HybridZ

Catalytic Converter(s)

This probably sounds like a strange subject but i am seriously planning on having these as part of my LS-1 installation. The car will be a daily commuter, not a track beast, so want to do the "environmentally correct" thing. Has anyone else out there included the cats as part of the installation?

Phantom

'77 280Z

2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd.

'90 Bronco II

Guest Anonymous

I think thats a good plan running a Cat, the hi flow ones lose nothing really HP wise, and the cat will actually usually dampen the exhaust just a bit too maybe taking out some of that resonance that can be a bummer when going down the road.

As the smog laws tighten up the feds will put increasing pressure on the states to enact programs (they're already doing it), the bottom line is performance and a 'Green' LS1 Z will still whoop butt debatably on anything Detroit has put out EVER from a performance standard. All that, good gas mileage and being able to pass any smog reg someone can throw at it, handle fairly well and the reduced weight from the aluminum V8 is a plus, I'd say thats the ideal muscle car IMHO.

Regards,

Lone

While we're talking cats, my '77 is a California version and has an L28 equipped with a catalyic converter. Lonehdrider is exactly right about it dampening the exhaust tone. It acts like a resonator and causes no noticable performance losses - and this is on a 25 year old unit with 200,000 miles on it. My emmission tests have been unreal - 70 ppm HC and .07% CO. 'course the cat is really for the NO's but those aren't showing up either so it must still be working. The best thing now though is that the car is 25 years old and, in Texas, no longer subject to emmissions testing. Yee Haw!!

• 6 months later...

Phantom or whoever,

LS1 Exhaust question

My 78 280Z was not a california car and was wondering if i will need to put catalytic converters in it? I am in CA now. After reviewing some smog law I believe that it mentioned that I will need to put everything smog related to the engine...not the exhaust...?

The main reason is that the 98 Camero has O2 sensors before and after the cat. To make this work i will have to install that cat and install the O2 sensors.

Are these O2 sensors apart of the engine or exhaust...and hows B.A.R. going to react if I dont put them in..(not apart of original equipment).. since they dont know everything about every car?

I can easily have them programed out.

But I believe i will need the check engine light installed on the vehical....I think they will check for that.

Guest Anonymous

I think I know the answer to the first question. If you car is I believe 73 and up you have to have cat. Why? Because it will not pass visual inspection. That is one of the steps of a smog check. So you need the stuff in the engine and the stuff on the car to pass the visual part.

Hmmm, that is a very interesting question regarding the cats. My first educated guess would be that you would not need them since they are considered part of the chassis. However, what you posed about the O2 sensors makes me very nervous about the whole thing. Man, it is more and more that the whole car is becoming one big emissions unit and one part cannot do without the other :rolleyes:

Davy

Its 74 and up that need to pass the smog requirements. However if for some reason your caught with a more modern engine in your car you can be flag for a referee inspection. Of course they need your consent, a warrant, or probable cause to search you engine bay.

Before I was into Zs I was into Camaros. Wanted to stuff a 502 in my 74, but I would've had to wait till 2004. That car was heavy it weight over 4000lbs. 1st ride in a Z changed that plan.

I believe the rule on cats is they are part of the emissions equipment and as such must be installed with an engine swap, at least in CA. Just like the charcoal cannister. The JTR manual talks a little about passing smog requirements, particularly those in CA. If it'll pass there, it'll pass pretty much everytwhere!

my understanding is such:

Federal requirement is that for swaps you use the engine and all emmisions equipment from the same year or newer car. Technically this includes the exhaust all the way to and including the Cat.

Pennsylvania doesn't treat swaps special, they require whatever was on the stock engine. so my 77 280Z had EGR and charcoal canister but no cat, meaning in the visual exam they will be looking for EGR and charcoal but not cat. Then the emissions must meet the requirements for the L6, which where I live only checks % and not flow. Also they allow for wear over the years by allowing a bit worse emissions each year. A clean running V8 should pass without trouble. (I hope confused2.gif )

Perry