to be able to source a complete Kameari L6 catalogue - My big 'L' engine will be receiving ongoing funds injections over the next few months now that my Z is on the road. Actually come to think of it, if they do FJ parts I would like a listing of them too, as among other things I'd like to fit some adjustable cam gears to my FJ20ET & places like HKS aren't doing them anymore...

You're always full of surprises!

Ben,

I will e-mail you direct about this.

Lockjaw,

I have PM'd you my direct e-mail address.

Hiten ( Godspeed Racing ),

I have replied to your PM, and sent my direct e-mail address.

v8dats,

You are correct, this thread did indeed start off on the subject of transmissions. It very quickly turned into something else, but I don't think that it was hijacked........... more a case of the conversation changing direction, perhaps?

To bring the thread back on track a little ( and as a little penance to myself for helping to divert the thread ), can I suggest an R32 Skyline 2WD transmission - normally found attached to the RB25DET engine? These are used in Japan with fabricated adaptors to mate them to the L6 engine block.

Alan T.

Valid points all round - The RB gearboxes can be fitted to L engines with a bellhousing adapter, or a bellhousing swap (C extension, B bellhousing). The RB20DET box is larger internally than the B series, the RB25DET box is also larger externally. I am considering the fitment of an RB20DET box behind my FJ20ET, as all that is required is slight crossmember modification & the slotting of the uppermost 2 mounting holes.

Yes, it's that easy.

Guest zline

You could use an SR mission with a L6 bellhousing.

Niteparts in australia makes the adapter. SR missions STOCK take 511rwhp every day all day and dont skip a beat.

Hugh in japan ran an OS Giken cross mission gear set and hardened input shaft and had ZERO problems with his uber high horsepower SR and the way he beat on it..is amazing.

Guest zline

You could use an SR mission with a L6 bellhousing.

Niteparts in australia makes the adapter. SR missions STOCK take 511rwhp every day all day and dont skip a beat.

Hugh in japan ran an OS Giken cross mission gear set and hardened input shaft and had ZERO problems with his uber high horsepower SR and the way he beat on it..is amazing.

what about the 1987 to 1989 nissan 300zx turbo transmissions? I heard a rumor that they use the same gears and stuff as a 300zxTT 5spd. just different housings/tail. I know there was a dude that was running one in his 300KPH ultra high HP L28ET powered 280zx. Overboost (I think) did a story on it. pretty badass.

McAdam

I thought the gearing sucked on the KA24 tranny. I guess it depends on what you're looking for out of the gearing, but isn't it like 3.5:1 1st gear? Pretty much same ratios as the Nissan T5, right?

Not exactly close ratio but maybe not so bad for a street car or a drag racer.

Hiten seemed to indicate that he wanted a closer gearset, like a 2.9:1 1st. Or am I putting words in your mouth Hiten?

Jon

Guest ON3GO

so far 10's have been done on a bone stock KA24 tranny... yeah drag racing but it was a high horse power KA turbo and it handled it fine with et streets and etc.

so i could very well be a strong and maybe cheap tranny for us L6 turbo guys.

mike

IHiten seemed to indicate that he wanted a closer gearset' date=' like a 2.9:1 1st. Or am I putting words in your mouth Hiten?

[/quote']

The T5 replacement gearset that I mentioned earlier has the following gear ratios:

There were a couple of choices for 5th, although I don't remember the other ratios offhand - they were whatever the standard available T5 5th gear ratios are.

Don't know if I mentioned it before, but this gearset is available with either regular syncros or dog-rings. My builder said that it should be possible to do a conventional synchro for 1st and dog-rings for the rest - kind of wish I had tried that...

I would really quiz those guys on the gear sets they are installing and how strong they are. When I was looking for a good tranny, i found a company in UK that was already doing a T5 upgrade, but they were a little unsure about the strength of the unit wil slicks. That is what made me say no go for them. They also have the dog ear type gera sets and the syncro gear sets.

I wonder if this is what Gforce is using??????????????????????/

I believe (but am not 100% sure since I wasn't there) that Andy ran in the "Fuel" class during one of the last runs at Bonneville. Since the engine was on it's way out with piston-pins having nice gouges in the block, he figured "WTF" and gave it a go.

But I'm not sure he used Methanol. He may have run Methanol, or Nitromethane in just enough porportion to change the specific gravity of the gasoline in the tank to get it to class as a "fuel" vehicle for the run.

It's straightforward, but expect some fun times with SS lines, and special methanol friendly fuel system components.

I know he has a clearanced NO2 Block prepped and ready to go to run in the Fuel/NO2 class but that's after breaking all the 2-litre records... :lol:

I would really quiz those guys on the gear sets they are installing and how strong they are. When I was looking for a good tranny' date=' i found a company in UK that was already doing a T5 upgrade, but they were a little unsure about the strength of the unit wil slicks. That is what made me say no go for them. They also have the dog ear type gera sets and the syncro gear sets.

I wonder if this is what Gforce is using??????????????????????/[/quote']

I'm pretty sure that the company in the UK is using somehting different. The gearset I have is _supposed_ to be the same thing that gForce is using. Is it really? dunno. I do know that the gears are much beffier than those of the standard WC T5, and that several have been used on high HP track cars with excellent results. The cars that I know of were not drag race cars.

Here is a pic of my gears next to a the equivalent gears from a brand new 'normal' WC T5 gearset:

gearset3.jpg

This pic gives a little more perspective on the size of the gear teeth...

gearset2.jpg

FWIW, even gForce has some disclaimers on drag race use with their gearset.