HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE swap into 240Z (pics)

cyrus

What the heck happened to his doors....? Did he have them open while backing up, and they got caught against a wall or something?? :lmao:

Guest shesha
What the heck happened to his doors....? Did he have them open while backing up, and they got caught against a wall or something?? :lmao:

Drive this car and you will cry like a baby win the boost hit you. and you going to start looking for an exit. :mrgreen:

um ok instead of you guys blowin off steam about lag and what not ( and by the way if you properly tune 900 whp the car will be responsive with no lag i.e. one fast mutha of a car ) now that i got that off my chest i need to ask you guys a serious question. do any of you guys know the install steps to putting a 2jz into a 240z , what you would need if you had a complete donor mk4 and would everything clear and what fabrication would you have to do , but if you guru's dont know i guess ill try some where else. sorry for being rude its just that i just sorted through 11 pages of non sense and nothing i didnt already understand. and if you guys are in the eastern p.a. area i have a 1990 mk3 toyota supra n/a for 3 grand for sale just to let you know. thanks

So your first post on this site... you whine, then you admit you're rude, then you spam info about a car for sale? :cuss:

Hmm... tough call

Updates: I have done repeat LM-1 wide band runs to tune with the SAFC-2 and have brought the AFR from 9.1 to 11.5 in a few places. I am shooting for 500 HP at the crank. I notice the car has a more poop at redline as I keep accidentally hitting it in first. In the past it would start to wane due to the richness. The car will launch nicely from 5000 RPM which feel like real scary until you get used to it. I am strugging with one issue though. The car pulls straight and nice until 100 at which I lift and gently apply the brakes. The car has a floating feel (darting) until the speed comes down to 80 or so. Any thought on stability.

Cyrus,

Have you added any aero items to the body work?

Air Dam, rear spoiler, wing, whale tail, etc.

If not you're experiencing the natural lift the Z has at speed.

If you have added aero items then I'm not sure what would cause the floaty feeling, you didn't add power steering did you?

What tires are you running and have you had it aligned?

Wheelman

• 3 weeks later...

I experienced the exact same thing driving Cliftons car at the drag strip. On the street and at freeway speeds above 80 it feels very solidly planted, but at the dragstrip felt real sketchy until it was below 80. Hell on the trip up to speed (right at 80+ the tires started to break loose all the way thru 3rd gear) the car felt so sketchy Im glad Clifton gave me the heads up.

I havent drag raced my own car (at the dragstrip) yet but it sure felt a little more solid and planted and the like, while doing similarly accelerated driving (Represenative of a Drag race run).

I think that might be the case, under good rear traction and the conditions that exist at a dragstrip, this might just be how the old school 240 chassis/body work feels at speed.

I experienced the exact same thing driving Cliftons car at the drag strip. On the street and at freeway speeds above 80 it feels very solidly planted, but at the dragstrip felt real sketchy until it was below 80. Hell on the trip up to speed (right at 80+ the tires started to break loose all the way thru 3rd gear) the car felt so sketchy Im glad Clifton gave me the heads up.

I havent drag raced my own car (at the dragstrip) yet but it sure felt a little more solid and planted and the like, while doing similarly accelerated driving (Represenative of a Drag race run).

I think that might be the case, under good rear traction and the conditions that exist at a dragstrip, this might just be how the old school 240 chassis/body work feels at speed.

I beg to differ, as my 240 tracks straight as an arrow at speed on the dragstrip. That was both when I ran radials at the track and now with the bias plys.

I have experienced a wider tire up front (245+) grabbing the ruts in the road and giving a bit of a twitch from side to side.

I don't have the turbo 2jz but i have several 2jzge's and the getrag is a nice tranny just very rare and expensive compared to the tremec units. So the benefits would be price, availability, and future rebuilds would be cheaper.

• 1 month later...
Who cares about his doors? Facts are he put a 2jz in a s130, possibly the first to do that. Now back to the topic....
Yea and hopefully the last!!! Personally I think the entire suspension on the s130 was a step backwards from the s30 chassis. Its heavier, it has worse suspension, and its uglier. Oh wait it had better A/C, (if you didn't get the automatic climate control) theres one plus to using that chassis.:-D BTW shesha thats not a Z its a ZX, Im surprised no one has pointed that out yet, theres a huge difference between the 2.

I beg to differ' date=' as my 240 tracks straight as an arrow at speed on the dragstrip. That was both when I ran radials at the track and now with the bias plys.

I have experienced a wider tire up front (245+) grabbing the ruts in the road and giving a bit of a twitch from side to side.[/quote']Thats exactly the case, Clifton and I both have 245 40 17's on 8 inch wheels up front. I didn't get enough runs to check it out but that might be exactly what I was experiencing.

Well, still fighting with the insurance company on my car - Sears is dragging their feet as hard as they can. Something about 60K worth of parts and their 16K "bluebook" figure not jiving is tough for them to understand Lawyer slowly beating them down I think. Scottie has sent me pics and vids of Zgads car flying - I *so* want to wrench on another 2JZ! :-(

Cyrus, I'd appreciate pics of the shifter on your car inside, where did it come out? I have a JDM importer right around the corner and while I'm currently poor fighting for my Supra I might be tempted to plan something if I can get the 6spd in there. Zgad, any chance of getting a mount like your's duped? :-)

Zgad, any chance of getting a mount like your's duped? :-)

I have had a few people ask about my engine cradle...

I have asked Mark at http://www.Mazworx.com to duplicate it, but since it is welded to the frame rails, he said that in order to get it to fit exact, he'd have to weld it in the car. Basically he'd need to build it there.

Mike

P.S. Good luck with the suit. It has been a LONG time.