HybridZ

rb26 vs. l28

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda o.t., but JOHN!

Borrow Andy's tires, take a run up to ElMirage, and try for a GT or MS record before you sell!

It would be one way for you to claim your $1 from me! :D

Seriously! Make a weekend trip, and get teched, and run it flat out for 1.3 miles to see where it goes. The only reason I say ElMirage is that you will probably have it sold by Bonneville, and that's a loooong drive for a lark!

I would like to see it up there, for no other reason than to sate my curiosity about the stock bodywork...

You have MORE than enough horsepower.

I think nobody has realized that Stony's car is an SCTA LEGAL GT-Class competitor (engine Swaps ARE permitted in GT! an RB26 powered stock-bodied 240 would shut a lot of people up about how fast you can REALLY go in an unaltered 240 as horsepower would not be an issue...)

A few comments...firstly, the Skyline that was at Buttonwillow was the Signal/Tanabe car brought in directly from Japan. The driver was pseudo-famous JGTC/D1 driver Tarzan Yamada. These guys definitely know what they were doing and the car was set up EXTREMELY well. Unfortunately though the RB26 powered cars seem to have a poor rate of atrition at the racetrack as I have never seen one complete any kind of event in one piece. RB Motoring/Sean Morris had their R32 Skyline there too which suffered rod knock immediately upon starting the car and didn't even make it a lap.

That isn't to say the RB isnt a great engine - it is - but I do agree with John in saying that the RB/SR motors are somewhat mythical in their reliable power output. Coming from the Supra world I am all too familiar with the 2JZ legends that are floating around - none of these engines are without SERIOUS problems.

If I could do it all again I would probably use a CA18DET - this is an amazing little engine. It's basically a 4 cylinder version of the RB26 with an iron block (weighs less than the SR's aluminum...), great head design and valvetrain, and extremely robust with massive rpm potential. The SR's head design is so shambolic that any time I approach 7000rpm I become afraid of rocker arms flying out.

Incidentially though Erik Messley just got done setting up my car and weighing it in the process. With a full tank of gas (15 gallon cell) the car weighed 2150lbs. I would almost certainly go with an RB26 if it wasnt for the 250+lb weight penalty it would give me. Currently I have some offers on the SR20 and will switch to a CA18 if it makes any sense.

A few comments...firstly' date=' the Skyline that was at Buttonwillow was the Signal/Tanabe car brought in directly from Japan. The driver was pseudo-famous JGTC/D1 driver Tarzan Yamada. These guys definitely know what they were doing and the car was set up EXTREMELY well. Unfortunately though the RB26 powered cars seem to have a poor rate of atrition at the racetrack as I have never seen one complete any kind of event in one piece. RB Motoring/Sean Morris had their R32 Skyline there too which suffered rod knock immediately upon starting the car and didn't even make it a lap.

That isn't to say the RB isnt a great engine - it is - but I do agree with John in saying that the RB/SR motors are somewhat mythical in their reliable power output. Coming from the Supra world I am all too familiar with the 2JZ legends that are floating around - none of these engines are without SERIOUS problems.

If I could do it all again I would probably use a CA18DET - this is an amazing little engine. It's basically a 4 cylinder version of the RB26 with an iron block (weighs less than the SR's aluminum...), great head design and valvetrain, and extremely robust with massive rpm potential. The SR's head design is so shambolic that any time I approach 7000rpm I become afraid of rocker arms flying out.

Incidentially though Erik Messley just got done setting up my car and weighing it in the process. With a full tank of gas (15 gallon cell) the car weighed 2150lbs. I would almost certainly go with an RB26 if it wasnt for the 250+lb weight penalty it would give me. Currently I have some offers on the SR20 and will switch to a CA18 if it makes any sense.[/quote']

I'm guessing Amir hasn't seen JGTC on Speed. I wonder if they still show it, haven't caught it in a few months...

This is the catch. An RB26 has to be prepped considerable to run on a road course. water jacket mods, oil baffle mods, oil cooling ect ect. If these are not completed even a bone stock rb26 will die after a few all laps on a high speed course. the JGTC cars are kinda in the same boat as german touring cars. They a heavily modified compared to there stock counterparts.

As far as drag racing goes.... An aftermarket oil pump, cooler and water pump, head work, cams, big turbo (S) and good tuning can generate 700+ reliable RWHP and can be use as a daily driver. This is not myth. I have a close friend here in Japan and several acquaintances that are pushing that kinda power... running there car often and driving to work daily for over 3 years now.

RB26s are not good road course motors unless heavily modified but drag motors they are very well suited. Id take an rb over just about any other motor anytime. Now before I get pinged I did say almost any motor.

