HybridZ

Cutting Strut Tubes??

Guest FLiPSyDe71

Guest FLiPSyDe71

I purchased some coilover springs with Tokico Illumina's for shortened 280Z struts and I want my Z as low as Ted Fisher's Z shown here:

http://www.reactionresearch.com/Fisher%20PIR/images/img_49812_std.jpg

Can anyone you give me a round about idea about where and how much I should cut my tubes?...2 inches?...3? Do I just cut somewhere in the middle off and re-weld the top half of the tube so that I still have that "cup?" If anyone has pictures on how to do this procedure it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -jAy

Guest JAMIE T

I'm putting my suspension back together now. I sectioned my struts. It's been so long since I've done it that I don't remember exactly how much I cut out of them, but they measure 12 5/8"(front) from the bottom of the tube to the top. I also modified mine for coilovers(which the car you pictured probably has). Think about this, if you don't use coilovers, you will need to section your struts BELOW the spring perch to actually lower it with stock springs. Most guys who section there struts use lowering springs or coilovers. The sectioning actually only returns suspension travel to lowered cars. It prevents bottoming out the struts.

FWIW, the VW strut cartridge sits about 1/4-1/2" in the tube(I'll need to make spacers) on my set-up.

I cut mine in a "Cold Saw", but I know guys who have used pipe cutters, sawzall's, abrasive chop saw's, etc...

When welding them back together, simply clamp them into the "V" of a peice of angle iron. Tack it together in a couple of spots, un-clamp it and welderass up.

Adding a note here about a severely lowered car. Take into consideration the tire height and back spacing when doing such modifications. The unibody reinforcement that rides over the tires (from front to back over the front tires) will cause problems on typical street set-ups that have a lot of compliance in the suspension. I don't know if Ted's Z has a tube frame, but if not, I'll bet a dollar to a dime that the unibody is nearly resting on top of the tires. Here is an example of what I speak of (and I bet mine is at least a couple of inches higher than Ted's Z):

standard.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

Ya like that?! :D

Terry, what size tires are on the front of you car? I love to see huge tires on all four corners of street cars. Your's looks exceptional.

Can anyone you give me a round about idea about where and how much I should cut my tubes?...2 inches?...3? Thanks! -jAy

Someone has a write up, I've seen it before.

You need the strut cartridge to hit the bottom of the housing when tight, leaving a small amount of thread exposed at the gland nut. So if your struts are 3" shorter you need to shorten the tube 3" or you could go 2" and use a 1" spacer in the bottom of the tube but it must hit the bottom.

Also, I believe Ted is running 18"s and is still unibody. I didn't have enough time to check it out but it is one of the cleanest cars I've seen on a track, looks like a show car.

• 4 months later...