HybridZ

R200 LSD UPDATES.. YES bought a rear end!!!!

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

I would get ross's adapters but im very short on cash and Alex said he can make some as he has done it before and would charge me about half then ross's. sorry ross, hope you understand... your still the man!!

thanks for letting me no about the cover.

im also getting a solid mount being made!

mike

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest huskers

How do you tell if the R200 is a LSD? I have the chance to buy one out of an 83 280zx 2+2. It has the cv boots - I assume there are CV joints under there. Did the u joints have cv-like boots? The yard wants $175 for everything... diff, shafts, mustache bar and arms. One side has the rotor and caliper the other does not.

Thanks

The normal U joint shafts have a CV boot looking thing in the middle. Only a 280ZX Turbo and 300ZX had the CV jointed shafts. The only factory LSD's in the original R200 are the 87-89 Turbo 300ZX's to my knowledge, and they did make an 88 with a viscous LSD which takes different side shafts, so is generally avoided.

Jon

Don't really know what's needed. Maybe CV adapters would do it. I'm just not sure.

You can make a case for or against the VLSD system, but I personally like the clutch style. VLSD has to have build oil pressure in the carrier from spinning a tire before it reacts. Clutch type works all the time. The case for the VLSD would be that the clutch type works all the time, so it makes turn in not quite as good because it wants both rear tires to go the same speed, and you have to overcome that resistance before they start to differentiate.

Jon

Guest ON3GO

hmm im getting worried now. this car is white, with white wheels. but i have no clue if its a SS or not. i no its a finned rear cover. guy said it was a 87, and i thought 88 was the year for the SS.

so im worried here..

any idea guys.

remember the rear end is in florida, im here in texas.

mike

Yep, that what I remember. R200 datsun inner stub axles will work on clutch LSD but not VLSD. That also means 280zxt CV shafts slide into the clutch LSD and not VLSD. I have clutch LSD.

Right now I am only using u-jointed halfshafts. I am way behind.

the r200 with vlsd will have an orange sticker on the cover saying VISCOUS LIMITED SLIP or VLSD. The r200 with vlsd only came in white '88 naturally aspirated 300ZX SS edition. 87.5-89 turbo 300zxs had mechanical limited slip.

Easiest way to tell? The john coffey method. PULL THE DIFFERENTIAL COVER off! If it looks like this on the inside:

lsd.sized.jpg

It's a mechanical limited slip. To answer your original question, I paid $350 for mine with shafts converting it to use halfshafts (no cv conversion required), and the guy threw in a taurus 2 speed fan and solid mount for the diff, with halfshafts.

To the guy looking at the 83 zx 2+2, it's not a limited slip diff.

Guest ON3GO

well from what ive been told.. its a Turbo Z31.

so its not a VLSD then...?

im so burnt out on LSD (the rear end lol) right now from reading old posts and etc.

so what would i have to do the CV conversion with this vlsd.

mike

Nice pic Aux! If you look at the pic you can see one distinguishing feature that I'm 99% sure the VLSD won't have. The cross pin hole in the carrier with the V shaped hole. You can see it really clearly in Aux's pic. There would be no reason for the V shaped hole in a VLSD.

Jon

Mike,

If i remember right, 240Z Turbo made CV parts from an Eagle work for his VLSD. If this is what you have, then contact him or look at hiw web page.

For information on the clutch type Diff., look here:

LSD

For information on a viscous limited slip diff., look here:

VLSD

Just a little searching on the net revealed answers :wink: . Hopefully this will show you the +'s and -'s of each diff..

!M!

Not sure how I missed this thread.

Holy crap quaifes have gone up a lot. If you buy one straight from a dealer without the install it used to be around 1100$ for the cheapest place I could find. MSA wanted 1260$ (tha'ts - 140$ discount) + shipping. Then you have to find someone to put it in. It was defintiely worth it to me to go through Ross and have it done by a professional with lots of quaife expereince.

You won't believe the difference with a Quaife! It is amazing, no matter what speed you're going, you can feel it around the corners. There is no harsh engagement since it is cosntantly biasing torque.

I wouldn't trade it for anything - and just remember with a clutch type you have to rebuild after heavy use. The japanese exhibition racers who drive every day have to have theirs rebuilt every month.

Get whatever you can afford now but save up for a Quaife!

-Forrest

(ps where's my endorsement deal?)

I just picked up an LSD in a Kentucky junkyard for $175 today. I knew it was there for a couple months. The rear cover was busted from an accident. He wanted $50 for the pass side CV and $20 for the driver's. I passed so I could buy some other stuff. Everything inside this unit looks excellent and appears to function well. The oil was sparkling clean. I paid $200 or $250 for one in Dalton GA about 4 yrs ago and sold it (like a moron for $375 a yr later).

Supposedly the car owner was driving home from paying the final payment to the bank and totalled the car. Bummer.

After installing the first one in a 280ZXT, I took it for a drive and punched it where I normally drift a little,------and almost planted the car into a concrete barrier. Instead of one wheel slipping against the weight, the other side grabbed and launched it in the direction I was pointing.