OK, you've got a point, but how much does John have tied up in his engine??? I'm pretty sure if he doesn't have a baffled pan then he has a dry sump...

My point is just that if the same amount of serious racing know how (not "tuner" mods) was put into a Skyline that 700 hp Skyline should whip John's Z.

The problem is that nobody "races" Skylines in the US. They do in Europe and Japan, but not here. That may very well have been John's point too. John's car is unbelievably fast for a Z. Really unbelievably fast. For a Z.

Jon

Guest porschephile

This is the catch. An RB26 has to be prepped considerable to run on a road course. water jacket mods' date=' oil baffle mods, oil cooling ect ect. If these are not completed even a bone stock rb26 will die after a few all laps on a high speed course.[/quote']

What are you referring to by water jacket mods? Do you mean some sort of machine work that flows coolant more efficiently, or something along those lines?

I fully understand the rest, and the scope of just how much work and money it would take to use an rb26, or any engine for that matter, for road course work. That's one of the reasons my project is taking me so long and I've encountered many people telling me I'm wasting money and doing unnecessary things when I should just do bpu mods and turn up the boost. Well, they are just plain morons! :wink: There's no way a stock rb26 would last in basically stock form through all the constant abuse of road racing for any extended length of time. Sure, if I went to a road track and ran a couple laps it would be okay, however I want to race a little more than that! A stock radiator, oil cooler, sump, etc etc just isn't sufficient for driving that hard for an hour or more.

OK, you've got a point, but how much does John have tied up in his engine??? I'm pretty sure if he doesn't have a baffled pan then he has a dry sump...

Nissan Comp (Dan Oldenberg) 8 quart oil pan, turbo oil pump with big springs, blocked off oil filter bypass, opened up return orifices in the head. That's it for oiling system changes.

FYI... its not a fair comparison using my engine and an RB26. My engine is NA, the RB is turbo'd. My engine was built for a specific set of rules and its being compared with essentially an unlimited RB26. Maybe if we looked at one of the old Electromotive turbo engines and compared it with the RB26.

I'm guessing Amir hasn't seen JGTC on Speed. I wonder if they still show it, haven't caught it in a few months...

Actually I am well versed with the JGTC and have been watching it this year quite alot...not on Speed btw.

The Skyline (which has now been replaced by the 350Z in the JGTC) actually ran a VQ33DET which is a destroked turbo version of the VQ35 found in the G35 and 350Z. The SR20DET's they run in GT300 class have EXTREME valvetrain modifications - by extreme i mean redrilling the head to accept a shim/bucket arrangement, using a CA18 camshaft and a ton of other stuff. There is basically nothing even close to stock about the SR valvetrain in those cars.

I don't believe the Skyline has ever run the RB26 in JGTC (but I could be mistaken), much like the Supra used the 4 cylinder 3SGTE for weight and balance. FYI, the Supra now uses a 5.3L V8 with a rear mounted transmission in JGTC. Comparing a near-stock RB26 with any JGTC engine is really not appropriate.

We are basically arguing whether Superman could beat up Mighty Mouse is what I'm saying. This is all purely theoretical.

John has what 30K in his engine? More? 40? Put that into the RB and you can make it bulletproof.

Comparing a near stock RB26 to a JGTC is not appropriate, you're absolutely right. Either is comparing John's car to some tuner car. I can show you a car with 275 hp that will run John's Z down like a dog in the street. It's called a formula atlantic. But it doesn't prove a thing. Apples to oranges. John is obviously seriously down on power to the Skyline, but he has a well sorted chassis that makes up the difference.

My point was that if you threw enough money and more importantly know how at a Skyline you could make it faster than John's Z. I stand by that statement, and I'll be happy to prove it if someone would like to fund my experiment.

Again a futile argument because you could throw more money at John's car. And back again to the Skyline, etc ad infinitum.

What are you referring to by water jacket mods? Do you mean some sort of machine work that flows coolant more efficiently, or something along those lines?

the freeze plugs removed in the rear p[art of the head and water lines installed, this moves more water thru the head.

I think comparing any type of pro motor to a motor that is availble to us is really kinda mute. This kinda sounds like a chevy ford dispute.

John C has a point. his motor is built for a specific class. and would out perform any non prepped rb26. and any prepped rb26 that would withstand what he does with the L does would not be legal to run against him.

So RB26 vs L28 on a road course L-28 1 RB26 0

Ok now lets talk about drag racing ;> :D

My RB26 powered (early) '74 260Z with full interior and 10 gallons of gas weighs 2721 lbs.

I'm not sure of the weight of just the engine.

Hope this helps' date=' Chris[/quote']

OUCH! Admittedly I have far from a full interior, but a 600lb weight difference is a little shocking.